Changes to retirement visa income affidavit requirement for Americans?

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No, the U.S. Embassy is not... Not in CM. Not in BKK.

Thai Immigration, however, always reserves the right to ask to see documentation as part of reviewing one's extension application.  Most of the time, however, Immigration does not also.

Oh well if they ever do ask I've got what they want but it's in English. 

5 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

Oh well if they ever do ask I've got what they want but it's in English. 

Lately, there has been what seems to be an increased number of posts from CM people claiming Thai Immigration at CM asked them for backup documentation. But there also have been concurrent posts from others in CM saying they were not asked.

So it's clearly not a blanket policy there, but may be some form of increased selective local enforcement.

But outside of CM, lately, I've heard nothing of any kind of broad Immigration requests for backup documentation re income affidavits.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

10 minutes ago, Issanjohn said:

Is it true what people are saying that immigration might be asking for it?  

Only in Chiang Mai have there been recent reports of it. 

Immigration can ask for it but it does not have to be proof from the source of it. A bank book or statement can be used to show you are getting it,

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only in Chiang Mai have there been recent reports of it. 

Immigration can ask for it but it does not have to be proof from the source of it. A bank book or statement can be used to show you are getting it,

Okay well I'm not worried about it I'll just make sure that I always bring my VA pension letters with me whenever I go to renew my extension.  If you are retired military and or a disabled veteran on eBenefits you can pull 2 income verification letters literally anytime you want presigned which actually reflects the date that you pulled your current letter on the official letter head and they even have the official watermark.  If you are a disabled veteran and or retired military as I am and if you don't have an eBenefits account just call the VA and have them set up a premium account for you.  The premium eBenefits account gives you access to more of your own information and records, including appointment schedules if you're not using TRICARE.  You can access your TRICARE information as well from eBenefits.  It's a great system when it's working over the past few months it's been down quite a bit but it seems to be working perfectly the last time I logged in which was yesterday.

I would definitely use those letters from the source if asked to produce back up proof because I don't have a Thai bank account I still use my bank in the states and I always will.  But those letters from the VA should be more than enough if you've ever seen them you know what I'm talking about.  I even have my Thai address on file with them so my name and my Thai address shows up below the letter head.  

FWIW, I was at BKK Immigration Chaengwattana today to get another annual retirement extension -- American long stayer with a Consulate Income affidavit.

I was not asked for any backup documentation for my income affidavit, and since the whole Non-O extensions area was pleasantly quiet while I was there (no crying, begging, wailing), I saw no sign that others around me were being asked for backup documentation either.

Same process as usual. Nothing remarkable or different, at least for BKK.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Gave my 4x6 cm pictures to the agent, plus my income affidavit representing my Air Force retirement pay. For some reason, the IO wanted further proof I was entitled to Air Force retirement pay......

1312721427_oldairforcepilot45psd.jpg.9778526837a574064c40c36f52b62dac.jpg

Hey Jim, if that's you in the photo above, I think I spotted you at Immigration the other day!  :biggrin:

Meanwhile, as for the income affidavit, maybe it would work better without the agent????

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Gave my 4x6 cm pictures to the agent, plus my income affidavit representing my Air Force retirement pay. For some reason, the IO wanted further proof I was entitled to Air Force retirement pay......

1312721427_oldairforcepilot45psd.jpg.9778526837a574064c40c36f52b62dac.jpg

But they would have accepted this picture if you had worn your false teeth for the photo.  Live and learn.

Let me guess.... Might this have been Chiang Mai Immigration?

John, when this picture was snapped, I was subsequently declared DNIF (duty not including flying), as the stubble interfered with a snug mask fit. However, I had removed my lip and ear piercings, in accordance with Air Force regs. Unfortunately, I hadn't removed the navel piercing, which in subsequent flights, I found interfered with the G-suit bladder.

History behind this photo. Taken in Iceland by jocks from the F-102 squadron stationed there. This guy was a local wino (as I heard, afterwards they cleaned him up and made sure he found adequate shelter) Photo is fairly common (or was in my day) in squadron ops. Notation at bottom of photo:

308316072_oldairforcepilot4.jpg.67dfa39f7a453721c91c42aa9c58e5af.jpg

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2018 at 11:15 PM, pmarlowe said:

As we have seen there are several ways to do it. I prefer keeping the 800k in the bank for two reasons.

1. you only need an up to date bankbook and a letter from your branch (I use SCB).

2. you might want to think about being liquid to that amount locally in case of a short term emergency rather than waiting for an overseas transfer.

Not everyone can manage this and others simply will not agree. Just trying to be helpful.

I agree. This has always seemed the most obvious and easy way to do it.

I guess many simply don't have the cash to do this. In that case they are living too close to the line to suit me.

If one had the cash they should be happy to have planted an international banking flag.. With the globe  in economic turmoil and way too many countries swimming in debt they can never pay it seems wise not to keep all your money in one country.

In my Shining Country of Freedom across the sea Bail-ins are now the law., just as in Europe. So like Cypress a few years ago failed banks seize some of your money and give you stock in the failed bank.

I personally keep modest accounts in Singapore, Canada, and Thailand as well as at home.. I trust no government anywhere let alone a bank.

8 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I guess many simply don't have the cash to do this. In that case they are living too close to the line to suit me.

In UK terms, 20,000 pounds, for most people, is not something that can be afforded to lie around in a Thai bank as cash and for all intents and purposes is untouchable.  That doesn't mean they are close to the 'bread line'.  I couldn't afford to 'freeze' that kind of cash and therefore use the income route as that far exceeds the required income.

In UK terms, 20,000 pounds, for most people, is not something that can be afforded to lie around in a Thai bank as cash and for all intents and purposes is untouchable.  That doesn't mean they are close to the 'bread line'.  I couldn't afford to 'freeze' that kind of cash and therefore use the income route as that far exceeds the required income.
It's not untouchable...it's just you can't let the balance drop below Bt800K any time during the 3 months before the date you apply for extension renewal. For the other 9 months spend the money at will...draw it down to a low balance close to zero if desired. Put the money in an interest paying account like the a Krungsri Mee Tai Dai account paying around 1.3% interest with debit card and ibanking.

• 2 months later...

It almost appears that a coalition of the western countries is trying to pressure Thailand into doing things their way. What is the likelihood of this tactic succeeding? Does expat income have enough impact on the economy to justify the government backtracking on its decision?  Thailand and other countries reluctantly accepted FATCA regulations, but now it's more difficult to open a bank account here if you are American. It has always appeared to me that Thai authorities did not care about what other countries thought or wanted. Is there something I am missing???

On 8/22/2018 at 6:45 AM, gk10002000 said:

I don't have a pension, I don't collect social security yet.  I do have over one million USD invested in dividend and interest paying things, stocks, bonds, Funds, etc.  I can show the income they produced last year, and Etrade has a simple income estimator that lists the amounts of dividend and interest for any period in the future. Bank statements per say won't show much as I have not withdrawn a single penny from my brokerage account or IRA accounts yet since I am still working.  I guess we shall see in the future what they may need or want.  If they get too picky, well, so be it.  I can be fine with two SETVs with a 30 day extension each year for a total of 180 days and not go for the visas with retirement extensions.  I could always do the 800k baht but that would be a last resort since I prefer to keep my monies in my home country and invested where they are

100% said.

On 8/21/2018 at 7:11 AM, Wuvu2 said:

This is the case for many who were self-employed.

Self-employed people also have Social Security in the USA. All self employed must give SS taxes (both employer and employee contributions) based on their incomes. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 6:45 PM, gk10002000 said:

I prefer to keep my monies in my home country and invested where they are

Agreed. Or get an O-A visa good for two years (one year + one year bonus). There is a youtube video where the guy got an O-A visa by submitting his IRA statements. I would do that next time. Submit my 401K statements. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 8:55 PM, atyclb said:

can condo ownership in thailand be used in lieu of the 800k baht (assuming the condo is worth that or multiples of that amount) ?

I don't think so. Rent from condo may be. But the condo by itself should not fly I think. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2018 at 11:29 PM, onera1961 said:

I don't think so. Rent from condo may be. But the condo by itself should not fly I think. 

You'd have to research it yourself, but I remember well that if you had $90,000 USD (foreign source) invested in a condo you qualified for a special visa. I know a guy who did it that way because he was in his early 40s.  

43 minutes ago, cusanus said:

You'd have to research it yourself, but I remember well that if you had $90,000 USD (foreign source) invested in a condo you qualified for a special visa. I know a guy who did it that way because he was in his early 40s.  

Extensions based on investment are possible - 10M Baht is needed (was 3M Baht for awhile in the past), and can be put into Govt-Banks, Govt-Bonds, New-Condos, and possibly some other things.  As long as you don't sell, the extension is renewable annually forever.

Edited by JackThompson

On 12/28/2018 at 6:12 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Unrelated and just curious. Can a foreigner get a reverse mortgage, home of line credit or whatever it is called in Thailand if they own a condo outright?

They could borrow money from loan sharks, I guess. I don't think the concept of reverse mortgage exists in Thailand. Getting a line of credit is same as getting a loan from a Thai bank. I don't know somebody may try but how do you convince them that you have a regular incomes to pay off your loan. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 9:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

No it cannot be used.

hi there, i have under the 65kmonthly deposit but i have a bank balance that would make it up to that. can i use the bank balance to top up the monthly deposit under the new system

2 hours ago, eddie830 said:

hi there, i have under the 65kmonthly deposit but i have a bank balance that would make it up to that. can i use the bank balance to top up the monthly deposit under the new system

You can use your income that is being transferred from overseas combined with money in a Thai bank to reach a total of 800 baht. At most offices the money in the bank would need to be in the bank for 3 months when you apply.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can use your income that is being transferred from overseas combined with money in a Thai bank to reach a total of 800 baht. At most offices the money in the bank would need to be in the bank for 3 months when you apply.

thank you very much that is very reassuring