Pattaya vet: Stray dogs good for neighborhoods

Rimmer

Pattaya vet: Stray dogs good for neighborhoods

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s animal-control department says stray dogs actually are beneficial to local communities and that if people are upset over the number of soi dogs, they should look in the mirror.

City veterinarian Surapong Wongsuttawad said Aug. 19 that dog-catching teams, armed with tranquilizer guns, go out regularly to round up, sterilize and inoculate stray dogs. But, due to high demand, they don’t always respond to resident complaints immediately.

Dogs are taken to the city’s facility on Soi 4 in Plu­taluang, which currently houses about 1,300 animals.

But Surapong said that no matter how many dogs are caught, the number of strays does not decrease. New dogs quickly take the place of captured ones and pet owners are to blame.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-vet-stray-dogs-good-neighborhoods-219889

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-08-24
  • Like 2

I have been around Thailand for 40 years now, this issue has been in the news so many times I have lost count, nothing has been done to date that has many any difference, its a far to contentious issue for the Thai's to take action or make a decision - so in their minds - best do nothing. ?

Which they will do very well ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

Try walking your family dog past these packs of vermin and watch what happens.

I do that every day without a problem. Must admit, not Pattaya but I believe we have a lot more dangerous dog breeds roaming around up here.

And yes, I hear you, once the dogs are packed up, alpha in charge, breed isn't that important.

Edited by chrisinth

15 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

Try walking your family dog past these packs of vermin and watch what happens.

I daren't walk-out of the village.  In a 250 metre stretch of road, I counted 23 dogs yesterday.  I have to go along this road to get to the local 7/11, a journey I could do on foot.

17 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Pattaya’s animal-control department says stray dogs actually are beneficial to local communities and that if people are upset over the number of soi dogs, they should look in the mirror.

I'd put money on there being no soi dogs where these people live.  Yes, a mirror is very beneficial, being that last time I was bitten by a soi dog, it got me from behind.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rimmer said:

But Surapong said that no matter how many dogs are caught, the number of strays does not decrease. New dogs quickly take the place of captured ones and pet owners are to blame.

ofcores 

Thai people continue to dump their dogs on sois because they don't want them anymore 

where I live I seen 4 Thai people come dumping dog's in just 2  months now we have about 50 dogs in my area bagging all day and night running after people 

so I can't see what benefits we get from that???? 

Thai people need start take responsibility for their own actions 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kekalot said:

I saw this dog going around 5 years ago..  broken leg just dangling, lost 80% of his hair. I was sitting around near some 7eleven and it came to me.

I could not see its eyes (see second pictures) and was sure it was blind but it reacted to me moving my phone.

nothing has been done for this dog, proof is that I saw it one year later.. it had no hair left and looked even worse. haven't seen it since but I don't visit that area often anymore.

where I live now we have a 7eleven that is literally 20 meters away, there's this dog that is some fat shit and looks practically the same as this pictured one but fat and full of scars and has one eye in working order..

that dog totally hates me because I walked my very tame dog outside every day like a year ago..

same shitty dog came out from under a pickup and ran across the street to chase my much bigger dog once and it got hit pretty hard by a motorbike, 555. (the biker didn't crash)

people keep feeding those dogs rice and shitty leftovers. no wonder they are all infected and scabby.

I wish they gave fines to people that feed those dogs to be honest.

P5vSmgM.jpg

hEoWYhb.jpg

Horrible that an animal has to live like that. It is not compassionate to let an animal get to that state. Just awful. 

• Like 1

What an idiot must be that city vat!!! Seems he not have a glue of an idea how dangerous these dogs are for the health and secure of the people living here!! 

Get all the millions of stray dogs to his home and see how he handle that!!!! 

• Like 1

Don't know why all of the hysteria. Perhaps most failed to read the article.

They are warning signs for strangers or criminals and can safely co-exist with people if they are properly vaccinated and sterilized.

Surapong said people too often get cute puppies then discard the dogs when they grow up. If people spent more time considering the decision to get a dog and kept them for the average 11-year lifespan, there would be far fewer strays, he said

Makes perfect sense to me.