Starting up an investment EFT in Thailand.....?

Hi...

I’m interested in encouraging my partner (Thai national) to start investing....perhaps  in an Index fund.

A old friend recommended Vanguard.....but it seems impossible for a Thai to open a trading account online with them.

Does anyone with experience in this area know of a reputable big company that’s available for Thai nationals to open online investment accounts for index funds.

Many thanks for the help...

Why look overseas? There are ETFs and index funds available onshore, and they don't have the additional costs of converting THB to a foreign currency.  Documentation and support are both provided in Thai, too.

(Of course, a well run actively managed fund will always outperform a comparable tracker, so one could ask why the obsession with mediocre performance?)

On 8/24/2018 at 8:09 AM, Oxx said:

Why look overseas? There are ETFs and index funds available onshore, and they don't have the additional costs of converting THB to a foreign currency.  Documentation and support are both provided in Thai, too.

(Of course, a well run actively managed fund will always outperform a comparable tracker, so one could ask why the obsession with mediocre performance?)

Ok thanks ...good....I’m just exploring and looking for advice.

i know very little about the matter to be honest.

Who or what company would I approach in Chiang Mai about starting an onshore index fund..

49 minutes ago, mikey88 said:

Wouldn’t an onshore index fund have exposure to Thai listed stock though...?

Or am I wrong?

Preferably  I’d like my partner invested in a wide range of international stock.

The range of offshore index funds isn't great, but they are there.

Perhaps something like this would be of interest?

https://www.tmbam.com/home/en/mutual-fund-detail.php?f=144&accept=1

Incidentally, if your partner is working, there are great tax advantages in investing in LTFs and RMFs - another possible reason not to go offshore.

Opening an investment account overseas is easy for a Thai.  There are dozens of options.

*Funding* an overseas investment account can be impossible unless the Thai national already has an overseas bank account. The BOT does not allow outward SWIFT remittances for this purpose. Thais are supposed to use approved Thai funds for this purpose, all  overseen and approved by the SEC and central bank.

Honestly, unless you know a sympathetic banker who will help your partner avoid the restrictions on outgoing SWIFT transfers, just use a domestic investment company and select from whatever they are willing to offer.  You may find yourself ultimately disappointed if you try to do what you are doing. There is a reason it is not common for a Thai to do this. It is actually against BOT regulations.

On 8/25/2018 at 3:25 PM, Monomial said:

Opening an investment account overseas is easy for a Thai.  There are dozens of options.

*Funding* an overseas investment account can be impossible unless the Thai national already has an overseas bank account. The BOT does not allow outward SWIFT remittances for this purpose. Thais are supposed to use approved Thai funds for this purpose, all  overseen and approved by the SEC and central bank.

Honestly, unless you know a sympathetic banker who will help your partner avoid the restrictions on outgoing SWIFT transfers, just use a domestic investment company and select from whatever they are willing to offer.  You may find yourself ultimately disappointed if you try to do what you are doing. There is a reason it is not common for a Thai to do this. It is actually against BOT regulations.

Ok...thanks for the advice.

Its always good to hear from people who have experience in the area.

My superannuation fund in Australia has investments that cover cash of course, bonds, Australian shares And international shares..

I just wondered if there was a managed fund in Thailand that had the same scope.....and what name would I look for.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:06 PM, Oxx said:

The range of offshore index funds isn't great, but they are there.

Perhaps something like this would be of interest?

https://www.tmbam.com/home/en/mutual-fund-detail.php?f=144&accept=1

Incidentally, if your partner is working, there are great tax advantages in investing in LTFs and RMFs - another possible reason not to go offshore.

thank you very much....very helpful.

Archived