Foreign tourist arrivals grow 11% over first 7 months of 2018

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And as Guiliani said, truth is not truth. The planet earth is not within our solar system, and our solar system does not contain a sun. We are nowhere near he milky way, and all salmon is wild, not farmed. Candy is good for you, and so is tobacco. Prayuth is a good man, and has only the Thai people's well being at heart. Same with Trump. Honest as the day is long. Thai drivers are incredibly conscientious, and careful, and very talented. And the government is going to start giving us 10 year visas, because we contribute so much to the Thai economy. 

Now your talking ? a positive post, we need more of these, less of the "fake" news which contradicts the official lies stance. ?

7 minutes ago, alant said:

from the other comment they must be in Pattaya, don't see them here

DSC_1348.JPG

DSC_1349.JPG

DSC_1340.JPG

DSC_1326.JPG

Virtually everyone I speak to in the tourism industry says the same thing. Business is way, way down. Has been for years. They are attempting to make up for this precipitous drop with the Chinese market. But, it means far less money for the people in the industry. Most Chinese just do not spend the kind of money the previous groups of tourists spent. Whether it be Samui, Hua Hin, Bangkok, or elsewhere. Someone is waking up with a very long nose. Someone is not telling the truth!

1 hour ago, at15 said:

any statistics put out by the thai government are as good as toilet paper so who the hell knows. all i know is white people are not coming here anymore like in the past. I was in line at DMK immigration and i could not see one other white person just hundreds of chinese. 

You were in the wrong line then, White people should not be in the line for Chinese

As stated in many posts It is clear the Chinese tourists money is not being spread around, just a privileged and greedy few riding on the package tours.

While these elites are raking it in the fate of the industry at large is of no consequence.

I'm on Samui and you only have to drive round the island to see there's no tourists here and the vacant shops restaurant and bars that are closed.theres a hotel out front of my house and it until 2 days ago zero rooms rented ,now have 4 or 5 rooms taken out of 24 . instead of lowering the price this idiot puts up the price .can see the bank foreclosing on him very soon ..

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

'Foreign tourist arrivals grow 11% in first 7 months' - 

Yes, of course they have, of course they have ....

I dont know about the rest of Thailand but lower sukhumvit is jammed packed and T21 is bursting, many still walking around with their suitcases and forget the food court between 12-3pm. Nearly all chinese/japanese though

43 minutes ago, zmak said:

I dont know about the rest of Thailand but lower sukhumvit is jammed packed and T21 is bursting, many still walking around with their suitcases and forget the food court between 12-3pm. Nearly all chinese/japanese though

Same I saw a couple of weeks ago.

From MBK to Asoke never have seen so many people in Bkk. Many shopping in the malls. Just jammed.

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Really? Packed where? Name places , will take a drive and post photo’s

I live in Central Pattaya, I have never known it so quiet and that includes the Shopping Malls like Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang. 

The only time in Pattaya with tourists not Chinese is December/January as has been said the euro/sterling Tourist is diminishing along with the number who live here permanently.

16 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

I live in Central Pattaya, I have never known it so quiet and that includes the Shopping Malls like Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang. 

The only time in Pattaya with tourists not Chinese is December/January as has been said the euro/sterling Tourist is diminishing along with the number who live here permanently.

Oh gosh yes, that Big C is a major indicator of visiting tourists no doubt.

4 hours ago, BestB said:

And yet driving around Pattaya nothing but empty chairs in restaurants, bars and hotels .

4 hours ago, Deli said:

Leave out the Chinese and you see a figure remarkably lower. Lao people are mostly boarder crossers, but counted as tourists, some of the Malaysian, too.

*Old* and former cash cow tourists like the Europeans are definitely less and less in Thailand. For many reasons.

You got that exactly right I'm thinking 

7 hours ago, z42 said:

And we'll never know whose anal cavity this steaming pile was pulled from. But with so many businesses in tourist towns struggling or closing, one really has to wonder where all these tourists are going, and how beneficial for the local economy they actually are.

Are you kidding?  The 711s are the new buffet centers for the Chinese many buy the food and can enjoy it while standing and watching the auto doors open and close. 

1 hour ago, jamie2009 said:

People actually go shopping when on holiday, not just sit round Swimming Pools, on the Beach or in Bars you sarcastic ***

Yes, you verify points I have made.

They love Central and I see more in Central Marina. And Royal Garden for the first floor cheap stuff.  T21 will be a major tourist destination.

But, sorry to disappoint you they rarely if ever go up Klang to Big C.

That is mostly a Thai and ex-pat hangout, not a tourist spot.  Not a good place to survey how many tourists are in town.

Anyone who has a bar/restaurant for Falang/expat type customer business model should think twice. Those numbers are dwindling and will keep going down. I bet in 10 years there are very few left.  And at this point, there are way too many of those type businesses here.

If I made a mistake and had such a business and saw my business slowly deteriorating, I would get out sooner then later.  Or start putting up Chinese language and totally change my business model.  I think the first option is probably best.

9 hours ago, arithai12 said:

It would be interesting to know how they count the generated revenue and especially how much of that is actually going to the Thai economy.

In a recent estimate, I saw a figure equivalent to 5,500B/day for each chinese tourist in Phuket, that seemed a bit strange when most of them are in pre-paid tours which are based on chinese-owned airlines, hotels and restaurants.

As for 12.67 million domestic tourists in June, that means 1 in 5 is a tourist in June including children and grandparents, yeah sure. Maybe more like 12M domestic trips?

"Maybe more like 12M domestic trips?"

Yes, and including Thais travelling home for Songkran!

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Anyone who has a bar/restaurant for Falang/expat type customer business model should think twice. Those numbers are dwindling and will keep going down. I bet in 10 years there are very few left.  And at this point, there are way too many of those type businesses here.

If I made a mistake and had such a business and saw my business slowly deteriorating, I would get out sooner then later.  Or start putting up Chinese language and totally change my business model.  I think the first option is probably best.

So in your expert opinion all should either open 7-11 stores or Chinese restaurants catering to Chinese groups ?

I just returned from a trip to Malaysia.

On the way out, Don Muang airport , jammed,and I mean jammed packed.

hurds of sheep blocking even exit/entry doors , could not get to screens to see which gate my flight was at.

check in took 2 hours, immigration took another hour.

got through , decided to get some food. Chicken place in front of McDonald, jammed, not  a single sit.

anyhow ordered and watching tables to get a sit, only to realize all sits are taken by Chinese eating noodles.

Then a big argument, Chinese woman screaming at staff and demanding they give her hot water for free to make her mama noodles.

point of this long rant is the very same Chinese that people rave on seeing around occupied entire restaurant only not to spend a single baht in there but eat their own noodles and demand free hot water and then staff have to clean up as well. 

44 minutes ago, BestB said:

So in your expert opinion all should either open 7-11 stores or Chinese restaurants catering to Chinese groups ?

Image result for photos of crowded chinese beach

These are Chinese at a beach. They are OK with this.

I think people underestimate what is happening.  The Chinese transition.

Before it was the Japanese.

The Koreans.

The Russians.

The Chinese coming here in the future is 100 fold.

Millions more are coming.  Then millions more after that.

They love Thailand so very very much.

I do not know what business to open....  I could care less I do not need the money or headaches.

All I know is I am going to enjoy this place while it is still OK.  Falang will be way in the past at some point.

In 10 years it will be so so different. Just wait, you will see....

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The top five countries of origin were China, Malaysia, South Korea, Laos and India

Laos ? :excl:  ..

Was in Nong Khai this afternoon ;

The Mekong is very high;

one meter more and it will go in the town .

About tourists..It's like a desert ;

nobody in the streets,

nobody in Indochina market ;

have a look at my photos I shot a few hours ago

P1040343_Nong_Khai.JPG

P1040348_Nong_Khai.JPG

P1040344_Nong_Khai.JPG

Wonder where all those tourists are, I only see less, everything except more for sure.
Guess they are counting each entry, in which case I would count for 10 tourists this year already.

Perhaps a Thai is now also included in the numbers when flying in or out, otherwise we are just talking about Chinese that visit for a few days and not spend anything in the consumer places. Also only see more businesses closing, and the new ones that open are offering crap.

Would be more realistic to count 1 tourist per 20 chinese arriving in statistics. 

Oh here we go again with the inflated numbers...tons of empty hotel rooms..x% of Chinese not coming because of the boating accident in Phuket...and there is an 11% increase???...You gotta love TAT...They can make any company looking to show a profit look great with their math

Archived