Gunman kills four at video game tournament in Florida

webfact

Gunman kills four at video game tournament in Florida

fl.jpg

There was a mass shooting at a video game tournament that was being streamed online from a restaurant in Jacksonville, Florida, on Sunday, and the local sheriff's office said there were multiple fatalities.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Reuters) - A gunman killed four people and wounded several others on Sunday when he opened fire at a video game tournament that was being streamed online from a restaurant in Jacksonville, Florida, police and local media said.

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said one white male suspect was dead at the scene. He declined to comment on what led to the third major mass shooting to hit Florida in the last two years.

Dozens of ambulances and police cars flooded into The Jacksonville Landing, a waterfront dining, entertainment and shopping site in the city's downtown, after several shots rang out on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

The shooting took place during a regional qualifier for the Madden 19 online game tournament at the GLHF Game Bar inside a Chicago Pizza restaurant, according to the venue's website.

The bar was livestreaming the football video game competition when the gunfire started, according to video of the stream shared on social media. In the video, players can be seen reacting to the shots and cries can be heard before the footage cuts off.

One Twitter user, Drini Gjoka, said he was taking part in the tournament and was shot in the thumb.

"Worst day of my life," Gjoka wrote on Twitter. "I will never take anything for granted ever again. Life can be cut short in a second."

Another gamer, Chris "Dubby" McFarland, was hospitalized after a bullet grazed his head. "I feel fine, just a scratch on my head. Traumatized and devastated," he wrote on Twitter.

The Los Angeles Times said the shooter was a gamer who was competing in the tournament and lost. Citing messages from another player in the room, the Times said the gunman appeared to target several victims before killing himself. Reuters could not immediately confirm that account of events.

The latest rampage occurred amid a debate over U.S. gun laws that was given fresh impetus by the massacre in February of 17 people at a high school in Parkland, Florida.

Two years ago a gunman killed 49 people at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando.

The sheriff's office said many people were transported to hospital, and its deputies found many others hiding in locked areas at The Landing.

Six victims were taken to Jacksonville's UF Health Hospital, five of them in stable condition and one in serious condition, hospital staff said.

A spokesman for Jacksonville's Memorial Hospital said it was treating three victims, all of whom were in stable condition.

Jacksonville, on Florida's Atlantic Coast, is about 35 miles south of the Georgia state line.

Florida Governor Rick Scott, a Republican who is challenging longtime Democratic Senator Bill Nelson in November's election, said he had offered to provide local authorities with any state resources they might need.

"Word of another tragic mass shooting in our state brings shock and outrage," Nelson said on Twitter.

Marco Rubio, U.S. senator from Florida, said both the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were coordinating with local authorities to provide assistance.

President Donald Trump has been briefed and is monitoring the situation in Jacksonville, the White House said.

Reacting to news of the shooting during the tournament involving its game, Madden 19 maker Electronic Arts Inc said it was working with authorities to gather facts.

"This is a horrible situation, and our deepest sympathies go out to all involved," the company said on Twitter.

(Reporting by Suzannah Gonzales, Devika Krishna Kumar and Maria Caspani; Writing by Daniel Wallis; Editing by Chris Reese)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-27

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As these news items roll out quite regularly, it seems the US (and some other developed countries) are deadly places to live in, albeit all the comforts of development.

Could it be that development is mutating the human brain?

10 minutes ago, ravip said:

As these news items roll out quite regularly, it seems the US (and some other developed countries) are deadly places to live in, albeit all the comforts of development.

Could it be that development is mutating the human brain?

This younger generation that grew up with social media and so called smartphones definitely seem to be "losing it" at an alarming rate.

I hate to say it but basically it's "reap what you sow". I believe it's a combination of a gun culture with a huge amount of guns in the hands of the public combined with people losing touch with reality because of social media. It's a combination of many social issues but having guns readily available exacerbates the situation.

Ok, go ahead gun advocates and say how if someone would have had a gun they could have taken the guy out....agreed, but if the gunman didn't gave a gun to start with this wouldn't have happened. I know, I know, second amendment and all.

48 minutes ago, dirtynomad said:

This younger generation that grew up with social media and so called smartphones definitely seem to be "losing it" at an alarming rate.

funny, kids are growing up in lots of different places in the world with social media and not doing this.

I wonder what is the thing that makes the US different that you have so many gun massacres?

I mean, what is the difference here....there's got to be something that sets the US apart from every other civilised country.

Could it be that you haven't adopted the metric system?

2 hours ago, dirtynomad said:

I'm not sure age/generation - other than say over 80, or under 13, is much of a factor?

Stephen Paddock was 64 years old when he shot and killed 58 people while wounding 500+ others.

1 hour ago, ross163103 said:

I hate to say it but basically it's "reap what you sow". I believe it's a combination of a gun culture with a huge amount of guns in the hands of the public combined with people losing touch with reality because of social media. It's a combination of many social issues but having guns readily available exacerbates the situation.

Ok, go ahead gun advocates and say how if someone would have had a gun they could have taken the guy out....agreed, but if the gunman didn't gave a gun to start with this wouldn't have happened. I know, I know, second amendment and all.

Yes, but why is it that the intellectuals in the developed world find it impossible to find a solution for this?

After all, they almost force their intellectual theories to the developing nations...

Certainly terrible thing; but not willing to give up the 2nd amendment, The right to guns has been fought for in every conflict since Freedom from the English, many deaths so a few in Florida isn't really a big deal. More die from ladder falls and slips in the shower than die from these types of incidents. A different culture; yours isn't the only 'correct one' out there.

2 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Certainly terrible thing; but not willing to give up the 2nd amendment, The right to guns has been fought for in every conflict since Freedom from the English, many deaths so a few in Florida isn't really a big deal. More die from ladder falls and slips in the shower than die from these types of incidents. A different culture; yours isn't the only 'correct one' out there.

Same reasoning applies to deaths from terrorists in USA. More people die from ladder falls and slips in shower.

2 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Regardless of the method, it is the mental state of the perpetrators that is the biggest concern and WHAT is creating it? 

Western society seems disfunctional and I am yet to see anyone give me a credible explanation of why? 

The offender was a "gamer" and we are aware that some people are crossing the line between the game and reality, perhaps this is the case here? 

Very sad for the good people who have been traumatised and a dreadful loss to the offenders family who have lost their child and who will bare the shame without understanding why, tragic for all parties, not to mention the first responders picking up the bodies and dealing with the survivors, RIP the victims and Condolences to their families and friends. 

14 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Not sure about the ladder falls or shower slips? I think they're roughly equal, ~ 33,000-ish.

Poisoning (AKA OD) claims more lives, maybe 2X?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm

Two-thirds of all gun deaths are suicides, so ~ 22,000, so a bit of a public health problem, maybe? But this does reduce the number of gun owners through attrition, I guess?

gun-deaths-in-2017-graph-reality-check.jpg.d7ba6bf737d26831adee333dbb39d74f.jpg

Let me predict:

- thoughts and prayers

- too early to talk about gun- control

- do not politicize

- 2nd amendment is untouchable

- if only everybody would have been armed and/ or there would have been tighter security measures

- it was a lone wolf with mental health issues

- blah blah blah more guns for everybody

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I think the families of those murdered and wounded in Florida might think this shooting is a big deal. 

This is the 25th mass shooting incident in the US to date this August (source)! These events are so common there now that most of them aren't reported other than on the local news.

Of course, gun crime occurs everywhere; but in any other first world country mass shootings are so rare that they make national, even international headlines.

What's the difference between the US and the other countries? The answer is obvious to all except those who value their 2nd amendment rights more than the lives of innocents.

The 2nd amendment was introduced in a different age. Times have changed and it is  is now a threat to innocent Americans rather than a protection.

How many more children have to die before Americans realise this?

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

This is the 25th mass shooting incident in the US to date this August (source)! These events are so common there now that most of them aren't reported other than on the local news.

Of course, gun crime occurs everywhere; but in any other first world country mass shootings are so rare that they make national, even international headlines.

What's the difference between the US and the other countries? The answer is obvious to all except those who value their 2nd amendment rights more than the lives of innocents.

The 2nd amendment was introduced in a different age. Times have changed and it is  is now a threat to innocent Americans rather than a protection.

How many more children have to die before Americans realise this?

The 2nd amendment nutters see more guns as a solution rather than a problem so the answer to your question is that there is no upper limit.

26 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

How many more children have to die before Americans realise this? Criminals will never give up their weapons. Not is a Million years! Look at Chicago for instance. The City has the toughest gun laws in US. It is also Murder Central. How can you explain that? What are your ideas to make the City safer? I believe in Gun Control myself. To me it's a steady aim.

So your idea about gun control is what? 

Criminals will never give up their weapons. Not is a Million years! Look at Chicago for instance. The City has the toughest gun laws in US. It is also Murder Central. How can you explain that? What are your ideas to make the City safer? I believe in Gun Control myself. To me it's a steady aim.

Archived