Jump to content

Godzilla mosquito repellent banned after death of puppies


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

Godzilla mosquito repellent banned after death of puppies

By Somjit Rungjamratrassamee

The Nation

 

ba43787a0b8b983ce7842265228f9ef9.jpeg

 

Thai authorities warned the public on Monday against Godzilla, a mosquito repellent brand imported from Myanmar, following reports that three puppies had died after inhaling its fumes.

 

A team of health officials led by the district chief raided the Pa Charoen market in Tak’s Mae Sot district and seized a total of 75 boxes of the repellent.

 

The items were seized on grounds that the Food and Drug Association (FDA) had not certified the product.

 

Mae Sot district chief Chaiyaprukti Chienthanarak said the raid’s aim was to hunt down the source of the brand after learning that it was dangerous for humans and animals. 

 

The seized repellent, sold in coil form, will be handed over to health authorities for further examination. 

 

Though officials did not find the repellent at the district’s Rim Moei market, he said, shop owners have been warned against selling this brand. Officials will hold random checks from time to time, he added. 

 

The brand is reportedly popular among Myanmar migrant workers, and is sold in Bangkok’s Suksawat Market for Bt25 per box. The brand was also found to be popular in Samut Sakhon province, where there is a large community of Myanmar workers.

 

Pakapun Inlee, 46, from Nakhon Pathom’s Sam Phran district, said the product was sold out in her area so she had come to Samut Sakhon to buy it. She added that though the product made her dizzy, she continued using it because it was good at chasing mosquitoes away. However, the authorities should step in if it is found to be unsafe, she added. 

 

Sorapong Homcham, 45, said this brand had been recommended by his younger brother, and though it was not certified by the FDA, he continued using it because it kept his home mosquito-free. 

 

He also confessed to Thai Rath online that about a year ago his three puppies had died from inhaling the fumes, adding that his family members have been advising everybody to not light the coils indoors or near people or pets. 

 

The Godzilla brand has become so popular that a copy, Godzilna, has hit the markets. 

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353070

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-27
Link to post
Share on other sites

'Pakapun Inlee ... added that though the product made her dizzy, she continued using it because it was good at chasing mosquitoes away. 

 

Sorapong Homcham ... confessed to Thai Rath online that about a year ago his three puppies had died from inhaling the fumes ...'

 

The mind boggles. Thai IQ at its best.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He also confessed to Thai Rath online that about a year ago his three puppies had died from inhaling the fumes, adding that his family members have been advising everybody to not light the coils indoors or near people or pets. 

Soooo, it has been used, uncontrolled and unapproved, for a year, even though one family's members have been advising everybody not to light them.

 

I wonder what has now made them leap into action and ban the product?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Read this some time ago about mosquito coils. Quite a good read

According to one 2007 study in Taiwan published in the Journal of Epidemiology, ‘burning one mosquito coil releases the same amount of particulate matter (PM2.5) as burning 75-137 cigarettes, while the emission of formaldehyde from burning one coil can be as high as that released from burning 51 cigarettes.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...