Border Run To Cambodia

twix38

I need to do a Thai border run in March and have decided on Cambodia.

Choosing between Siam Reap and Phnom Penh, I think I have chosen Phnom Penh as although missing Angor Wat (which I think I can miss without too much regret, although never having been I don't know what I am missing perhaps). However, there is no Malaria in Phnom Penh and seem to be a few decent tourist sites for a 5 to 7 day visit.

Any advice in general from seasoned travellers and visitors to Phnom Penh?

Also

Are there Visa ATM machines available?

Best airline for flight from Bangkok?

How much USD should I get in Thailand before leaving?

I get a visa on arrival at their airport, right?

Tips on what to do for a week's stay/what not to do?

Where to stay - accomodation (safe, comfortable, quiet, good location and reasonably priced, say up to maximum USD 45/night, preferably less)?

Any other comments?

Many thanks

Ankor Wat is well worth a visit. IMO 1 day is enough.

You could fly to Siam Reap, then take a boat up to Phnom Penh as the roads are very rough, and then fly back from PP. Clean acom can be found in the 5-10 USD range if you look around a bit.

I need to do a Thai border run in March and have decided on Cambodia.

Choosing between Siam Reap and Phnom Penh, I think I have chosen Phnom Penh as although missing Angor Wat (which I think I can miss without too much regret, although never having been I don't know what I am missing perhaps). However, there is no Malaria in Phnom Penh and seem to be a few decent tourist sites for a 5 to 7 day visit.

Any advice in general from seasoned travellers and visitors to Phnom Penh?

Also

Are there Visa ATM machines available?

Best airline for flight from Bangkok?

How much USD should I get in Thailand before leaving?

I get a visa on arrival at their airport, right?

Tips on what to do for a week's stay/what not to do?

Where to stay - accomodation (safe, comfortable, quiet, good location and reasonably priced, say up to maximum USD 45/night, preferably less)?

Any other comments?

Many thanks

First of all: I would recommend a visit to Angkor Wat to everybody who has the oportunity.

ATM's are available in PP. Bring around $ 100 in cash, and in small currency if possible. You get visa on arrival. Remember to bring one passport photo. Taxi from airport downtown is $7 and available from the taxi-counter directly after you come outside. I can recomend Hotel Hope & Anchor. Standardrooms around $25 - 30 and it is located right in the middle of the action on the riverside. Belive they have their own website.

Pick up the free copy of the Phnom Penh Guide at any restaurant/bar and you will get all the information on what to see and do while in PP.

You could fly to Siam Reap, then take a boat up to Phnom Penh as the roads are very rough, and then fly back from PP. Clean acom can be found in the 5-10 USD range if you look around a bit.

Took a taxi from Siam Reap to PP just last November. It's now a very smooth road and faster than taking the boat (I took the boat from PP to SR).

How much was the Taxi from SR to PP, please? and how long does the journey take?

Am keen to know for sure if there are indeed ATM's in PP?

Took a taxi from Siam Reap to PP just last November. It's now a very smooth road and faster than taking the boat (I took the boat from PP to SR).

Awol

How long have there been ATM's in PP? Would love to know where they are as on my last trip I was told there were none as the country is not linked to the World wide ATM clearing system.

Cheers

FB

There is one at the ANZ bank on the Riverside and one at Canadia Bank next to the

Independence monument. These are the two that I have used, but I know that there are at least three more in the city. Even Snookyville and Siem Reap has ATM's now.....

Are there Visa ATM machines available? Plenty, and they give out US dollar notes. Also you can change large Baht notes for US dollars at the small exchange booths. Note that the local currency is hardly ever used.

Best airline for flight from Bangkok? Bangkok Airways.

How much USD should I get in Thailand before leaving? Up to you !

I get a visa on arrival at their airport, right? Correct, 20 dollars in US currency.

Regarding hotels, they are a bit of a ripoff compared to Thailand, so don't expect too

much for US 45 a night.

Try the "Special" Pizza's or omelette's at the little places on the riverfront. :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Are there Visa ATM machines available? Plenty, and they give out US dollar notes. Also you can change large Baht notes for US dollars at the small exchange booths. Note that the local currency is hardly ever used.

Best airline for flight from Bangkok? Bangkok Airways.

How much USD should I get in Thailand before leaving? Up to you !

I get a visa on arrival at their airport, right? Correct, 20 dollars in US currency.

Regarding hotels, they are a bit of a ripoff compared to Thailand, so don't expect too

much for US 45 a night.

Try the "Special" Pizza's or omelette's at the little places on the riverfront. :o

Naka.

Happy Pizza? I know of a lady who was too out of it to catch her plane after eating at one of those places. Try Hotel Scandic, very near Independence Monument. Street 282 I think. Close to the park where the girls hang out. When I was there years ago The Cathouse was the best pub. Never went to Martinis but supposed to be great fun if you're into girls. If you are posh then Friday evenings at the pub in Royal Hotel is/was usually very good. Phnom Penh was great except at rush hours when streets are full of Lexus SUVs.

How much was the Taxi from SR to PP, please? and how long does the journey take?

I was trying to remember the prices exactly. I got a fast taxi (I had to ask him to slow down) for $40 SR to PP....from memory it was around 4 hours including a stop for lunch lakeside (beautiful and nice food).

The boat ride was $17, but took 6 hours. I was paying for 2 so the taxi was the good alternative. You'll get cheaper trips from SR to PP than in the opposite direction because a lot of taxis are trying to get back to PP for another trip, so if you play it correctly you'll get good discounts. I wouldn't book one, but look around for one on the day you are planning to return....and make them an offer.

The River Star Hotel has quite a few old Benzes they use to take people back and forth between their PP and SR hotels. When you're in SR, pass by there in the morning and you'll probably see a few cars they want to get back to PP.

I think they were asking $50-$60 (depending on the car) for the PP to SR trip.

Edited by tropo

I don't think that one day at Ankor Wat is enough for most people.

We tried rushing around for one of our buddies who only had one day and I ended up thinking that it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, but the next day, after he was gone, we went back and took our time and enjoyed it MUCH more.

I would say 2-3 days for most people and up to 7 for real culture vultures. :o

We tried rushing around for one of our buddies who only had one day and I ended up thinking that it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, but the next day, after he was gone, we went back and took our time and enjoyed it MUCH more.

I was there with a couple of mates General, and culture vultures they weren't. We stayed three days and did three half day tours. It gave us a good look around with out them getting too hot or too bored. Siem Reap isn't quite the <deleted> hole it's reputed to be and we spent a few hours at the old market and enjoyed a beer or ten in the Ankor What! area. Loved the boat trip down the Tonle Sap lake and river to PP

I agree. The absolute minimum time anyone should spend there is 2 nights. It's a long hike to get there, so it's a total waste to cut the time short.

I could just handle a half day at the temples...just too hot to walk around all day. I would recommend at least 2 easy days to see the main temples and some free time in the afternoon to relax. In the evenings they block off a street to make a walking street which is quite pleasant with some nice restaurants, cafes and bars.

Try to make a visit to the Cultural Centre. The cultural dancing shows are very good, especially the Chinese contorsionists. This will take you from afternoon into early evening.

Sorry about the poor quality of some of these photos, but this little girl was spectacular.

post-34982-1171000571_thumb.jpgpost-34982-1171000587_thumb.jpg

post-34982-1171000598_thumb.jpg

post-34982-1171000618_thumb.jpg

post-34982-1171000630_thumb.jpg

Here's a slightly blurred photo of walking street in SR.

post-34982-1171001030_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to take in a dinner buffet and show.

post-34982-1171001058_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, SR is a very tidy town with many large and expensive hotels.

post-34982-1171001554_thumb.jpg

post-34982-1171001563_thumb.jpg

Edited by tropo

Two days is a minimum if you visit Angkor Wat. I would recommend everybody who's planning a visit to read a little bit about Angkor and the era of the khmer-empire before you go. This will make the visit even more interesting. Be sure to catch the sunrise over Angkor Thom (the temple that you see on the cambodian flag). Siem Reap itself, has a couple of other things to offer. Amongst the more interesting things to do, is taking a boat trip out to the floating village.

The nightlife is not much, but you have some decent restaurants and bars. I recomend that you go to one of the big khmer-restaurants who offer buffet-dinner and a cultural show. At $10 it's extremely good value for money.

Do not take the boat from PP to SR at the end of the dry season/beginning of rainy season unless you are 100% sure that the waterlevel in the Tonle Sap river is sufficient. Most travel agencies will try to sell you ticket for the boat rather than the bus even if they know that the waterlevel is to low. I guess the boat companies pays better comission than the bus companies. Ask someone from the expat comunity or other travellers before you choose your transportation.