Downloading music from YouTube

TSF

What do you guys use to d/l from YouTube? I'm looking for something to use on a laptop running Win 7 64bit. I want freeware, nothing that has limitations or runs out in time. I just need to d/l songs as MP3 @320. A portable version would be a bonus....Thanks in advance.

Of course you will find tons of different solutions.

Usually I download complete videos with this:

http://youtubedownloader.software/about-us.php

(Midrey Youtube Downloader)

It works without limitations (at least never noticed), no adds, no registration etc.

It's a standalone program and you have to copy/paste the YT link.

Doable :smile:

It also offers to download audio only:

audiodownload.jpg

Originally I wanted to delete my previous post.

With the program you need another step to convert to MP3 which you seem to stick too.

I bet there are audio formats that offer much better sound quality now.

But that's for the experts in this field which I am not.

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Google is your friend... results here.

Yes, I have Google'd and tried many, still haven't found a good one, so that's why I'm asking here, hope to get steered towards a couple that are truly excellent. One's I've d/l & tried from Google searches either don't work, or are 30-day trials, or have some limitations.

2 hours ago, poohy said:

i think this one is currently the best but you have to disable your add block

https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/mp3-converter

Never seen this one and at first thought this could be what I'm looking for. I tried it twice and it d/l the songs very quickly as MP3 but only at 192kbps, I can't see any setting for 320kbps. I suppose I could d/l in flac setting then convert to MP3 320, but if I found one that d/l at 320 then that cuts out an extra step....Thanks for the link anyway.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Originally I wanted to delete my previous post.

With the program you need another step to convert to MP3 which you seem to stick too.

I bet there are audio formats that offer much better sound quality now.

But that's for the experts in this field which I am not.

D/l it, installed it, tried it out, works well, had to d/l first in MP4 then 2nd step to convert to MP3, can only see 1 setting for MP3 conversion, the resulting file was at 124kbps. Thanks anyway, it will be useful for other stuff.

1 hour ago, sotsira said:

Be aware that you could download a music file that contains a virus when using these methods.

Which do you refer to?

Not the slightest indication that something is wrong with the files created or the program that I mentioned is suspicious.

If you have proof/source please post.

5 hours ago, TSF said:

What do you guys use to d/l from YouTube? I'm looking for something to use on a laptop running Win 7 64bit. I want freeware, nothing that has limitations or runs out in time. I just need to d/l songs as MP3 @320. A portable version would be a bonus....Thanks in advance.

You just need https://www.4kdownload.com/howto/howto-convert-youtube-to-mp3?source=youtubetomp3

I bought Wonder Share Video Converter a couple of years ago. I just checked it cost now 49USD for an unlimited license for one PC.

Normally I try to use free software but free means often advertisements, pop-ups to promote a better version and limitations.

I thought 50USD is a reasonable price for good software and no hassle. I never regretted that payment.

The software just works and is very easy to use. It has all the function I really need, and not 100 extra functions which would make it only complicate.

I highly recommend it.

https://videoconverter.wondershare.net/buy/video-converter-ultimate.html

47 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Thanks I just d/l it and installed and tested, I got an mp3 file at 320kbps, so this seems to be what I've been looking for. I'll test it later over the next couple days. So far looking good. 

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Windows 10

Tried it several times, but after a few days I format and reinstall Win 7, but I'll be getting a new laptop later this year so guess I'll just have to get into Win 10.

11 hours ago, TSF said:

Thanks for the link, gave it a try but the d/l failed twice, so I deleted it.

VLC, which is free, will convert almost anything to anything, will extract audio from mp4s (You Tube). FREE. And I have Internet Download Manager to get the videos in the first place. FREE

Just now, TSF said:

so guess I'll just have to get into Win 10.

I don't think you will have much option nowadays. But I have W10 on three PCs, all upgraded to latest version, and absolutely NO PROBLEMS at all. Just let Microsoft do what it wants, and don't f..k around with any settings !!!!!

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

VLC, which is free, will convert almost anything to anything, will extract audio from mp4s (You Tube). FREE.

Conversion to mp3 is not a problem, I have several different apps that convert, it's a good YT downloader I'm searching for, but a couple I've got onto through this thread look good so far.

6 minutes ago, TSF said:

Conversion to mp3 is not a problem, I have several different apps that convert, it's a good YT downloader I'm searching for, but a couple I've got onto through this thread look good so far.

Internet Download Manager works well for me.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Internet Download Manager works well for me.

Just had a look at it, it's not freeware, said I can try for 30 days free.

So  far the best one is what Digitalbanana recommended -  4K YouTube to MP3...does the trick and is freeware. 

I never pay for software and never use pirate or cracked software, plenty of excellent freeware available. 

2 minutes ago, TSF said:

I never pay for software and never use pirate or cracked software, plenty of excellent freeware available.

Why?

Personally I am willing to pay for good software a reasonable price.

It is a lot of work to develop good software and additional work to update it and give customer support. I think we should support developers who do a good job.

22 hours ago, TSF said:

Thanks I just d/l it and installed and tested, I got an mp3 file at 320kbps, so this seems to be what I've been looking for. I'll test it later over the next couple days. So far looking good. 

doesn't matter if you want 320kbps or not, pretty sure that Youtube audio is using either 126kbps AAC in an mp4 container, or between 50kbps and 156kbps in a WebM container.

converting it from "whatever" to 320kbps does absolutely nothing, you are actually losing quality, you can't create more than they give you.

26 minutes ago, kekalot said:

doesn't matter if you want 320kbps or not, pretty sure that Youtube audio is using either 126kbps AAC in an mp4 container, or between 50kbps and 156kbps in a WebM container.

converting it from "whatever" to 320kbps does absolutely nothing, you are actually losing quality, you can't create more than they give you.

You are right. But it's always amazing how many people insist on 320kbps.

I remember this guy with his huge collection - he insisted it was all 320kbps.

And he also insisted that was the necessary quality - for playing background music in a pool hall ?

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

Yes, I have thought about that, even though I have limited knowledge of these matters. So what do you suggest when d/l music from UT, what's the optimum way to d/l the music as an mp3 file?

Archived