Driving licence uproar unmasks character flaws

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

What about when they try to cross to the  other side of the road? 

There is a reason a noodle shop connected to a 100c Honda wave is illegal at the dlt

Crossing to the other side of the road is not exactly a unique activity solely engaged in by mobile noodle shops!

Illegal they may be, but is that because of specific legislation forbidding them "per se", or because there is no rule which specifies that they are allowed? Moreover there is a reason that they are tolerated - maybe because they provide a service within their communities, and are a livelihood to many who could never afford an alternative - whilst being negligible as a cause of traffic accidents.

Maybe I am sticking my neck out here, but I can't help wondering if the real "problem" is that they inconvenience those who wish to sweep by behind their tinted glass.

They are part of the "street scape". They do no harm. That is why they are left alone. 

Well, Thais, as lovely as they are, suffer from a plethora of character and culture flaw, and there are several places where these flaws are most obvious: the roads, handling conflicts and devaluing truth.

NEARLY EVERYTHING is done improperly in Thailand and all Thai groupings should feel a profound sense of constant shame.

Many of you here blame the Thai police which is justified, but what group of Thais can any of you say generally does things properly??? 

• The Thai road engineers who design idiotic roads with unmanaged u-turns on high speed expressways?
  • The Thai sign makers who can't seem to figure out how to properly do road signage?
  • The Thai drivers who at dawn and dusk regularly neglect to turn on their headlamps?
  • The Thai elite who value "might is right" and drive like absolute maniacs because they have a more expensive car and more power?
  • The Thai road maintenance people who can't figure out how to properly paint lines on the roads and are too lazy or dumb to cover/remove old lines causing absolute confusion (think Hua Hin)?
  • The average Thai drivers who change lanes as casually as they change direction when walking?
  • The average Thai drivers who drive as closely to each other as possible even at high speed?
  • The average Thai police officer who seems disinterested in all of it?

Who???

19 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

You sure can break it by accident. Doesn't mean you didn't break it and don't need to cough up. 

Did you read my post?  I freely admitted I was in the wrong.  I accepted I would be punished and fined.  The topic is about how to curb police demanding bribes/fines

16 hours ago, The manic said:

Stop being so preachy. Try addressing issues in your own country. Or try living in North Korea or Signapore . Lots of rules and regulations there.

Pot calling kettle? Seems to me you are being preachy to me and anyone who shares my views. 

Contrary to you I did not preach to anyone. I am simply stating a fact, and back home... kids don't learn to ride motorcycles on the road. Their parents get them dirt bikes. You don't go play with the big boys when the law says you can't... plain and simple

I smell a troll

22 hours ago, a977 said:

So you paid the cop 300thb thereby contributing to the problem you are complaining about. If you had not paid what was going to happen he fine you, you go to bank or police station pay fine no contribution to police benefit fund.  You are not required by law to give police your licence only court can take licence from you. You are required to show police your licence for the purposes of I.D. and to check your details they cannot confiscate your licence.  And you wonder why police corruption is so rife!!!!!!

Agreed I paid; but each time I have been stopped by the Bandits-in-Brown, they ask to see my licence which entails handing it to him. He then 'sells' it back to me.  I did not know they could not confiscate your licence - so I say to the man with a gun 'I will not pay.  Give me back my licence.  Take me to your leader.  Take me to a bank or police station where I will pay a legitimate fine.'?

My contribution to the debate was to illustrate that the proposed heavy fines will increase police corruption without having any effect on the daily death toll.

It would take years to change the entrenched mentality.  Laws aren't enforced effectively or consistently and in most cases not at all.  To change that mentality will need the populace to trust the police and authorities and for the police and authorities to start enforcing the laws consistently not just on the basis of a crackdown which is forgotten the next day.

I have said it before and will say it again, to change laws to make it better forf ALL , then sadly the current mind-set of the local population has to also change, ne that a lowly worker to a hi-so executive. Nothing at all will change or make the slightestm difference until Thai Culture and mentality move into the 21st century. Laws are broken each and every day with apparent impunity from No licence to scamming billions from the needy. 

Just abide by the law and you can sail through all of this, however that concept is lost on Thais !!

52 minutes ago, JAG said:

Crossing to the other side of the road is not exactly a unique activity solely engaged in by mobile noodle shops!

Illegal they may be, but is that because of specific legislation forbidding them "per se", or because there is no rule which specifies that they are allowed? Moreover there is a reason that they are tolerated - maybe because they provide a service within their communities, and are a livelihood to many who could never afford an alternative - whilst being negligible as a cause of traffic accidents.

Maybe I am sticking my neck out here, but I can't help wondering if the real "problem" is that they inconvenience those who wish to sweep by behind their tinted glass.

They are part of the "street scape". They do no harm. That is why they are left alone. 

I almost killed one of them in the dark who was travelling about 5km an hour on a main road and he didn't have any reflectors never mind lights on his rig..... 

A 100cc Honda wave is not powerful or stable enough to transport a mobile restaurant, especially on Thai roads where people have little respect for the speed limits

Surely you can break the law by accident?  If this happens one expects punishment in the form of a fine; court approved and honestly administered.  One does not expect a demand for 500 baht as I was yesterday by a cop who pulled me because I wandered out of my lane, not knowing the road & being 400 kms from home.  I paid a reduced 300 rather than surrender my licence & have to return to collect it.
This new law will merely put up the going rate for police bribes & do nothing to reduce the daily road kill.
Good grief. You "wandered out your lane" ? Where was this? We all know how bad the driving is here.. and the complete lack of concern for the law the police have in this topic... So this cop must have been behind you.. In a bike or car? I have NEVER seen a highway patrol car. Not sure if they exist here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

Good grief. You "wandered out your lane" ? Where was this? We all know how bad the driving is here.. and the complete lack of concern for the law the police have in this topic... So this cop must have been behind you.. In a bike or car? I have NEVER seen a highway patrol car. Not sure if they exist here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On the 304 mountain road; heavy wagons crawling along; a sudden slight bend left me momentarily on the wrong side; cop was standing next to me and pulled me.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:40 PM, webfact said:

Bribery feeds on the tendency to disregard the law. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:40 PM, webfact said:

The proposed heavier penalties would of course hit underprivileged people worst, and sometimes they do need to drive without a licence. For them, Bt10,000 could but several months’ supply of food, and it is they who are the most susceptible to abuse by dishonest policemen. 

Is this not disregarding the law? and are you not finding an excuse for doing it?

Oh the poor! We must feel sorry for the poor!

No WE MUST NOT

Because if they are so poor how can they buy a bike in the first place ? 

Whether it be by hire purchase or outright purchase,they have still had the money to buy it and therefore they have the small amount of money needed to take a test and pay for it and the licence 

So they are not so poor as you seem to think they are, are they?

It is time to stop finding excuses for bad practice and enabling people who do not give a tuppeny s- - t for the law or safety of themselves or others to disregard it entirely.

We May then get some semblance of better driving standards.

And while we are about it, it is also time to re-educate the RTP to stop them driving in the same appalling way,

They drive the wrong way on one way streets and main roads not because they need to but because they can, they also cut across oncoming traffic at traffic lights because just like the rest of the idiot brigade they have an “ I have to be the first across the road “ mentality thereby setting concrete examples for other stupid uncaring people to follow.

The heavier fines are a good idea but it has got to be for all if it is ever going to be effective.

Archived