Jump to content

1000's of rentals under 15,000 b


bkk6060

Recommended Posts

I have a buddy coming to live here in a few months.  He has asked me to check out some condos for rent under 15,000 b a month.

I recently went to a few of the larger real estate agencies and also did some research online.

I guess I was surprised how many there are.  Many between 8,000 to 13,000 a month.

One office had over 700 properties for rent in this price range.

The geographic break down was about 75% Jomtien and Pratumnak. 20 % Naklua, and about 5% central. There was a one bedroom at The Base for 12,000 b. That is the lowest I have ever seen there.

Jomtien by far had the most of any area. Several in newer nice looking properties.

With this, if one is looking at a long term rental shop around and I think negotiation to a lower price would be in order. Just too many out there not too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

       No doubt there are lots of rentals available, especially if you don't care where you live, what view you have, what size of condo you have, what floor you are on, what features the condo has, what amenities the project has, etc., etc.  It's the same thing whether you are buying or renting.  As soon as you do have some preferences, the choices narrow. 

        From what you have found, if you want Naklua or central Pattaya, the choices narrow quite a bit, especially central Pattaya.  If you want a seaview, more narrowing.  On the baht bus line, more narrowing.  Under a certain price, more narrowing.  At least a certain size, say 40sqm, more narrowing.  A big balcony, more narrowing.  A project with a gym, more narrowing.  And, so on.  Suddenly, those 1000s of rentals may not really be 1000s that you would be interested in. 

      A couple of caveats.  When you are searching rentals, or condos for sale, you will often get the same condo listed with different agencies and websites such as Hipflat.  The 2 bedroom Centric Sea condo we had for sale had at least 10 separate listings on Hipflat by different agencies.  At first glance it looked like 10 condos for sale but it was only 1.  You will also be seeing some out-of-date information; a 1 bedroom condo we sold at Centric Sea 2 years ago is still listed for sale on Hipflat, and likely some realtor websites.  Even though we notify agencies when a condo sells, we often get calls years later from realtors wanting to show the condo to a buyer.  So, a little more narrowing.   But, if someone's not too picky there should be enough choices to do some bargaining on condos for rent or sale.  

      

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, newnative said:

       No doubt there are lots of rentals available, especially if you don't care where you live, what view you have, what size of condo you have, what floor you are on, what features the condo has, what amenities the project has, etc., etc.  It's the same thing whether you are buying or renting.  As soon as you do have some preferences, the choices narrow. 

        From what you have found, if you want Naklua or central Pattaya, the choices narrow quite a bit, especially central Pattaya.  If you want a seaview, more narrowing.  On the baht bus line, more narrowing.  Under a certain price, more narrowing.  At least a certain size, say 40sqm, more narrowing.  A big balcony, more narrowing.  A project with a gym, more narrowing.  And, so on.  Suddenly, those 1000s of rentals may not really be 1000s that you would be interested in. 

      A couple of caveats.  When you are searching rentals, or condos for sale, you will often get the same condo listed with different agencies and websites such as Hipflat.  The 2 bedroom Centric Sea condo we had for sale had at least 10 separate listings on Hipflat by different agencies.  At first glance it looked like 10 condos for sale but it was only 1.  You will also be seeing some out-of-date information; a 1 bedroom condo we sold at Centric Sea 2 years ago is still listed for sale on Hipflat, and likely some realtor websites.  Even though we notify agencies when a condo sells, we often get calls years later from realtors wanting to show the condo to a buyer.  So, a little more narrowing.   But, if someone's not too picky there should be enough choices to do some bargaining on condos for rent or sale.  

      

Is Hipflat the best site for condo listings? Seems they've got the best and widest amount of listings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Is Hipflat the best site for condo listings? Seems they've got the best and widest amount of listings.

I do not want to give out names but several of the larger real estate agents in town have good websites with prices and photos.  They mostly give a general map location but not an exact address or name of building.  But from some of the photos, I have figured out a few of the places in Pratumnak.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Is Hipflat the best site for condo listings? Seems they've got the best and widest amount of listings.

   I think Hipflat can give you some idea on prices and it has some information on the projects such as number of units, when built, amenities, etc., although sometimes the information is not always accurate.  As bkk6060 has said, there are some large agencies with good websites that can also be used. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, newnative said:

   I think Hipflat can give you some idea on prices and it has some information on the projects such as number of units, when built, amenities, etc., although sometimes the information is not always accurate.  As bkk6060 has said, there are some large agencies with good websites that can also be used. 

Any suggestions for these large agencies? Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Any suggestions for these large agencies? Thanks

      I don't want to endorse one agency over another.  Lots should come up on Google and some of the local real estate magazines, such as REM, have realtor directories.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My approach is to:-

  1. Visit the different areas to get a feel for where I want to be (scoping out Condos as I'm walking around)
  2. use Google Maps to see what condos are in the area & Hipflat / DDProperty to get a feel for the place
  3. Come up with a shortlist, then visit the office there to see what Condos they have available  

Then negotiate (Just scored a 5-6 year old, 45sqm 2 bed, 1 bath Condo staggering distance to On Nut BTS station for 20K :))

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll be staggering a long way to the BTS from Pattaya.

 

Also check out the locations at night /early morning as there could be an open air karaoke,Ice crushing factory,boom box pickup truck etc etc etc and not much sleep.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johng said:

You'll be staggering a long way to the BTS from Pattaya.

 

Also check out the locations at night /early morning as there could be an open air karaoke,Ice crushing factory,boom box pickup truck etc etc etc and not much sleep.

 

 

Lol, sorry, I missed that the thread was in the Pattaya forum ?

 

FWIW I followed a similar approach for the last 3 Condos I've had in Singapore (They don't have listings in the management offices here, but DDProperty & PropertyGuru are great sites to see what's available) & plan on following exactly the same when I finally move over to Thailand full time (Bangkok is a convenient stop gap whilst I need to commute to Singapore for work).

 

Great advice about checking the place out at different times of the day, have stayed in my mates Condo in the area for long weekend 3 times so walked around the area at all times of the day.

 

Sorry again for being OT, hope the approach is something that people might find useful (+ DDProperty Thailand is a good site to check what's available & prices, in Pattaya as well as Bangkok ?).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johng said:

You'll be staggering a long way to the BTS from Pattaya.

 

Also check out the locations at night /early morning as there could be an open air karaoke,Ice crushing factory,boom box pickup truck etc etc etc and not much sleep.

 

 

100% great advice.

As much as most residents hate it, just about 90% of the condos are available for ST on various websites.

I would actually recommend narrowing down your choices and booking a few nights at the place.

No surprises I hate noise!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

My approach is to:-

  1. Visit the different areas to get a feel for where I want to be (scoping out Condos as I'm walking around)
  2. use Google Maps to see what condos are in the area & Hipflat / DDProperty to get a feel for the place
  3. Come up with a shortlist, then visit the office there to see what Condos they have available  

Then negotiate (Just scored a 5-6 year old, 45sqm 2 bed, 1 bath Condo staggering distance to On Nut BTS station for 20K :))

 

 

Good luck. I liked your post until the Oh Nuts part.

Why Oh Nuts? I had a place for a few weeks there and every morning when I woke up I would say to myself: Oh Nuts, why did I rent a place here!

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Good luck. I liked your post until the Oh Nuts part.

Why Oh Nuts? I had a place for a few weeks there and every morning when I woke up I would say to myself: Oh Nuts, why did I rent a place here!

I like the area & have a few mates who live around there.

 

I've did rent a Condo for 30 days in central Bangkok (Trendy on Soi 13) & hated it (too polluted for one), so I wanted somewhere a little further out but easy to get into town & to Swampy (also considered something on the Airport Link line but decided that I'd be flying late at night / early morning so would be using taxis anyway).

 

If I move to Pattaya, it would probably be Naklua, Pratumnak or Jomtien - Somewhere a little outside of the madness ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...