Landlord not returning rent deposit

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

No, that's the last thing anyone should do as it just encourages these despicable little thieves to do it again.

The answer is to complain loudly to anyone who will listen and the report the landlord to any official body that seems relevant (police, tourist police, city hall, office of consumer protection, internal revenue department, ministry of tourism, media ......).

I've rather leave the 5k than go through all that rigmarole. Life's too short. Have you ever spent much time at the Police/tourist police stations and City Hall? I have and it's pointless.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That's very defeatist and merely leads to more and more people trying to pull the same scam, and to me avoiding that would be more important than any financial loss I might have incurred.

For what it's worth yes, I have spent a lot of time at City Hall (spread over a dozen or more visits) and in the end I did get exactly what I wanted, in spite of many people who told me that I would get nowhere and that I was wasting my time. Also I got what I wanted without paying anything to anyone, and without getting angry or being impolite.

So I would say it is well worth trying. Those with no willpower or stamina can just crawl away, if they like, but I would not do that. Even if I tried to get help with a problem and failed, I would at least have the satisfaction of knowing that I did the right thing by trying. I would feel very small if I just gave up before even starting.

Yes, take a stand for the greater good of the community in Thailand. LOL

In reality, nothing the OP does will change anything in Thailand. It's purely a personal decision of deciding what his time is worth in an effort to retrieve it. Landlords keep deposits now, they did 10 years ago and they will in the future. It's easy to get away with it when tenants are foreigners with time restrictions. They can come up with many bogus reasons to keep it.

How's this one? I don't have the money (for any one of hundreds of possible reasons). Come back next month... 

Edited by tropo

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

Big deal... you spent some time at City Hall and succeeded after much effort to do something that had nothing to do with rent deposits. It's ridiculous to suggest an itinerant in Thailand should take a stand and waste hours if not days at police/tourist police stations and City Hall etc to try to retrieve 5k from a landlord in order to save other people from the same problem in the future. I've never heard such absurd advice. 

Getting what I wanted was well worth the time I spent getting it. In fact it would have been worth much more time. The actual effort was zero, as was the cost.

Had I listened to people like you I would not have pursued my complaint and would not have got what I wanted. So as far as I can see I certainly made the right decision.

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

Defeatest? LOL. What planet do you live on? I think you live in your own imaginary bubble. 

Yes, your attitude is defeatist by definition. You probably cant see that, but that's your loss.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:54 PM, lust said:

5000baht deposit lol.

my landlord refused to give back 26,000deposit.

I had one refuse to give back 38,000 because I moved out 6 months early.   I was in breach of contract so I simply let it go.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2018 at 10:24 AM, Don Chance said:

That's what i am asking. I wonder if there is any point. I don't like dealing with them.

They'll tell you what the other poster said.

Give him another week or so, but really they don't give a ******

Don't use logic and common sense here, of course he may try and get away with paying it back, but you expect him to inconvenience someone else or bother about it to please you. Why would he care when he actually has to give money back.

Your best approach would be to give it a few more days and politely, remind him about the deposit. You definitely dont want to pi$$ him off.

best you can do,if you have a contract, and proof you paid the deposit, get a lawyer for advice.

Not needto be afraid. Earlier advices given to you, forget them. This man try to fool you, dont buy it.

If you pay 2 months deposit and you are leaving in 2 months, dont pay the rent anymore and go.

If you have nothing to proofyou paid the deposit, you can forget what i told you.

Good luck

Just to provide an alternative viewpoint, I have received my deposit back less very reasonable room clean charges from every apartment I have ever rented in Thailand.

Landlords tend to have track records. Those that are reasonable with one tenant tend to be reasonable to all and those that have cheated tenants in the past will tend to continue with the trend.

• Like 1

I see a lot of people wrongly suggesting to go to the Tourist police for these type of situations.

You should file a report with the Office of Consumer Protection Board.

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

They are located in Chaengwatthana Government Complex. Complaints can also be submitted online by creating an account on the website.

They are the body that mediates disputes between landlords and tenants. My understanding is that they are quite efficient at what they do, based on reports.

The first step they will take is that they will contact the landlord and request him to attend a meeting to discuss the case.

In many cases, landlords should relent at this step, to avoid further complication, if they are in the wrong.

Send him a e mail or message saying the Inland Revenue have contacted you because you are claiming your tax withheld on your Thai bank account and they are questioning the regular payments / withdrawals on your bank account (rent) so you need to give them his details, the property must be registered at the land office! He does not need to know your bank details ( if you have one here) 

In fact I would go to the land office and get details of the registered owner ( perfectly legal) and include them with your e mail ! That will make him think! 

Edited by JohnC
Added

On 8/25/2018 at 7:14 PM, Don Chance said:

You'd think the landlord would be concerned about getting his key back or if i really did damage something.

So, if you still have his key it doesn't seem as if you have moved out.  You should only get your deposit back after the condo is inspected for damage, you turn over the key, and are out the door for good.  At that point a careful landlord will change the door code on the entrance door lock, which the door should have.

I had one refuse to give back 38,000 because I moved out 6 months early.   I was in breach of contract so I simply let it go.

If in breach of contract its fair enough he keeps the deposit, you should pay whatever is owed.

In Scotland where i am a landlord its actually better that the deposit is held by a 3rd party, it gives the tenant some security and prevents the urge to keep the deposit.
  • Like 1

I always have a moving out party after I have moved in another place. If the situation is like that. 

So invite everyone I mean everyone and trash the place good. Break a few items while your at it. That will teach the landlord. 

6 minutes ago, RT555 said:

I always have a moving out party after I have moved in another place. If the situation is like that. 

So invite everyone I mean everyone and trash the place good. Break a few items while your at it. That will teach the landlord. 

Yeah you do that, landlord makes a police report, and you are detained at the airport.

OCPB is the solution, as I have stated in a previous post.

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yeah you do that, landlord makes a police report, and you are detained at the airport.

OCPB is the solution, as I have stated in a previous post.

LOL... A SERIOUS DUDE YOU ARE. 

It was all pun intended.. Have another drink. 

9 minutes ago, RT555 said:

LOL... A SERIOUS DUDE YOU ARE. 

It was all pun intended.. Have another drink. 

Actually, some people I know left a place trashed upon departure and the landlord wanted to make a police report, but the agent convinced him not to. Same agent as I was using and heard the story aftwerwards from her. 

So yeah, I do tend to look at these things seriously ?

I know you were joking, just don't want some here to take it seriously, since that approach is like playing with fire in Thailand.

Edited by lkv

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

Actually, some people I know left a place trashed upon departure and the landlord wanted to make a police report, but the agent convinced him not to. Same agent as I was using and heard the story aftwerwards from her. 

So yeah, I do tend to look at these things seriously ?

I know you were joking, just don't want some here to take it seriously, since that approach is like playing with fire in Thailand.

Landlord won't go near the place until he's sure that the tenant is long gone.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:01 PM, baansgr said:

Forget the deposit, turn all the electrics and water on, put fresh prawns in as many hiding places you can and have a good flight home.?

And if you are feeling really naughty, a bag of ready mixed cement down all the pipes and toilet.

don't forget a bottle of fish sauce pour in every nook and cranny of all cabinets in the house

From 1 may new law come,owners most pay back guaranti and can not take more for eletric/water then kompany take.If they doit have to pay fine 100 000 Baht and can even be prison.htt://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th.tap-water-electricity-fees-apartements-come-legal-controll

On 8/26/2018 at 2:46 PM, mauroest said:

I had the same trouble two days before flight home. Deposit was 18.000 THB. The real estate was sick, far, busy, not answer calls, emails, sms.  Just disappeared.  His business card shows a ghost address
I had one day to go to tourist police  and they just translated my words in thai  and after I must go to Police headquarter. Just waste of time.    Farang vs farang, they are not interested.
One year after, with many effort, I fix a fake meeting with that ''gentleman''.  Lazy police was present but not helpful.  I was able to get back 50% 

The real estate guy (I assume it was a guy) was a Farang, and kept 50% of your'e money? Easy, take the other 50%

out of his hide.

• Like 1

It happened to us as we moved out early because the water pump broke and he wanted 30000 baht to fix (new about 5000). Thai lady next door told the GF that he and the owner did stuff all the time and hence the previous tenant moved out BUT left all his crockery, bedding and cutlery etc and went back to Russia. We got told wee would not get a deposit back so we took all the Russians bloke stuff with us, had the cable tv disconnected and internet stuff, the GF refused to clean the place and wer paid no electric or water bills. They never rang us but one of the neighbours said it cost them a bomb to replace everything they should have fixed and it was vacant for over 6 months.

The new place we are in we asked to put things in and told the landlord we would leave them there and he was happy. In fact he came around to help us build something to keep the dog in and anything that needs fixing is seen to straight away, usually that day.

Just give the guy another call and see what he says. Sometimes things happen maybe he is sick and doesn’t want to give money to relative to being afraid of it not getting to you....

and sometimes times people rip off people. I don’t know if the person rents on a regular basis if so it’s not good for business if he doesn’t pay. 

Tell him him you will give referrals (if you will) and if stiffs you tell him you’ll make sure to tell others not to rent there.. 

Yes, your attitude is defeatist by definition. You probably cant see that, but that's your loss.

I never see much the way you do. That’s a win. If you enjoy wasting your time chasing your tail that’s your loss. City Hall won’t help with rental deposit disputes, neither will regular police or tourist police. It’s a civil dispute not worth pursuing for a paltry 5000 baht.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Tell him him you will give referrals (if you will) and if stiffs you tell him you’ll make sure to tell others not to rent there.. 

After all the hassle I had with my previous landlord (see post#29), as I was only moving 100 yards away, he had the temerity to put a "for rent" sign outside the house with my mobile number on it. Expects me to show people round.

I can't wait for a call...…...