The Best Live Music Concert you ever attended.

giddyup

I have been to a lot of concerts, moreso when I was younger. Big bands like The Eagles, Moody Blues, Crosby, Stills and Nash etc, as well as solo artists, but the best concert I ever attended was by a UK artist called Joe Jackson. It was at Thebarton Theatre in Adelaide, a small venue for international artists, but that concert blew my socks off. So what was the most memorable for you?

joe jackson.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashgrove in LA various country blues acts including Big Joe Williams, Big Mama Thornton and Lightnin' Hopkins, Troubador in LA with Joni Mitchell and other folk acts, Golden Bear in Huntington Beach with Jimmy Reed (a classic) John Mayall and various other venues around LA late 60s early 70s...lucky to be livin' there at that time...saw the Stones twice once with Mick Taylor...

never did see Jimi or the Doors live although they were around...spent all my dosh on dope and cheap red wine...stood outside a club in North Beach with a short bottle of Red Mountain in the rain in SF early 80s listenin' to Mike Bloomfield, fantastic...the finest Chicago blues guitarist that ever lived and I was lucky then too as he died a few weeks later...

and Janis autographed my jacket back stage at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena in 1969 when she was still with Big Brother...a great concert also with Joan Baez, Country Joe and Junior Wells and Buddy Guy...

it's funny as my wife who I dearly loved was a thai country girl and never heard of any of them...

6 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

Ashgrove in LA various country blues acts including Big Joe Williams, Big Mama Thornton and Lightnin' Hopkins, Troubador in LA with Joni Mitchell and other folk acts, Golden Bear in Huntington Beach with Jimmy Reed (a classic) John Mayall and various other venues around LA late 60s early 70s...lucky to be livin' there at that time...saw the Stones twice once with Mick Taylor...

never did see Jimi or the Doors live although they were around...spent all my dosh on dope and cheap red wine...stood outside a club in North Beach with a short bottle of Red Mountain in the rain in SF early 80s listenin' to Mike Bloomfield, fantastic...the finest Chicago blues guitarist that ever lived and I was lucky then too as he died a few weeks later...

and Janis autographed my jacket back stage at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena in 1969 when she was still with Big Brother...a great concert also with Joan Baez, Country Joe and Junior Wells and Buddy Guy...

it's funny as my wife who I dearly loved was a thai country girl and never heard of any of them...

Good story, but I did ask for the "best" concert you attended.

Toss up between Dire Straits & Elton John.....

DS had the best pure technical sound - long indoor concert.....

EJ because I begrudgingly went (bday gift for girlfriend) but really enjoyed the show.....The fact that it was outdoors on the lawn & a lot of grass was being smoked & wafting around probably helped mellow me out to enjoy it.....

Saw Elvis at the top of his game = probably the most charismatic performer I've seen.....

Joe Jackson ! , great stuff !!
“ is she really going out with him “ is a great song from my youth ( I was 17 when it came out ). A buddy of mine sings in a band ( pub band ) and always sings that song , always goes down well !!

Sooo, have been to many great concerts, Clapton, McCartney, Elton John, Deep Purple, Kiss etc but the best has to be ( believe it or not !) James Blunt !, who was opening for Elton John at the Sambódromo in Rio 10 or 12 years ago.
Elton was great, as always, but I think the crowd were “warmed up “ ( bit of an understatement) by James Blunt as he belted out his many hits and some great covers with such enthusiasm and good humour it stands out as a truly great night !!

Frank Zappa Live at the Fillmore East

Bill Joel at Maxs Kansas City

Traffic with Dave Mason at the Academy of Music

Cream

EmmyLou Harris

Howling Wolf with the Rolling Stones

Nina Hagen in Stuttgart

Woodstock

Led Zepplin

Bob Marley

Talking Heads

Patti Smith

Ramones

Fear

who can remember them all

13 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

..stood outside a club in North Beach with a short bottle of Red Mountain in the rain in SF early 80s listenin' to Mike Bloomfield, fantastic...the finest Chicago blues guitarist that ever lived and I was lucky then too as he died a few weeks later...

Mike Bloomfield!! You, my man, are a connoisseur of the good stuff.

Rory Gallagher in Bristol, think it was 1973. His style of rock was simply irresistible. Great tunes and driving rhythm with Gerry McAvoy on bass, playing like a man possessed. I've never seen 2 people play with such intensity and passion. Left the concert high as a kite and have yet to return to ground. Thank you Rory.

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Frank Zappa Live at the Fillmore East

who can remember them all

Zappa and the mothers were truly great...again at a number of venues around LA...the mothers were an orchestra that he put together to play his serious music, he'd start with the nonsense stuff then before you knew it you were faced with an undulating membrane of sound with Zappa conducting, literally using his strapped on guitar as a baton...truly some of the most remarkable live music I've heard...and it never comes thru in his recordings which don't do much for me...

Bath Festival  1970

Canned Heat, Steppenwolf,Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin,Moody Blues plus many other great bands.

Got in for free too,arrived at the entrance in my VW van

with my cousins,said we were roadies,waved through.

Woburn music festival  july 1968

Jimi Hendrix   The Family only 2 i can remember 

can remember vividly coming over the fields and 

The Family were playing a song from "Music in a Doll's House"

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Bath Festival  1970

Canned Heat, Steppenwolf,Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin,Moody Blues plus many other great bands.

Got in for free too,arrived at the entrance in my VW van

with my cousins,said we were roadies,waved through.

a VW van establishes yer 'cred'...I owned a '66 model 1975 - 1985 and got emotional when I sold it, it was like an old friend...rebuilt the engine myself twice and when the floor in the back rusted out screwed in some 3/4" plywood and moved on down the road at about 50mph...probably set a record for the accumulated number of miles between LA and Eugene Oregon...only had an AM radio but there was always plenty of dope and red wine, guitars, harmonicas and kazoos...and the splendid US west coast scenery...

Jefferson Starship before they were officially a band. It was very alternative long before that became popular, They would not become an official band for another 4 years. They were touring to support Paul Kantner's science fiction opus Blows Against the Empire. and had a bunch of bay area musicians like Jerry Garcia, David Cosby, Graham Nash  participating - Papa John Creach, Grace Slick and other Jefferson Airplane alumni too.

Kansas was the backup band and they were excellent.

Image result for jefferson starship blows against the empire

5 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

a VW van establishes yer 'cred'...I owned a '66 model 1975 - 1985 and got emotional when I sold it, it was like an old friend...rebuilt the engine myself twice and when the floor in the back rusted out screwed in some 3/4" plywood and moved on down the road at about 50mph...probably set a record for the accumulated number of miles between LA and Eugene Oregon...only had an AM radio but there was always plenty of dope and red wine, guitars, harmonicas and kazoos...and the splendid US west coast scenery...

Wish I still had it today,

regards Worgeordie

6 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

So you were the guy that always got in front of me slowing uphill traffic to a virtual crawl - about every drive I took....

On 8/25/2018 at 1:56 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

Magic days!

Midnight Show - Dave Van Ronk.... he came on an hour late, could barely hold his head straight - totally drunk - he said i'll make you a deal - "I am only going to play 5 songs" - - then growled - - "but I will make the gooood." and he did but he would moan and groan for 5-10 minutes between each song... he was great. 

Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Hollywood Bowl, 1971.

Yes. performing "Tales From Topographic Oceans", Long Beach Arena,1973

Gentle Giant. Shrine Auditorium, 1973

Genesis performing "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" Shrine Auditorium, 1973

John McLaughlin. Troubadour, 1975

Oingo Boingo. Whisky a GoGo, West Hollywood, ca, 1980

Talking Heads, Greek Theater, 1984.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:47 PM, Ulysses G. said:

Jefferson Starship before they were officially a band. It was very alternative long before that became popular, They would not become an official band for another 4 years. They were touring to support Paul Kantner's science fiction opus Blows Against the Empire. and had a bunch of bay area musicians like Jerry Garcia, David Cosby, Graham Nash  participating - Papa John Creach, Grace Slick and other Jefferson Airplane alumni too.

Kansas was the backup band and they were excellent.

Image result for jefferson starship blows against the empire

I thought they were Jefferson Airplane before they became Jefferson Star ship 

Archived