Re-entry after visit to Malaysia

I need to leave the country briefly, because I'm currently on overstay on my expired work visa and need more time to find a good solution going forward. I want to re-enter on a tourist visa and take a lot more charge of the process myself this time, so I can hopefully avoid these unprofessional clowns that inform you when it's too late.

Is there any chance that I could be denied re-entry if I go to Kuala Lumpur for a weekend, considering that my passport is almost completely full (just one blank page in the middle), and I have been in Thailand for the past couple of years on a work visa.

You're responsible for your overstay, you have to be fully aware about your permission to stay date stamped on your passport, cannot blame anyone else. You don't say how long you've been on overstay, that makes a huge difference.

Yes, you could have problems flying back to Bangkok on a TV after just 2 days in KL with a full passport (of non B visas). I'd come back by land through Pedang Besar, have the 20k or equivalent. Then fly from Hat Yai.

I'm only on a single day overstay at the moment. The work visa I'm referring to I believe is called Non-B. It's tied to my work permit (real company with customers and all), which is why I refer to it as a work visa.

I'm fully aware that I'm ultimately responsible for knowing the dates, but I still expect an agent hired to assist in this matter to be aware of the dates, but that's really besides the point here. I acknowledge that I need to take better care going forward, and I'm simply weighing my options at this point. One option is to return to Thailand with a tourist visa, which will buy me a bit of time to get things sorted without having to pay for overstay (and being here illegally).

I am under the impression that entering via land only gives me a 15 day tourist visa. Am I incorrect about that? I'm much closer to the Cambodian border than Malaysia, so if I can get 30 days just by taking a trip to Cambodia, I would certainly prefer that option.

Also, am I likely to run into issues when the blank page in my passport is not at the back of the passport but in the middle of it?

Edited by plop243

As far I know you will need at least 2 blank pages, and just having left on a overstay + a full passport will most likely cause you trouble. You should have left to only come back with a new passport and visa.

Also; if coming back to TH from Cambodia, it will only increase your chance on trouble.

Edited by ReneTH

Just now, ReneTH said:

As far I know you will need at least 2 blank pages, and just having left on a overstay + a full passport will most likely cause you trouble. You should have left to only come back with a new passport and visa.

That's a bit late now. I was planning to get a new passport from my embassy this week, but that plan has been spoiled due to this issue. Am I basically super screwed or what? I don't currently have the budget to visit my home country and wait for a new passport to be issued.

2 minutes ago, ReneTH said:

Also; if coming back to TH from Cambodia, it will only increase your chance on trouble.

So Cambodia is seen as bad, but Malaysia less so or what? I have been in Malaysia before (with re-entry stamp for my Non-B) and had no trouble at all, but this is a different scenario I guess?

Just now, ReneTH said:

You might be lucky, you might not. Pretty much stupid to both overstay and have only 1 page left in your passport to then come back from a country like Cambodia.

I hear you. Thanks for your input!

6 minutes ago, plop243 said:

I'm only on a single day overstay at the moment. The work visa I'm referring to I believe is called Non-B. It's tied to my work permit (real company with customers and all), which is why I refer to it as a work visa.

I think you have a extension of stay issued by immigration.

One day of overstay is not a big problem. If the paperwork was ready immigration would accept the application after paying the overstay fine with a short overstay.

8 minutes ago, plop243 said:

I am under the impression that entering via land only gives me a 15 day tourist visa. Am I incorrect about that? I'm much closer to the Cambodian border than Malaysia, so if I can get 30 days just by taking a trip to Cambodia, I would certainly prefer that option.

You would get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a land border crossing that can be extended for 30 days.

You would do it at a crossing to Cambodia but avoid the Poi Pet crossing. From Bangkok the Ban Laem crossing is good one. No problem with a short overstay.

You will need a empty page for the Cambodia visa on arrival. I assume you have enough partial pages for the entry and departure stamps.

Fly to KL, dont need visa, just small stamp on your passport. Come back via Pedang Basar, get 30 days visa exempt entry (if you dont have already two this calendar year), apply for new passport asap. One page should be enough for this, just 2 small stamps plus one for exit Thailand. I'm not 100% sure anyway if Immigration (thai and malesian) can make problems because of full passport. But you should be fine. Have 20k baht, ticket out and accomodation just in case.

UJ will tell you what's the best to do.

6 minutes ago, plop243 said:

I'm in Chanthaburi. I think the closest crossing to Cambodia is the one at Phsar Prum (not 100% sure). Would that one be okay?

I do have at least one blank page and some partial ones.

That crossing is OK.

You could also go to the crossing in Trat at Hat Lek.that accepts the Cambodia e-visa which would save a page in your passport. See: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That crossing is OK.

You could also go to the crossing in Trat at Hat Lek. That accepts the Cambodia e-visa there which would save a page in your passport. See: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

Thanks a lot for that information! I will consider my options and make a decision tomorrow. I could still pay the guy who was supposed to help me to do the paperwork and just get it done without leaving the country, but I'm a little reluctant to pay him the THB 45,000 he is asking to renew my work permit and visa, after he dropped the ball in the first place (and yes, it's ultimately my own responsibility but still).