Foreign tourist arrivals grow 11% over first 7 months of 2018

webfact

fto.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 21 August 2018 (NNT) - Thailand's Ministry of Tourism and Sports has revealed that the number of foreign visitors in the first seven months of the year has grown by 11% from last year, while the number Chinese tourists is beginning to recover following the fatal Phuket boat accident last month. 

Permanent Secretary for Tourism and Sports, Pongpanu Svetarundra, said that arrivals in July totaled more than 3.1 million. Most tourists originated in East Asia, followed by Europe, South Asia and the Americas. Compared to the same period of last year, the number of tourists grew by 2.85%. The top five countries of origin were China, Malaysia, South Korea, Laos and India, indicating recovering sentiment among Chinese tourists after a fatal boat accident in Phuket the same month. 

Travel spending in July generated more than 1.6 billion baht in revenue, an increase of 6.38% from the same period last year. In the first seven months of this year, the total number of tourists topped 22 million, an increase of 11% from the same period last year, and generated over 1.1 trillion baht in revenue, an increase of 14.44% over the same period of last year. 

As for domestic tourism in June, up to 12.67 million Thais traveled around the country, an increase of 3.5% percent from the same period last year. Domestic spending is expected to generate up to 77 billion baht in revenue, 7% higher than last year. Despite the positive growth, issues that need to be closely monitored include global trade disputes and rising benchmark interest rates in the United States.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we'll never know whose anal cavity this steaming pile was pulled from. But with so many businesses in tourist towns struggling or closing, one really has to wonder where all these tourists are going, and how beneficial for the local economy they actually are.

It would be interesting to know how they count the generated revenue and especially how much of that is actually going to the Thai economy.

In a recent estimate, I saw a figure equivalent to 5,500B/day for each chinese tourist in Phuket, that seemed a bit strange when most of them are in pre-paid tours which are based on chinese-owned airlines, hotels and restaurants.

As for 12.67 million domestic tourists in June, that means 1 in 5 is a tourist in June including children and grandparents, yeah sure. Maybe more like 12M domestic trips?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the number of foreign visitors in the first seven months of the year has grown by 11% from last year

if the numbers can be believed then, living on the edge of a well-known tourist area, it means more parts of town that i avoid due to excessive,rude tourists

47 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Good! Just don´t overstay your welcome on repeated exempt entries and too many tourist visas, and we will get along just fine.

Yes, obey the policy the laws and the rules and do not complain if caught in violation.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

and how many of them went home in one piece ? or went home at all

Time Thailand started investing the many "Trillions" they earn/earned from tourism in infrastructure - Safety standards and agencies to support and enforce them - yes it costs a lot of money to enforce standards but would only be a tiny fraction of what you rake in from tourists

11% jump ?  Thats enormous . Its amazing there's any hotel rooms vacant anywhere in Thailand.

Whenever i come over the bridge on ChaoPraya river  there don't seem to be alot of lights on in the big riverside hotel rooms nor the condos.

11%  in 7 months?

Leave out the Chinese and you see a figure remarkably lower. Lao people are mostly boarder crossers, but counted as tourists, some of the Malaysian, too.

*Old* and former cash cow tourists like the Europeans are definitely less and less in Thailand. For many reasons.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

Leave out the Chinese and you see a figure remarkably lower. Lao people are mostly boarder crossers, but counted as tourists, some of the Malaysian, too.

*Old* and former cash cow tourists like the Europeans are definitely less and less in Thailand. For many reasons.

??

Leave out the Chinese?

Yes, the numbers are up because of so many of them are coming here as tourists....

Euros and Americans are a thing of the past, except backpackers.

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

And yet driving around Pattaya nothing but empty chairs in restaurants, bars and hotels .

Where are you driving, the Darkside?

I live in Central it is packed every where with people everyday. More then I have ever seen for slow season.

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Where are you driving, the Darkside?

I live in Central it is packed every where with people everyday. More then I have ever seen for slow season.

Really? Packed where? Name places , will take a drive and post photo’s

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Really? Packed where? Name places , will take a drive and post photo’s

You can post photos to support your claim of all the empty places.  I have better things to do but I will look forward to your pics.

Thanks ?

Just now, bkk6060 said:

You can post photos to support your claim of all the empty places.  I have better things to do but I will look forward to your pics.

Thanks ?

So no places you can name that are full? ???

2 hours ago, z42 said:

And we'll never know whose anal cavity this steaming pile was pulled from. But with so many businesses in tourist towns struggling or closing, one really has to wonder where all these tourists are going, and how beneficial for the local economy they actually are.

To Pattaya! Enjoying fully dressed pool orgies.

any statistics put out by the thai government are as good as toilet paper so who the hell knows. all i know is white people are not coming here anymore like in the past. I was in line at DMK immigration and i could not see one other white person just hundreds of chinese. 

2 minutes ago, at15 said:

any statistics put out by the thai government are as good as toilet paper so who the hell knows. all i know is white people are not coming here anymore like in the past. I was in line at DMK immigration and i could not see one other white person just hundreds of chinese. 

DMK handles regional airlines,  so that's hardly surprising! ?

1 minute ago, Small Joke said:

DMK handles regional airlines,  so that's hardly surprising! ?

yes but its still an international airport comparing to past years there was always some Caucasian presence coming in as well 

The entire country is very slow right now, with regard to tourism. Granted there were some busier periods earlier this year, but this is a fake narrative if I have ever seen one.

And as Guiliani said, truth is not truth. The planet earth is not within our solar system, and our solar system does not contain a sun. We are nowhere near he milky way, and all salmon is wild, not farmed. Candy is good for you, and so is tobacco. Prayuth is a good man, and has only the Thai people's well being at heart. Same with Trump. Honest as the day is long. Thai drivers are incredibly conscientious, and careful, and very talented. And the government is going to start giving us 10 year visas, because we contribute so much to the Thai economy. 

Archived