Anti-graft agency rejects Suthep accusation of ‘bias’

snoop1130

By The Nation

6a9acf2930dc99c09a6d53591b4fd229.jpeg

Suthep Thaugsuban

The anti-graft agency on Thursday rejected an allegation of unfair treatment by former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban, regarding a corruption case against him.

The president of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit, said the agency was dealing with the case against Suthep in accordance with the facts available.

Suthep is accused of malfeasance in connection with a Bt5.8-billion project to build police stations and flats for Royal Thai Police personnel. The project was under Suthep’s responsibility while he was serving as a deputy prime minister in the Abhisit Vejjajiva government. 

Last week, Suthep accused an NACC subcommittee of being biased against him for pursing the case, saying that it refused to consider the “complete filings of evidence” he had presented to them. The veteran politician made his accusation during a live broadcast through his Facebook account.

“If the NACC subcommittee had no bias, they would have ended this matter after seeing all the evidence,” he said.

Suthep told his audience he would disclose the relevant information about the project in future Facebook broadcasts.

While meeting in-person with NACC members on Tuesday, Suthep insisted on his innocence, saying there had been no corruption on his part regarding the project. The veteran politician said that if he was found guilty by the court, his life could be taken. He demanded a public apology from the NACC if he was found innocent.

Watcharapol said on Thursday that the NACC did not regard Suthep’s accusation as an attempt to discredit the agency. Also, it would not attempt to prevent Suthep from making further Facebook broadcasts. “He has the right to do so,” Watcharapol said.

The NACC chief said the case against Suthep was “in its final stage” and was expected to be completed before the year’s end.

NACC secretary-general Worawit Sukboon said on Thursday that Suthep is not the only politician facing cases by the anti-graft agency.

“So I don’t want Suthep to think that the NACC is biased,” he said.

Worawit also said he did not think Suthep was trying to discredit the NACC. He said Suthep could testify before the NACC until the end of this month, before the investigation into his case would be concluded and the anti-graft commissioners then decided whether to indict Suthep.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352819

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-23

Who here thinks Sutheps days in politics is over. 

He has done his job but now must be taken out of politics.Do not need him any more so could be more of a problem than assistance. I think they are preparing to throw him under the bus so to speak.

He is a treasonous criminal that stole millions from the police station scandal and should be in prison for decades for his misdeeds on multiple occasions. He has skimmed his luck as he has snuggled up to the military for so long, and has been given a pass...which is why this PoS is still walking free. Although, he might have run his course of usefulness, and is slowly becoming a liability to the junta, due to the fact that he is a polarizing hate figure and the junta might think needs to be sidelined or consigned to history. He is nothing but trouble and would be lucky IMO to get away with being 86ed with no blow back. However, he may know too many secrets/skeletons....hmmm, which is likely.

13 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

He has done his job but now must be taken out of politics.Do not need him any more so could be more of a problem than assistance. I think they are preparing to throw him under the bus so to speak.

A big heavy tank would be better and nicely ironic.

12 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

but now must be taken out of politics

by whom?

12 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I think they are preparing to throw him under the bus so to speak.

Who are "they"?

He has huge business interests across a multitude of industries spread over the South and Bangkok. He has "clients" as in patron-clients in the police and government agencies and local government over several provinces in the South.

Under the Thai political structure he can really only be "removed" by some very senior figures (or if his unhealthy lifestyle catches up with him and the grim reaper calls).

When deciding whether to indict or turn a blind eye, I hope the NACC remember that they themselves are in danger of going to prison if they don't do their job. 

As many sitting in prison today that once had extremely high so friends can attest. 

Watch your back, high faluting powers that be . 

Everyone is expendable in Thailand. 

13 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I don't know if his days are over.. one can only hope he and some others on the other side are the worst. So getting rid of him would be a good thing. But i also think he is guilty.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Of course the NACC would reject that claim. Ignoring Suthep himself he does seem to have a point.

The NACC is owned and operated by the junta for their own benefit. They appear to be very selective as to who they pursue and even more particular about who they DON"T pursue. 

They are there to hunt down and bring to "justice" selected adversaries of the junta while at the same time protect and cover-up for junta politicians and their elite friends. 

So typical of this dishonourable government.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“If the NACC subcommittee had no bias, they would have ended this matter after seeing all the evidence,” he said.

If they had no bias, they would have ended this matter against him after seeing all the evidence. They didn't conclude the matter with the old fatty and his watches either. Again, should in some alternate reality this cockalorum be anti-junta and facing a similar situation, this would have ended against him in no time.. but now, I'm fairly certain that this will end like most things with NACC involving someone pro junta; It will just drag on endlessly until it vanishes into oblivion and nothing really comes out of it. "In it's final stage" and concluding before year's end.. I'll be really surprised if it does even go to court, even more so if the judgement is against him.

That is unless they are simply lynching him for some higher cause; whether it's to counter the face loss caused by the watch fiasco (and burying the matter even deeper while at it) or something else related to the holy duality of money and power.

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

When deciding whether to indict or turn a blind eye, I hope the NACC remember that they themselves are in danger of going to prison if they don't do their job. 

As many sitting in prison today that once had extremely high so friends can attest. 

Watch your back, high faluting powers that be . 

Everyone is expendable in Thailand. 

Even the red bull guy? 

Even the panther eating guy? 

Even Prawit the "watchman? 

Etc., etc., 

Archived