Hypertensive crisis i Thailand (+180/120)

kaffeburk

I was hospitalized a few years ago with blood pressure over 220 in systolic for 10+ hours. The treatment was basically none. I know the risks involved and what the proper treatment should be (blood pressure medicine with short halflife within minutes). I had symtoms of seizure during this time but no checkup if i really had a seizure. To my surprise a friend of mine had the same experience and we are both well covered by insurance. Myself I hade a hard time a few years after this, but is now better. My friend has just got a seizure, 4 years after this "treatment" witch is nor surprising. Blod pressure this high opens the blood/brain barrier and small particles  in the blood can enter the brain and cause horrible effects.

So my question is, any one else have this experience or heard of it?

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

No.  Improper/inadequate medical care, from the sound of it.

Yes but why? To destroy our brains, shorten our lives to cash in insurance money? Seizure treatment is very god business for a hospital. Just on my "accident" they made more than 200 000 baht. If they had treated my hypertensive crisis properly they would not make that money. If i had a more serous seizure they could have made miljons of baht.

I have had very high bp before after week long benders but other than anxiety and feeling hungover, I did not have any symptoms and would have had no idea my bp was so high did I not have a monitor at home.

Anyway, I researched and found this article which put my mind at rest to some extent.  It suggests in the absence of any other symptoms, the best treatment can actually be nothing.

http://epmonthly.com/article/dont-let-hypertension-stress/

Edit:  I know this isn't really relevant in your case but thought it might be of interest to some people.

5 hours ago, randymarsh said:

I have had very high bp before after week long benders but other than anxiety and feeling hungover, I did not have any symptoms and would have had no idea my bp was so high did I not have a monitor at home.

Anyway, I researched and found this article which put my mind at rest to some extent.  It suggests in the absence of any other symptoms, the best treatment can actually be nothing.

http://epmonthly.com/article/dont-let-hypertension-stress/

Edit:  I know this isn't really relevant in your case but thought it might be of interest to some people.

I don't think its possible for any doctor to not know about how to handle a hypertensive crisis. Its very, very basic and no you cant live with hypertensive crisis more than a few hours. The damage to the organs is top severe. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/hypertensive-crisis/faq-20058491

Archived