Post From Uk/eire.

thomo

How long does it normally take for an average letter to arrive from the UK or Ireland - Is it normally longer than 2 weeks/10 working days?

Thanks.

Ps. To BKK.

Ordinary letter mail (ie. not packages) takes 5-6 days from the U.K. to reach me in Pattaya. This has been the norm for over five years. Ensure that the sender uses capital letters and addresses the letter completely.

Yeah, 5-8 days, varies, stuff from my parents is quicker ('coz they have the address in Thai) which seems reasonable. We're not exactly in the boonies, but not many farangs around.

Took mum a while to convince the lady at the country post office that 4 lines of funny squiggles with the word 'Thailand' at the bottom would work :o

LOL that reminds me of a letter I addressed to someone in France. I sent it from Canada with my return address being my address in Hawaii.

ONE YEAR LATER the letter arrived in my box in Hawaii stamped "no one of that name at this address" in French.

I shoulda kept it. Quite the souvenir.

In fact, it is kind of like a message in a bottle. Try sending a letter from one country to another with a return address in a third country. See how long it gets to said return address!

Edited by Smilodon

When I worked in Saudi, I had a letter that went on holiday. First to South Africa, then to Zimbabwe, Congo, Angola, Mozambique and finally Saudi. My wife used the abbreviation KSA for Kingdom of Saudi Arabia but its first port of call was RSA (Republic of South Africa).

Do other countries postal services take the same care as the British Royal Mail with strangely addressed letters? Addresses like: Mrs. Smith(the one with the Jack Russell terrier), The house with the blue door, opposite the Shell petrol station near the railway bridge (town's name). That letter would be delivered!

Edited by mr_hippo