Driving licence uproar unmasks character flaws

webfact

the purpose of the driver's license is regulatory. unfortunately, people here think that it's their birthright to operate a motor vehicle. the excessive penalties are placed to deter. but it's all useless until the police actually enforce the traffic rules and regulations. incremental penalties can be imposed and severely punish repeat offenders. they should even consider forcing those with lifelong licenses to renew. those who still have them have not been updated with current rules and regulations.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People just do not get it do they.

Simply get a drivers license and carry it with you. How hard is that to understand or to do.

The spokesmen for the new law opens the door to corruption are singing in the wind. People who drive with out a license are corrupt already. Those with a licence have nothing to worry about. What can the police do if you are driving legally? Nothing ,nada not a thing so where does corruption enter if a person has a license. This is so simple break the law get charged not rocket science.Do not break the law drive with out a care.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Keep it as it is, everybody ok with it, apart from some obey - the law - whingers, who never will be happy. 

Agree, but maybe make a north and south thailand. Rock paper scissors for who gets the north.

28 minutes ago, rtco said:

On the 331/304 between Pattaya and Korat ... sometimes up to 4 checkpoints

mate, they have to be able to show you were speeding as just saying it is not good enough, unless they can actually show it on a camera etc you can refuse. We have been pulled over for being over the speed limit a few times and every time they actually show you the speed etc, without this they cannot do anything as in court it would be thrown out and now I have the dash cam in the car it is even more so

Why all this outrage on social media regarding new traffic laws? Simple answer - Do not break the law.

I have a Thai driving licence, car insurance and road tax (all valid) and when I am stopped at a road checkpoint I get a courteous salute and waved on.

50 minutes ago, a977 said:

So you paid the cop 300thb thereby contributing to the problem you are complaining about. If you had not paid what was going to happen he fine you, you go to bank or police station pay fine no contribution to police benefit fund.  You are not required by law to give police your licence only court can take licence from you. You are required to show police your licence for the purposes of I.D. and to check your details they cannot confiscate your licence.  And you wonder why police corruption is so rife!!!!!!

Where I can see your point what do you do when you hand your license for id verification, then mr plod keeps hold of it and demands a "fine", do you get out of the car and wrestle him, report him to a superior....good luck with that too.

A couple of months ago I was stopped at a toll booth coming into Bangkok. What they had done was to extend the unbroken white line way ahead of the booths. Then, because you come around a bend in the road you are immediately confronted with the fast track lanes. You have no alternative than to cross the white line to the cash booth........Guess who is waiting after the booth......Guess who got conned.....He had my license and told me I would have to collect it at the local station. This is where the law is corrupt. Instead, take a photo of the license ( if you are guilty of an infringement), file a ticket, then return the license. You should also be able to pay at your local station within a certain time frame which would eliminate the hold the police have on you.

just got back from Hat Yai, never saw a cop the whole weekend, 2 accidents no cops, bikes and cars were just going through red lights in the city centre, corrupt cops would have made some good tea money. The amount of drivers/riders that simply ignore the road rules is a joke in Thailand, they are whinging about this because it means they will have to put themselves out to fulfill it, same with the farangs that are bitching about it. Road laws are in place around the world, try not having a licence in the west, big fines etc, same when you dont follow the road laws, really pathetic anyone is getting upset that they are going to enforce the laws on licences here, if people are not breaking the law they have nothing to bitch about

Without some consequence for breaking the law people will not abide by the law.

All major countries have fines for not adhering to the laws; look at the fines in Singapore and what a law abiding nation they are.

In Thailand the "self-policing" doesn't work; the hierarchy expect people to follow the law but of course some don't. 

If we have fewer unlicensed drivers, uninsured drivers, underage drivers, speeders, drunks or whatever it is as a result of the higher fines then I'm all for it. 

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Forget about licences as they're only a formality and a piece of paper and has nothing to do with the abilities of a person to drive,

it has a lot to do with traffic flows and rules, where many narrow roads should be one way rather than 2 ways, all right hand turns from small sois and driveways should be prohibited as the ther force traffic flowing in both directions, road barriers that put up today are moved few days later, bad design of roads where entries and exits are crossing each other too soon and many, many more issues that when culminated together create problems...

That's all well and good, but the roads are not going to be re-engineered  or realigned  in the next decade.

However, what can be addressed are drivers' attitudes and behavior. The proposed changes do just that and it is a step in the right direction.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This new law is typical of the Thai bureaucratic mentality; make a new law, introduce HUGE penalties for a violation, and allow "law-enforcement" officers the leeway to manage it. This system does not work well.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will become better drivers? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will follow traffic laws? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will wear helmets?? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will drive on the proper side of the road? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will wear a seat belt? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will limit the number of people on a bike? Nope.

I could go on, but the point is made.

What will this law actually do?

It will give the police yet another leverage point whereby they can extort money.

I am all with the Thai people who are complaining. If you want to ensure better driving on Thai roads (and I hope all do!), then this measure doesn't do anything to achieve that goal. It is simply another outlet for bureaucracy, bribery and booty.

Why not force the police too get out of their offices occasionally and patrol the roads to ensure that drivers are driving well? That strikes me as a better solution...

They can only extort you when you are braking the law, so wear a helmet, get a license, drive on the right side, wear a seatbelt, ......

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In a fair and efficient society, anyone anywhere should be able to get a driving licence quickly and either free of charge

After passing a meaningful driving test, and a medical certificate, and eyesight test.

This new law is typical of the Thai bureaucratic mentality; make a new law, introduce HUGE penalties for a violation, and allow "law-enforcement" officers the leeway to manage it. This system does not work well.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will become better drivers? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will follow traffic laws? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will wear helmets?? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will drive on the proper side of the road? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will wear a seat belt? Nope.

Does this new law ensure that Thais will limit the number of people on a bike? Nope.

I could go on, but the point is made.

What will this law actually do?

It will give the police yet another leverage point whereby they can extort money.

I am all with the Thai people who are complaining. If you want to ensure better driving on Thai roads (and I hope all do!), then this measure doesn't do anything to achieve that goal. It is simply another outlet for bureaucracy, bribery and booty.

Why not force the police too get out of their offices occasionally and patrol the roads to ensure that drivers are driving well? That strikes me as a better solution...

In my opinion witnessing the driving of Thai's and having a minor accident with a scooter near the house. All these are relevant issues for sure. It seems to me just like any law there only purpose is a monetary one rather than teaching one about road safety and driving skills. One can have all of the above but still be irresponsible driver. Not sure what the remedy would be since at least where I live there are many from Cambodia and disregard any and all laws from what I see on a daily basis.

I may be wrong here,but to become a member of the Police,firstly you have to have a connection[family member or such] to be considered.

Secondly i believe ,Police certainley in areas outside the big cities have to purchase their own uniforms,guns and a motorcycle,so by the time they are out on the street,they may well have spent 200,000 baht,so how to recoup that on their meagre salary,take bribes.

i have not done any real research but i would be surprised if many other countries operate a Police force this way .

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Surely you can break the law by accident?  If this happens one expects punishment in the form of a fine; court approved and honestly administered.  One does not expect a demand for 500 baht as I was yesterday by a cop who pulled me because I wandered out of my lane, not knowing the road & being 400 kms from home.  I paid a reduced 300 rather than surrender my licence & have to return to collect it.

This new law will merely put up the going rate for police bribes & do nothing to reduce the daily road kill.

You sure can break it by accident. Doesn't mean you didn't break it and don't need to cough up. 

The public’s concern that police could demand bribes from drivers who cannot produce a licence stems from the common perception that cops are corrupt and opportunistic.

this should read:

The public’s concern that police will demand bribes from drivers who cannot produce a licence stems from the common practice that cops are corrupt and opportunistic.

The only way to stop police fines/corruption is that a ticket must be issued stating the offence, the driver must then take the ticket to a local government office to pay the appropriate fine & receive a receipt.

Fines are banded as to the severity of the offence to decide what value fine is to be payed...  clearly defined & displayed for all to see.. 

no money is to be collected at the road-side by officers!

Drivers not wishing to pay fines are obliged to get street legal, a hotline can be set-up to report police asking/demanding bribes...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

No one needs fret if they’ve forgotten their wallet at home and that’s where the licence is. The punishment is unlikely to be applied as long as they can produce the licence soon, for the cop who pulled them over or at a police station somewhere.

What if the driver is at different province from his home? 

If the police want the public to accept the new regulation, the police themselves need to set up a system that officers are unable to take bribe and set up a demerit point system/ record system to better facilitate during police checking. 

People may genuinely forgotten their driving license at home. If the police have a record system, they can do a checking through the system during check point. They able to see how many times has this driver been given warning for not showing license. They can given a One time/ twice chance for not showing a valid license. Then the officer can decide to fine the driver accordingly. Make it clear cut that arguments are not needed. 

And do the necessary steps to prevent police bribing. If the police can ensure a fair system for the public, the public will gradually accept the changes although people will be furious with the harsh fines implemented. 

I think public will respect and follow the strict laws provided the police themselves setting a good example.

Not just one law for the people, another law for themselves. 

When will people who think up these new laws here ever understand!
The people who are supposed to enforce the laws have no intention to do so - their sole intention is to make as much money as they can - period!

I asked a friend of mine who is a policeman why he did join the force - and his answer was very honest - father was a policeman, safe job for life and to make money for himself and to pay his way up by providing payments to his superior officers.
No policeman gets up here in the morning and says - “ today I will go to work and make the roads a safer place “.
I have been watching for years now the police checkpoint across Chiang Mai Ram hospital where they probably make hundreds of thousands of baht every day mostly from tourists - who rent motorbikes without a proper license (only their home license) when it should be the rental shops who in the first place should never be allowed to rent to people with out a driving license valid in Thailand - it should be them who should be held responsible renting out motorbikes to people without a valid license.
A friend of mine was caught drunk driving at 1 o’clock in the morning at a police checkpoint- he was put into one of those police prison vans And he managed to call some friends one of them is a military policeman who came to help and negotiated the fine with the police - at first they wanted 20000 baht and he negotiated them down to 6000 Baht - paid on the spot - no receipt. The amazing thing is he was then handed his car keys and they let him drive home as drunk as he was! Nobody cares about road safety - it’s all about making money.
Any new laws are useless if you can just go and buy a driving license or do one of those ridiculous tests here and get a license the same day.

To get my license in my home country I had to go to driving school for two months and then do a theoretical and practical test which is very tough and at least 30 to 40% fail the tests the first time.

Even if you manage the theoretical test- if the driving instructor feels during the practical test that you are not ready to be out there on the road they will fail you and you have to go back for more driving lessons which is quite costly - charged by the hour.

I insisted that my Thai partner go to driving school before we bought our first new car here in Thailand - all our Thai friends thought it was a waste of time and money.
I had many discussions with the driving instructor - he told me most people here have no idea even about the most basic traffic rules and they just do not want to spend the money to go to a proper driving school as long as it is not compulsory.
Needless to say the driving school closed a year later for the lack of customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The proposed heavier penalties would of course hit underprivileged people worst, and sometimes they do need to drive without a licence.

No they do not. If they need to drive then they need to get a licence. Why is that so difficult to understand? Incredible that a national newspaper would write such nonsense.

""In a fair and efficient society, anyone anywhere should be able to get a driving licence quickly and either free of charge or at minimal cost.""

Is the author for real? The cost and time effort of getting a licence is already rock bottom low. 500 Baht and 1 day and you're done.

Jeez, she should come to Europe and make his licence there. At least 6 months and a whopping 70.000 Baht.

Some people seriously live in bubble called Thailand

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The proposed heavier penalties would of course hit underprivileged people worst, and sometimes they do need to drive without a licence.

No they do not. If they need to drive then they need to get a licence. Why is that so difficult to understand? Incredible that a national newspaper would write such nonsense.

I think us privelidged ones would think differently if we had 100 baht only in our pockets and it was time to update licence.

The bottom line. Government needs to support the poor more. This wont help. How about free licence. Then people can drive and work and survive. Free licence. Everyone must do tests. 

4 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Get the teenage kids and children off the damn motorcycles, and get those damned blasted motorcycles with sidecars off the road too...those rolling living rooms are a menace in themselves... and they carry everything but the kitchen sink.

But those sidecars are often the only means of transport, be it goods or people, for the poor.

"Bribery feeds on the tendency to disregard the law."

Yes that's an excellent line for sure, but with regard to corrupt cops, here, it doesn't matter to them whether you  break the law or not.....they also lie to benefit themselves!

27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

500 baht is two days work.

One day off for getting the license.

Together three day income lost......

3 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

But I am wondering whether there aren't many people thinking, as I do, that 10000 Bahts for being unable to produce, on the spot, the valid license you possess is out of proportion

"No one needs fret if they’ve forgotten their wallet at home and that’s where the licence is. The punishment is unlikely to be applied as long as they can produce the licence soon, for the cop who pulled them over or at a police station somewhere."

Archived