Give your opinion in the great driving license debate! DLT wants to know

webfact

Give your opinion in the great driving license debate! DLT wants to know

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai media reported that the Department of Land Transport are appealing to the public to give their opinion on controversial plans to jail and heavily fine drivers who don't have a licence.

Chief of the DLT Sanit Phromwong told Daily News that twice as many accidents were caused by people without licences as people who do have them.

There are thought to be 10 million without - 8 million bike riders and 2 million car drivers.

From now until September 11th the public can have their say.

The following link will take you there: click HERE

The first page is a general statement about the importance of following rules and suchlike adding that all opinions are valid.

If you agree with this click the first "tickbox".

You will then be directed to the comment section that you can then submit to the DLT.

You can also contact the DLT via email:

[email protected]

or call 1584.

No mention was made in the Daily News story that foreigners were being asked their opinion but we at Thaivisa thought, why not offer it all the same?

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-29

What a brilliant idea? Not! Ask 10 million people without licenses if they think huge fines for not having them are a good idea.

What answer are they expecting I wonder? More stupidity.

They should just enforce the bloody road rules that they have, across the board, and then they might see some improvements.

Asking Thais who don't follow rules for their opinion is a complete waste of time.

If they want to know how to get everyone to get a license, they just need to confiscate the vehicle of every person found not having one and don't release it until that person produces a valid license. No one else. People without their vehicle will get one quickly and others will stop lending their vehicles to unlicensed drivers.

Then all you have to deal with is the lunacy of the way they all drive, with or without licenses.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

What a brilliant idea? Not! Ask 10 million people without licenses if they think huge fines for not having them are a good idea.

They should just enforce the bloody road rules that they have, across the board, and then they might see some improvements.

Asking Thais who don't follow rules for their opinion is a complete waste of time.

To put it another way, I expect (probably naively) that the people in government are intelligent and worldly enough to make appropriate broad based policies and decisions to build and maintain a civil society, and get on with it. 

Up to you, DLT!

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

To put it another way, I expect (probably naively) that the people in government are intelligent and worldly enough to make appropriate broad based policies and decisions to build and maintain a civil society, and get on with it. 

Intelligent and worldly. That's funny! For most of the population, the world starts at Mae Sot and finishes at Mukdaharn

As long as you can still buy a license without actually learning how to drive, the license itself is useless.

My recommendations for the government is to offer free education to everyone who wants to drive a car or ride a motobike, and they all HAVE to attend the classes or they will not get a license. If not free maybe pay 30 baht like in government hospitals

Its the only way to reduce accidents on the roads. Yes it will cost a lot of money, but will be worth it.

A license is one method by which the mass of road users can be control and penalized... it would help IF there existed reliable methods of control and penalization..i.e. reliable Policing - but there isn't, thus the license system fails. 

When combined with the pure farce of obtaining a license like many things here in Thailand the ideology is sound, the execution is fundamentally flawed and completely misses the initial objective. 

The only singular reason Thai roads are not worse is that the majority or people here and its road users are actually decent human beings who are considerate of others and do follow the regulations (to some degree). 

Who cares if it's

insurance, tax, licence, crash hat, state of vehicle, 3 up on a bike

20 in the back of the pick up, driving the wrong way up the road,  crashing red lights,  speeding, drunk driving.

Just keep hitting them with large fines , day in day out.

its the only thing they understand, Money, Money, Money.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who cares who gets the money, i don't,   just keep smacking the bad Somchais.

until you get there attention, then start with the other stuff to correct the bad driving / riding behaviour / attitude.

Get the big stick on them now.

And who cares if a few people Thai or Falang, get stuffed over.  Big Deal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Behave yourself on the roads , keep your vehicle in good shape , have correct paper work. and nearly all,  will have no problems.

Bad Somchais out,  Good somchais in. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

If they want to know how to get everyone to get a license, they just need to confiscate the vehicle of every person found not having one and don't release it until that person produces a valid license. No one else. People without their vehicle will get one quickly and others will stop lending their vehicles to unlicensed drivers.

Then all you have to deal with is the lunacy of the way they all drive, with or without licenses.

And where do the put 8 million bikes and 2 million cars?

59 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Who cares if it's

insurance, tax, licence, crash hat, state of vehicle, 3 up on a bike

20 in the back of the pick up, driving the wrong way up the road,  crashing red lights,  speeding, drunk driving.

Just keep hitting them with large fines , day in day out.

its the only thing they understand, Money, Money, Money.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who cares who gets the money, i don't,   just keep smacking the bad Somchais.

until you get there attention, then start with the other stuff to correct the bad driving / riding behaviour / attitude.

Get the big stick on them now.

And who cares if a few people Thai or Falang, get stuffed over.  Big Deal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Behave yourself on the roads , keep your vehicle in good shape , have correct paper work. and nearly all,  will have no problems.

Bad Somchais out,  Good somchais in. :thumbsup:

Plus many folks are their own worst enemy.

Several mini vans stop at the gate of my Bkk based university every morning, 99% students, all from a location 30K outside of Bkk, the only transport option to get to uni (or so they say), unless you have your own car, dad drives you etc.

The point; usually around 18 students get out of each mini van, packed in like sardines, some squashed into the seats, some sitting on the floor between the sitters and those who stand up the whole journey.

And they share that the drivers are crazy, drive way too fast, weave in and out of the traffic, talk on their phone / play games on their phone most of the trip, some smoking cigarettes with all the windows up. 

I've asked many times / other students have asked many times, why don't you complain.

Cannot; not polite to complain, frightened of the mini van owner and the drivers, and no other options.

The location involved is at the end of one of the new train routes, scheduled to be operational in 2021, but if fares are comparable with other train fares way too expensive, mini van trip to continue.

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

Up to you, DLT!

Intelligent and worldly. That's funny! For most of the population, the world starts at Mae Sot and finishes at Mukdaharn

Yep, my Thai sons' 48 year old brother in law is adamant that Germany is the first country North of Thailand. 

And he's adamant that Singaporeans can't speak Chinese, not possible only people in China speak Chinese. 

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus many folks are their own worst enemy.

Several mini vans stop at the gate of my Bkk based university every morning, 99% students, all from a location 30K outside of Bkk, the only transport option to get to uni (or so they say), unless you have your own car, dad drives you etc.

The point; usually around 18 students get out of each mini van, packed in like sardines, some squashed into the seats, some sitting on the floor between the sitters and those who stand up the whole journey.

And they share that the drivers are crazy, drive way too fast, weave in and out of the traffic, talk on their phone / play games on their phone most of the trip, some smoking cigarettes with all the windows up. 

I've asked many times / other students have asked many times, why don't you complain.

Cannot; not polite to complain, frightened of the mini van owner and the drivers, and no other options.

The location involved is at the end of one of the new train routes, scheduled to be operational in 2021, but if fares are comparable with other train fares way too expensive, mini van trip to continue.

Get the 18 students to put in 10k baht each. Buy their own old second hand bus.Safe Pimp the ride. All sorted.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

As I have said before, what about the 10's of 1000's of kids going to school on motorbikes and not even old enough!! Nothing serious will change ever here!

13 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Get the 18 students to put in 10k baht each. Buy their own old second hand bus.Safe Pimp the ride. All sorted.

Ten thousand Baht, ninety % of them come from families who borrow and whatever to get their course fees together every semester, and some pay in instalments (often late) per month.

3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Will having a licence improve the driving habits,and reduce the road toll ?

NO.

So why bother,driving test is pathetic.

It may be pathetic by western standards but both the wife (car) and daughter (bike) were failed on their first practical  test so it certainly made them think.

Is my wife a "good" driver, by Thai standards,yes, as she is a safe driver. By my standards, it is best not to answer.

2 hours ago, tracker1 said:

To late ! the Minister of Everything Mr P has squashed the idea prior to any election that may happen by Bringing Hopelesness back to the People ! Dam spell check spelt Happiness wrong again !

It may be called populism.

Could have been a shin idea.

On the other hand, it may be the ultimate sign of democracy, something like the people spoke.

Who knows....

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Ten thousand Baht, ninety % of them come from families who borrow and whatever to get their course fees together every semester, and some pay in instalments (often late) per month.

Do the math.  it is actually cheaper for them to do it my way.

5 hours ago, stud858 said:

Only way forward is to allow the Norwegians in to setup systems and train staff across many departments of infrasructure.

When in trouble ask for help, but you must be careful who you ask.

If I wanted to live in Norway I would have emigrated there !!!

I chose to live here and put up with the down sides to life.... my choice to move-in!

It's like the rich "townie" buying a weekend place in the countryside, then complaining  "there's nothing to do"

lets build build build and turn it into a town !!!!

If you don't like it don't come & bugger off back to where you came from if it was so good !!

5 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

This is the only thing that will work

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There mad

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

It may be pathetic by western standards but both the wife (car) and daughter (bike) were failed on their first practical  test so it certainly made them think.

Is my wife a "good" driver, by Thai standards,yes, as she is a safe driver. By my standards, it is best not to answer.

Failed !! Hahaha... You're wife must have got in the back seat of the car and your daughter sat on the bike backwards ? How can you fail the Thai driving "test"....

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Next week's idea: Asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.

Archived