Crumpets

canopus1969

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Just looked at this and looks interesting, but where would I buy CRUMPET RINGS in LOS? lol

Lazada has quite a good selection of baking rings. These should do, as should the various silicone ones they sell. They also do sets of shaped ones if you want fancy crumpets.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nonstick-stainless-steel-handle-round-egg-rings-fried-egg-mold-shaper-pancakes-molds-ring-cooking-tools-intl-i222775108-s339986119.html

Crumpets are really very easy to make, with none of the skill/experience that baking bread often requires.

I always buy my crumpets in Siamsburies on Soi Kao Talo. 95 baht for a pack of 6. Much bigger than Warburtons crumpets, locally made. Not quite as good as Warburtons but more filling, I usually have 2 Warburtons for breakfast, one of these is enough. Also, occasionally sell Warburtons when his friend brings a batch over.

I've also bought the same crumpets at British Ex Pat Stores on Soi Siam.

If you want to try before you buy, the same crumpets are served for breakfast (with tea) at Simon's Café in Soi 5 Jontien.

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

I always buy my crumpets in Siamsburies on Soi Kao Talo. 95 baht for a pack of 6. Much bigger than Warburtons crumpets, locally made. Not quite as good as Warburtons but more filling, I usually have 2 Warburtons for breakfast, one of these is enough. Also, occasionally sell Warburtons when his friend brings a batch over.

If you want to try before you buy, the same crumpets are served for breakfast (with tea) at Simon's Café in Soi 5 Jontien.

Brilliant -= thank you I will try there

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

Those crumpets at Siamburys are truly horrible, tried once never again. They are doughy and very heavy, not like a real crumpet at all.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:38 AM, giddyup said:

Those crumpets at Siamburys are truly horrible, tried once never again. They are doughy and very heavy, not like a real crumpet at all.

I'd have thunk there's gonna be a compromise in quality when the name of the store is Siambury's. Maybe try Thaisco's?

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:38 AM, giddyup said:

To be fair, they have improved (slightly) recently, but I do generally agree with you. Personally, I don't eat them often but my Thai wife is addicted to crumpets, eats them every day.

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I'd have thunk there's gonna be a compromise in quality when the name of the store is Siambury's. Maybe try Thaisco's?

Not necessarily when a lot of their stuff is imported from the UK. I don't know if the "crumpets" are locally made or not.

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Pretty shure that they are.

Have you tried them, read the packet for where they are made? That aside, a good crumpet could just as easily be made in Thailand as a bad one. The sausages that Siamburys  sells are very nice, as is the cheese, curry sauces etc. So your comment re the fact that they may be made in Thailand and quality compromised is irrelevant.

Yes I agree that the locally made crumpets (eg: Siambury's) are far too doughy and that reflects on the taste.

But Villa Supermarket still have crumpets in the freezer behind the eggs. 

They are a pack of 6. They are more expensive, but the taste and moistness is yummy.

So if you into crumpets as an alternative snack sometimes then these definitely fit the bill.

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

This is what a crumpet should look like, soft, spongy and full of holes. It should also fit in a toaster slot, unlike the ones from Siamburys that I have to cut in half.

images.jpg

My favorite is this shop in Seattle.  In Thailand I vary between Crumpets and English Muffins for breakfast. Last ones I bought were at Foodland. 

crumpet-shop.jpg

crump.jpg

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So your comment re the fact that they may be made in Thailand and quality compromised is irrelevant.

LoL. Never made any such comment!

I buy them regularly. My wife eats them every day. The packet has no markings of any kind and looks a bit amateurish. The quality varies slightly from batch to batch. All of which leads me to suspect that they are locally made. Used to sell pies made by a retired British guy who did it as a bit of a hobby/pin money. Suspect that these crumpets may come from a similar source.

Not in the same league as Warburtons, but no crumpets are, Hovis comes a poor second in my book.

If you really want to identify the source, pop in, buy a packet and have a chat with the owner, English guy who is always happy to talk about the produce he sells.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

This is what a crumpet should look like, soft, spongy and full of holes. It should also fit in a toaster slot, unlike the ones from Siamburys that I have to cut in half.

images.jpg

Fit in my toaster just fine. Suggest you invest in a decent toaster.

Archived