Changing reason of extension from Thai wife to retirement

I am due to renew my annual Thai wife extension which expires mid September, however this year I plan to change the reason for extension to one of retirement as I am now of the required age.

My immigration office is Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok and I usually renew my extension 2 weeks prior to expiry of my current Thai wife extension.

I have read that if you change the reason for the extension, e.g. from Thai wife to Retirement, the new extension will start from the date on which it was applied for - not from the expiry date of the current extension.

Could anyone with experience clarify if this is the case or will my new extension based on retirement be granted from the current expiry date of my current Thai wife extension which is mid September ?

Thank you in advance !

Edited by Ajooma

1 hour ago, Ajooma said:

Could anyone with experience clarify if this is the case or will my new extension based on retirement be granted from the current expiry date of my current Thai wife extension which is mid September ?

I doubt there is a definitive answer. The IO could do either.

As the change isn't a required change I wouldn't be surprised if they issue the new extension to start from when your current permission to stay ends.

Were you just divorced they would cancel your existing extension and apply the retirement extension from the day you applied.

20 minutes ago, elviajero said:

As the change isn't a required change I wouldn't be surprised if they issue the new extension to start from when your current permission to stay ends.

There have been many reports of the extension starting from the date when the application for a different reason than the extension was done. That is going from marriage to retirement and vice versa.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been many reports of the extension starting from the date when the application for a different reason than the extension was done. That is going from marriage to retirement and vice versa.

He is not changing the reason for his current extension, but applying for a new extension. As I wrote, they could do it either way.

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

He is not changing the reason for his current extension, but applying for a new extension.

That is not what he wrote in the OP.

1 hour ago, Ajooma said:

I am due to renew my annual Thai wife extension which expires mid September, however this year I plan to change the reason for extension to one of retirement as I am now of the required age.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not what he wrote in the OP.

He is within the 30 day window to apply for the next extension, therefore, he will not be changing the reason for the current extension.

If he asked to change to retirement, with no good reason, with 6 months to go they would not do it and tell him to wait until the end of the year. If he got divorced, with 6 months to go, they would cancel the current extension and start an new one on the day he applied.

As he's within the 30 day window, it could go either way, but I expect they will start the new extension from the end of the current.

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

He is within the 30 day window to apply for the next extension, therefore, he will not be changing the reason for the current extension.

Sorry but to me applying for an extension based upon retirement while his current is extension is one based upon marriage is changing the reason for the extension.

Immigration often will cancel the current extension and start the new on the date of application. There was recently a post by a member complains about them doing that.

when changing of use of the extension from marriage to retirement is applied for, the new extension , if successful , will be commenced from the date of application  

Even if there were 6 months or more remaining on the marriage extension the applicant would lose that time by changing

Many are willing to make the change that early due to divorce, threats from estranged wifes to inform immigration of separation, demands for money to appear and gladly accept the loss of time to get out from under the soon to be ex wifes influence over the applicants future in Thailand

I have never known one to be allowed to begin from existing expiry date on another type of extension

16 hours ago, Ajooma said:

Could anyone with experience clarify

I have experienced this 3 years ago at CW. I did it (wife to retirement) for convenience and still happily married. The IO started the changed reason extension from the date I applied which was about 5 weeks before the existing was due to expire.

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

I have experienced this 3 years ago at CW. I did it (wife to retirement) for convenience and still happily married. The IO started the changed reason extension from the date I applied which was about 5 weeks before the existing was due to expire.

Thank you !

• 2 months later...

As an update to this thread my existing Thai wife extension was converted to a retirement extension and I was then granted my new retirement extension for the period of 1 year starting from my application date.

This was all completed as one process on the same day.