Warning about eating raw food - four meter long tapeworm emerges from the dark

webfact

Chop it up, put ten teaspoons of MSG and sugar on top, throw in twenty chilis, fry in last year's palm oil and sell to 'muricans on Khao Sarn. Five star rave reviews in tripadvisor expected with yelps of "Oh so exotic!" and "Never had anything so delicious and soooooo healthy".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, natway09 said:

All jokes aside anyone who eats salad anywhere in the world can get worms of many types.

The good news is any pharmacy can sell you a one dose all purpose deworming tablet for 20Bht.

I am always surprised that educated people do not know this.

I line the family up every 6 months & dose everyone including the maid.

All bed sheets are changed at the same time

You get it from uncooked meat- not salad.

Humans are subject to infection by several species of tapeworms if they eat undercooked meat such as pork (Taenia solium), beef (T. saginata), and fish (Diphyllobothrium), or if they live in, or eat food prepared in, conditions of poor hygiene (Hymenolepis or Echinococcus species). The unproven concept of using tapeworms as a slimming aid has been touted since around 1900.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

We liked to eat fishfillets from the kaoshinmaru (in Tops)...one day my left some fish on her plate and i saw it moving...a worm from 5cm came out of the fillet and was still alive after i fried the fish untill well done...

I guess this kaoshinmaru is a japanese fishingvessel which delivers to Thailand but lately i didn't see this fish anymore for sale.

Used to go camping with my dad and grandpa up in northern Ontario, Canada.  Would take fishing rods to catch our breakfast, and rifles to shoot our dinner.    Used to catch cat fish that were wormy with little black worms in their flesh.. you could see them moving.  We just made sure we fried them extra good in the hot bubbling grease and butter in the frying pan...and ate them.  The fish was damn good. Little bit of lemon juice squeezed on them..  Never got sick.. never got worms..  Some people I guess would say it's extra protein...  555555 ? 

10 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Would be nice if the actual food he ate was mentioned. 

Beware Plaa Dip (ปลาดิบ). Peace Corps friend went native in Isaan to "know the people". Shipped back to US with a "Swiss cheese liver", doctors said. After a year she came back, cooked everything very thoroughly, but Isaan friends said the liver flukes are just bad luck. Who needs science in Isaan? 

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

And F B should warn them about putting photos up of disgustingness that's just exited his bullethole .. That's the sort of stuff more likely to be found on scat sites .. I should imagine .. 

FB is full of s..t, so I doubt there was a site that was better suited than FB

36 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Beware Plaa Dip (ปลาดิบ). Peace Corps friend went native in Isaan to "know the people". Shipped back to US with a "Swiss cheese liver", doctors said. After a year she came back, cooked everything very thoroughly, but Isaan friends said the liver flukes are just bad luck. Who needs science in Isaan? 

raw fish and som tum with fermented fish

6 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

So Thailand just discovered the tapeworm? They are only a few centuries behind on the rest of the world.

Whats next? Thai man discovers fire and claims you can use it to cook food?

Where did it say that Thailand has just discovered the tapeworm exists?

What's next, a Thaivisa poster reads an OP properly and discovers that because he read it correctly the only daft comments he can make about it are the ones he made up himself?

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

Used to go camping with my dad and grandpa up in northern Ontario, Canada.  Would take fishing rods to catch our breakfast, and rifles to shoot our dinner.    Used to catch cat fish that were wormy with little black worms in their flesh.. you could see them moving.  We just made sure we fried them extra good in the hot bubbling grease and butter in the frying pan...and ate them.  The fish was damn good. Little bit of lemon juice squeezed on them..  Never got sick.. never got worms..  Some people I guess would say it's extra protein...  555555 ? 

That was the key for all harvested foods. While you could do a Caribou medium rare, you had to cook the hell out of bear to kill the Trichies...

5 hours ago, Catoni said:

Apparently common from eating raw, or undercooked pork.   Make sure your pork is well cooked.    Perhaps from other meats also... 

Not "perhaps from other meats also". They definitely come from other meats and fish too. Each type of tapeworm is different. The pork tapeworm is the most dangerous and can infiltrate the brain and other areas of the body beside the intestinal tract. I got a beef tapeworm, which is a bit tamer than the pork tapeworm. I found this report particularly interesting because after taking medication I never saw evidence of the tapeworm segments come out. I remember wondering at the time if I had actually killed it.

53 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I didn't say that it does, try reading what I said and what the poster to whom I was responding quoted.  Here's a clue, "unhygienic conditions".

Tapeworms are not a result of "unhygienic conditions". They are a result of eating undercooked pork and beef (or fish) that that has been infected with the tapeworm cyst. (eggs > larvae > cysts) You can be as clean as you like, if you eat the cysts, you'll grow a tapeworm. Fortunately, cooking it thoroughly will kill the cysts, or freezing it for a day (I've heard 12 hours will do it, but better to freeze it longer to be safe). If you must eat rare Thai beef, stick it in the freezer for a couple of days and you can eat it raw without any risk.

8 hours ago, Catoni said:

I didn't know catfish were nice, we have huge ones in the lake...

I wonder how safe the sushi sold unchilled on the markets is, i only eat it from the japanese restaurants to be safe.

Archived