Khon Kaen heart surgeon forced to live like a pauper in run down property

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The doctor complained that he had had to do his own repairs amounting to 100,000s of baht. One such repair undertaken was to some pipes.

I'm guessing he went for a bypass when mere angioplasty would suffice.

• Like 2

I would have assumed a heart surgeon  could afford a decent little house in a development. Or a nice little rental. 

Also, many doctors come from fairly well-off families and can afford to study overseas, so you’d have thought there might have been family money for a place. 

• Like 2

A heart surgeon makes less than a dentist?  I have a hard time believing that he can't afford to live very comfortably outside of the hospital supplied (run-down) residences.  Therefore it becomes a choice.  I'm not going to jump on the 'poor doctor' bandwagon.  Things don't add up.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chivo said:

I would have assumed a heart surgeon  could afford a decent little house in a development. Or a nice little rental. 

Also, many doctors come from fairly well-off families and can afford to study overseas, so you’d have thought there might have been family money for a place. 

Most Thai Doctors have to run their own clinics outside of hospital hours to make money.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I also think so.

And he will have to earn a reputation and savings before opening his own clinic or doing big money at the private hospitals.

But a decent apartment in KK should be available for about 5000.

Granddaughter studying at a college (not far from the uni) has an AC apartment for 4000.

what often happens is during the miserably low salary training years they sign contracts with private hospitals agreeing to work for them in exchange for financial help to make ends meet til they graduate. a neurosurgeon friend did this even though his family is quite ok.

• Like 1

This when the lack of Cardiologists is severe here in Thailand especially in the public hospital sector.

The waiting list is almost 6 months long to get Cardio treatment here at the public hospital, especially in the south of Thailand, lack of doctors and equipment.?

• Like 1