Democrats face 'almost impossible map' to retake U.S. Senate

rooster59

With Dems facing re-election in 26 of 35 races, it seems much more likely that they will actually lose ground and drop down from 49 (caucus, incl independents) to 47, or lower? Even if there is the odd net gain like long-shot O'Rourke.

Nelson, Donnelly, McCaskill, Heitkamp, maybe even Manchin? could be vulnerable.

Maybe Heller and Cruz on the other side are vulnerable?

I'm not sure what's possible with Flake, Corker and even McCain's replacement?

Maybe even get to 55:45 R/D?

Going up a net 2 seems unlikely, even given the current "climate"?

The "Connecticut Compromise" (1787) was just that, a compromise, which at that time was necessary. Now? Maybe not exactly what was originally intended, and maybe too much of an influence?

Edited by mtls2005

52 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

With Dems facing re-election in 26 of 35 races, it seems much more likely that they will actually lose ground and drop down from 49 (caucus, incl independents) to 47, or lower? Even if there is the odd net gain like long-shot O'Rourke.

Nelson, Donnelly, McCaskill, Heitkamp, maybe even Manchin? could be vulnerable.

Maybe Heller and Cruz on the other side are vulnerable?

I'm not sure what's possible with Flake, Corker and even McCain's replacement?

Maybe even get to 55:45 R/D?

Going up a net 2 seems unlikely, even given the current "climate"?

The "Connecticut Compromise" (1787) was just that, a compromise, which at that time was necessary. Now? Maybe not exactly what was originally intended, and maybe too much of an influence?

We differ on predictions of the mid term result in the senate, but agree on the ‘Connecticut Compromise’.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The democrats are out campaigning to encourage new voters both the young who will vote for the first time and ethnic groups who may not have voted in the past.

But the voter suppression efforts are ramping up too. 

50:50 would be interesting for an Impeachment Trial.

WWMPD?

5 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Instead of just banging the "Hate Trump" drum constantly and still arguing the last election result

This thread is about the 2018 Senate mid-terms, and that's what most of us are discussing.

You, however, seem to be the one who is bringing up the 2016 election. And of course, tRUmp who seems to bring up the 2016 election at every rally, event, opportunity.

There are but a handful of close races, with few issues for the Republicans to run on. They have chosen not to run on the tax cuts or health care, so that leaves the economy, judges and brown people, with tRUmp being the wild-card.

About the only Senate race I'm following is the Cruz-O'Rourke battle in Texas. It will be interesting to see if Cruz really ends up bringing tRUmp in to campaign?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Trump nominees will win more seats than they lose in 2018

Yes, the net add will favor the Republicans by 2 ~ 4 seats in the Senate. In the House, it looks like the Dems will eek out a majority.

This is my best guess TODAY.

If tRUmp does something stoopid tomorrow, the over/under on that is YES?, then who knows?

8 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Instead of just banging the "Hate Trump" drum constantly and still arguing the last election result...if the Democrats came up with (and concentrated on) some solutions/answers that addressed Americans' concerns/problems with the aim of winning over the swing voters, or actually try to widen their appeal from the fluffy strong left Hollyweird sort of stuff you constantly hear, then they would be fine. Things are too polarized now as you are either a Nazi or a Marxist for saying the slightest thing...the middle ground of politics needs reclaiming everywhere, not too hot and not too cold is where it should be at as only trouble or failure is to found at either of the extremes.

Here is the issue that 70% of Americans agree on right now. 

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/403248-poll-seventy-percent-of-americans-support-medicare-for-all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

If I were an American I would be most concerned about the economy. All the fluff about Trump did this, Trump said that is meaningless. I would want a strong economy so I can care for my family. Regardless if Trump is or is not responsible for the booming American economy he is getting the credit no matter what Democrats say. Possession is 9/10 of the law.

You not caring that your president is a racist, women molester who cheated hard working people out of their money all his life says enough about you as a person. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You not caring that your president is a racist, women molester who cheated hard working people out of their money all his life says enough about you as a person. 

He's not my president. 

Edited by Sakeopete
I thought I was replying to another Trump post.
  • Like 2

FOX has these last couple of days started calling out Trump’s lies, and not because they’ve only just realised Trump is a stranger to the truth.

FOX are doing so because they see the writing on the wall and they don’t want to be left supporting Trump as he’s dragged out of the White House.

Illiberals who rely on FOX for their news and ‘Faith in Trump’ top ups are going to have face some conflicting ideas as FOX recalibrates their heads.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sakeopete said:

He's not my president. I'm only countering racism and sexism. If you can show me evidence pointing to him being racist and sexist I will gladly view it. 

What’s the point of arguing with you when you clearly don’t except the reality of Trump’s blatant sexism and race baiting.

However low the bar is set on Trump’s behaviour, you’ll still limbo under it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1