Jump to content

CPU upgrade worth it?


NanLaew

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you're scrounging the used stuff, you may find a deal on one of the other CPU's compatible with the socket you have...

 

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/socketType.html#id2

 

I haven't a clue whether it will improve your overall performance, but FWIW.

 

 

cpu.jpg

 

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7H55M_PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

The HDD can be reconnected as a storage drive afterwards and any necessary data can be transferred to the SSD Boot drive.

Once all data has been moved over, one can format the drive and use it as internal storage.

 

 

Often, but not always, adding two drives with a Windows OS loaded will cause a boot failure. Just making a note of it here in case the OP finds that issue and is stumped to understand why.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Often, but not always, adding two drives with a Windows OS loaded will cause a boot failure. Just making a note of it here in case the OP finds that issue and is stumped to understand why.

 

 

Not if the correct drive is set as the first to Boot. It should never happen. Certainly not often. 

I think that you are confusing BIOS with UEFI and the installation of two Windows OS, rather than an existing OS on a secondary drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

 

 

I think that you are confusing BIOS with UEFI and the installation of two Windows OS, rather than an existing OS on a secondary drive.

UEFI is a next gen BIOS and I referred to the term BIOS in my post for both interfaces. Microsoft refer to UEFI as a BIOS variant and so do I. It can be seen in MSinfo32 summary in all varieties of Windows that use that applet.

 

The fact is the issue is real and may cause new players grief. I've seen a few old hands stumped for a short while by it in the past. That is why I mentioned it. I wanted to minimise the chance of the issue happening to the OP or anyone else considering the process.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

UEFI is a next gen BIOS and I referred to the term BIOS in my post for both interfaces. Microsoft refer to UEFI as a BIOS variant and so do I. It can be seen in MSinfo32 summary in all varieties of Windows that use that applet.

 

The fact is the issue is real and may cause new players grief. I've seen a few old hands stumped for a short while by it in the past. That is why I mentioned it. I wanted to minimise the chance of the issue happening to the OP or anyone else considering the process.

 

 

 

You have missed the point completely, getting yourself involved in semantics.

My point is that they behave differently. It won't happen under the circumstances I have described. It can happen when using the UEFI.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Often, but not always, adding two drives with a Windows OS loaded will cause a boot failure. Just making a note of it here in case the OP finds that issue and is stumped to understand why.

 

I will clone the current os and recovery partitions to the new SSD via an external USB/SATA connection and after installing the SSD while leaving the original HD in place, make sure the BIOS boot sequence is correct then the os will reassign the correct drive numbers. Same as I did with my other upgrade a couple of months ago.

 

Done this cloning/HD upgrade malarkey dozens of times over the years. Earlier cloning and disk management utilities like paragon and acronis that did require physical HD disconnection/reconnection between boot cycles were fraught with the possibility of being 'stumped' if one didn't pay close attention to their sometimes ambiguous DOS screen instructions.

 

I have been using EaseUS's suite of disk management programs for cloning, partition resizing and the like for about 5 years now and it takes the guesswork and  'stumping' out of the equation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

 

You have missed the point completely, getting yourself involved in semantics.

My point is that they behave differently. It won't happen under the circumstances I have described. It can happen when using the UEFI.

I never doubted they worked differently. You clearly misunderstood my original post where I stated " Often, but not always, adding two drives with a Windows OS loaded will cause a boot failure. " You then assumed (semantics) I didn't know what I was talking about.

 

If you want to get into symantics, I think you mentioned in an earlier post that the DDR5 ram in the graphics card you linked to is better than the DDR3 of older cards. Shame there is only a 64 bit channel on the card which basically nulifies the throughput of the memory anyway. Care to counter?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

 

I have been using EaseUS's suite of disk management programs for cloning, partition resizing and the like for about 5 years now and it takes the guesswork and  'stumping' out of the equation.

Good it is working for you. I hope your chosen updates work out for you as you intend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the CPU upgrade for $50 is worth it.

Yes increasing the RAM to 8GB is worth it.

Yes upgrading the GPU is worth it.

I concur w/ Farangwithaplan as I have experienced this far more often than not.

Be it common BIOS or UEFI.

The reason,

the HDD's both have the same Disk ID

there are 2 Active 'Boot' Primary Partitions.

Yes, the BIOS only hands off to the OS which knows where it 'should' load from.

One can only have one Active 'Boot' Primary Partition

and a max of 4 Primary Partitions but only one Active 'Boot'.

In the past, since Vista, I used Diskpart to change Disk ID and Active 'Boot' Primary Partition.

Not for a newbie.

 

Five months ago did a 'switch to a SSD' for my neighbor,

both Macirum Reflect and Acronis failed upon boot.

The SSD was a Samsung EVO.

Using their software for the clone worked perfect.

It made all the necessary changes, and partition resizing.

Very very fast. Brain dead easy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2018 at 9:16 PM, KneeDeep said:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Cards/GT7302GD5BRK/ is even better if you can find one within budget.

Even if not gaming, good for Adobe PhotoShop, video conversion etc

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-GT730-NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-730-2GB-Graphics-Card/173510672545

 

Recommendations appreciated. I much prefer the fan-less GPU's since no matter what brand name is on the box, the cheap fans they use typically go tits-up within a couple of years. I already have about half-a-dozen spare fans for low-profile GPU's either scavenged from dud boards or bought at geek malls and none of them seem to have a common connector, fan size or mounting screw pitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been some petty bickering between two party's with a number of posts removed.

If this continues one or both are bound to be issued a posting suspension.

 

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

 

Please do not respond to insults with more insults but rather use the report button to report inflammatory posts

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2018 at 8:51 PM, howto said:

Yes the CPU upgrade for $50 is worth it.

Yes increasing the RAM to 8GB is worth it.

Yes upgrading the GPU is worth it.

I concur w/ Farangwithaplan as I have experienced this far more often than not.

Be it common BIOS or UEFI.

The reason,

the HDD's both have the same Disk ID

there are 2 Active 'Boot' Primary Partitions.

Yes, the BIOS only hands off to the OS which knows where it 'should' load from.

One can only have one Active 'Boot' Primary Partition

and a max of 4 Primary Partitions but only one Active 'Boot'.

In the past, since Vista, I used Diskpart to change Disk ID and Active 'Boot' Primary Partition.

Not for a newbie.

 

Five months ago did a 'switch to a SSD' for my neighbor,

both Macirum Reflect and Acronis failed upon boot.

The SSD was a Samsung EVO.

Using their software for the clone worked perfect.

It made all the necessary changes, and partition resizing.

Very very fast. Brain dead easy.

 

Should have mentioned the new clone did work w/ both Macirum Reflect and Acronis

IF the source disk was removed from the system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, a SSD should double the PC's speed. More RAM helps, but have you checked prices? Or try buying some used... Am shocked at recent prices for older RAM.

 

CPU & mainboard? I wouldn't touch those.

 

Uninstall whatever you don't need and reduce junk in the "start-up" menu. You won't go shopping with the kitchen sink either, will you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...