"Big Traffic" cop agrees with "scaring the public" with huge new fines - it won't mean more in police pockets

webfact

"Big Traffic" cop agrees with "scaring the public" with huge new fines - it won't mean more in police pockets

4pm.jpg

Picture: INN

INN interviewed the head of Bangkok's traffic police regarding his opinion about proposals to introduce greatly increased fines.

As he explained how police benefit from fines he assured the public it would not simply mean more money ending up in his officer's back pockets.

And he said the public needed to be "scared" into obeying the law.

Maj Gen Theerasak Suriwong - referred to as "Big Traffic" - was speaking to INN after it was announced that proposals were in the pipeline to change two outdated 1979 laws.

This would mean drivers could be fined 50,000 baht for not having a licence instead of the old slap on the wrist 1,000 baht fine and could even go to jail for up to three months. People caught driving while suspended would face similar sanctions.

Maj Gen Theerasak said in his opinion the law needed changing and society needed to start obeying the law. But he defended his own men.

"The public needed to be scared into obeying," he said adding that at the moment there were far too many offenders getting away with paltry fines. Bigger fines and bigger penalties were necessary.

OK, said INN, but would that not just mean that more money in bribes and corruption would go to the police?

This was a separate matter, he said.

Theerasak explained what happens with fines saying that the actions of his men are open and honest.

Some 50% of fines go to public coffers. The other half goes to the police.

It is divvied up as a reward but a cap is set at 10,000 baht per officer.

This would not change with the new fine structure so his men would not get more of the proceeds.

He warned the public not to attempt to bribe the police and to pay their fines. 

He also apologized for the state of Bangkok traffic promising that everything would be done to alleviate the problems.

Source: INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-22

Well Big Traffic you are wrong, you say police will not get more money in their pockets.

I think once the new rules are implemented drivers will be given a choice get a ticket pay 5000 baht or give me 1000 baht and on your way.

50% of the fines go to the state and 50% into the private pockets of the police. Incredible system that opens the doors wide to corruption and bribery. and when the alleged 10000 baht per officer is reached, they do stop working?

instead of raising the penalties, it would be much more necessary to reform the police.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Theerasak explained what happens with fines saying that the actions of his men are open and honest.

Some 50% of fines go to public coffers. The other half goes to the police.

It is divvied up as a reward but a cap is set at 10,000 baht per officer.

Theerasak is up front about what happens with the fine money. At least he's honest about it, that's a surprise for sure

11 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Theerasak is up front about what happens with the fine money. At least he's honest about it, that's a surprise for sure

An honest Thai cop? You are the supreme optimist. They are jacking the fines simply because police bribes are lagging behind the cost of living increases.

2 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

I think he should tell Prayut about the fact that only 50% of the fine money goes to the Govt coffers. Thats stealing from the countries revenue.  Isn't that illegal ? We would like to hear what he has to say about that !  

I want to make a prediction here.......Six months to a year after the new penalties are introduced they will announce a dramatic fall in the number of motorists getting a ticket for driving without a licence, and give themselves a big pat on the back for their brilliant initiative.....However, the truth will be because everyone will be paying backhanders, or "tea money" so as not to get a ticket and 50K Baht fine.

2 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I want to make a prediction here.......Six months to a year after the new penalties are introduced they will announce a dramatic fall in the number of motorists getting a ticket for driving without a licence, and give themselves a big pat on the back for their brilliant initiative.....However, the truth will be because everyone will be paying backhanders, or "tea money" so as not to get a ticket and 50K Baht fine.

Each police station has a quota of tickets to issue every month so they need to meet the quota.

Remember Thai laws always state a minimum and maximum fine. 50,000 is the proposed max for most driving offences. The minimum may be 1000. Who knows?

20 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Each police station has a quota of tickets to issue every month so they need to meet the quota.

Remember Thai laws always state a minimum and maximum fine. 50,000 is the proposed max for most driving offences. The minimum may be 1000. Who knows?

Raise the quota! If I only average 5.000 THB as a reward, I could easily make 100.000THB a day in Hat Yai.

5 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

The fine is already adequate. Problem is there is zero enforcement of the rules. The only time I see enforcement of the laws is the setting up road blocks, mostly in very dangerous places such as super highways, and most are just looking for some farangs to fleece. 

"The fine is already adequate." Not hardly, but I will agree that there is inadequate enforcement.

With both the increased fines and enforcement there could actually be safer roads in Thailand

It's all lies, lies, lies - the whole lot of it. Thailand is nothing but pretence and lies. Surely we know that by now?

Nothing will significantly change as regards the quality of driving and the qualifications of drivers on Thai roads.

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Wonder if anyone believes his opinion? I'm currently siting on an inactive fence post with his views?

Yeah. And what about all the kids driving motorbikes not even old enough??!! Driving home the other day a kid that could not be even 10 years old with 2 others wobbling down the road. I had to stop the car in shock and watch him in the rear view mirror until they fell off at a junction! 10's of 1000's of underage non licensed kids drive to school every day! 

They do not think these things through.

52 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

This bloke and what he represents makes me sick. No wonder the populous dont bother obeying the law. 

52 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

This bloke and what he represents makes me sick. No wonder the populous dont bother obeying the law. 

53 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Are you calling me populous? If they come away with fair and sensible laws then I will obey them.

I don't have a big problem with big fines, its all they will

ever understand here. I don't care much who gets the dosh as well.

Don't brake the rules and regulations and you will most likely not have a problem.

Oh no,   that's done it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy:

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well Big Traffic you are wrong, you say police will not get more money in their pockets.

I think once the new rules are implemented drivers will be given a choice get a ticket pay 5000 baht or give me 1000 baht and on your way.

How does this, "Some 50% of fines go to public coffers. The other half goes to the police." not mean more money in the police pockets? And of course the 1000 Baht pass will always be available. Is Big Traffic preparing for a run for office? Seems like he feels the public is as dumb as most of the politicians feel.

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

Just a question. Is the 10,000 baht police bonus limit, a daily, weekly, or monthly limit?

it just depends what kind of a day they have... i heard in pattaya they get a percentage of tickets up to 10000 so after this the principle revenue source would be cash to let you go:)

What a crazy system, 50% to the officers for doing a god job, but capped @ 10,000 baht per officer??

No wonder so many take a cash bribe & forget the ticket!!

Which is what will happen in the future... a ticket @50,000 baht or bribe me?

Archived