Advice from Long Experienced Expat needed

madusa

2 hours ago, madusa said:

Much obliged for your reply to my questions very kind of you. You mentioned things that I haven't taken into account and that really makes me think hard.

I guess I just stay home and pay another short 3 weeks visit to Bangkok or Chiang Mai. Just too much hassle. I must say "Thailand a Paradise that never was".

Wise decision, but, you are still going to get dozens of comments that are now irrelevant. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

You seem naive re. the amount of time and labor it takes to grow enough veggies for most of your food -- especially in the bug-infested tropics.

Have you even been to Thailand before? If not, slow down and stop planning so far into the future. Come to Thailand initially as a tourist and then determine if you actually want to be an expat living full time in Thailand. 

You are right HerbalEd when you say "naive". Because men usually become naive when they reach around 60s.(that's my figure). Otherwise how do all the women in Thailand rip them off.

I come to the conclusion it is better for me to visit Thailand about once or twice a year (for 3 weeks each time). And stick to my present home and part-time job to be on the safe side.

"Thailand a Paradise that never was" - all farangs should keep this in mind.

11 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I have had business here, lived here been married over 20 years ,we have a son etc,i think i know Thailand fairly well,i think you are living the dream ,oh sorry living IN a dream. I know i sound harsh but as a newbie coming here it can be a harsh land. But all the best.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are right ivor bigun. Thanks for your comment. I have given up the idea because everything boils down to maths. Just not going to be something to attempt with limited fund.. "Thailand -a country where visitors usually create their illusions within conducive environment that finally collapse in time to reveal the harsh reality not perceived earlier"

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, madusa said:

Because men usually become naive when they reach around 60s.(that's my figure). Otherwise how do all the women in Thailand rip them off.

I come to the conclusion it is better for me to visit Thailand about once or twice a year (for 3 weeks each time). And stick to my present home and part-time job to be on the safe side.

Thailand is certainly a Paradise that is, and not all men getting close to 60 are ripped off by Thai ladies – it's all depending of what one expect, plan, and dream – and yes, some of us that lives here, are living like in a dream, for me almost exactly the dream I had before I moved permanently to LoS.

Don't give up on your dream, but your wise decision about visting Thailand a number of times before living in the dream makes sense – I did the same – and do yourself a favor to explore some different part of Thailand during each visit, there might be other areas of interest than Ayutthaya and Bangkok, or you might be confirmed in that they are the best places for you.

However, one important thing to live the dream, is to have some level of savings first, combined with some kind of persistent income, which can be from retirement pension, or dividend from savings, or both; the amount relative to the life-style one wish, or one can afford.

?

9 hours ago, cleverman said:

He said the cost of renting renting a house, I replied what the cost can be, Renting a house. You have apprehension problems. 

Actually you replied with the cost of renting 27 sq.m. :

“27 sq m Pattaya, 7/10 K. A month”

27 sq.m. is not a house, it’s a shoebox. So perhaps you have a comprehension problem ?

• Like 1

OP, in your first post you mentioned something about studying Buddhism. So just as another option have you thought about perhaps staying at one of the forest wats around Ubon, or elsewhere in the country ? It would need more research but your no alcohol, no smoking requirements would be met, I imagine being vegetarian would be no problem. Needing WiFi might be though ? Just a thought......

I grow organic vegetables, and yes it is hard. Pests and diseases make some crops difficult to grow without chemicals. Stick to things like cabbage, lettuce, beans, maize, okra, tomatoes and Aubergines. I have had some success with carrots as well. Courgettes, cucumbers and watermelons can be difficult without chemicals. Finally. the weeds .....

It takes a fair bit of experimentation to find what will grow at a particular place. Also seasons different, most is grown in winter.

19 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

AirBnB might be an option. Higher value rent and more considerate renters. Seriously doubt you'd get any hassle. They're your guests, just sharing your household expences. 

Yes, but still a bit problematic. Would be seen as working and this has appeared on my latest confirmation from Airbnb.

Property owners hosting foreign guests in a private property are required under the Section 38 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) to notify the Immigration Bureau, Royal Thai Police or the local immigration offices. The notification form, called Form TorMor. 30, is available here.

On 30 August 2018 at 6:50 PM, Brunolem said:

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "1 year visitor visa".

Be careful and make sure that you apply yourself for the visa at the Thai embassy.

I visit Thailand for a year, I get immigration document allowing that. We all know the proper name for that document. 

On 31 August 2018 at 3:42 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

AirBnB might be an option. Higher value rent and more considerate renters. Seriously doubt you'd get any hassle. They're your guests, just sharing your household expences. 

Pass Go, do not collect $200, go direct to jail. ABB illegal.

On 31 August 2018 at 11:32 AM, madusa said:

You are right HerbalEd when you say "naive". Because men usually become naive when they reach around 60s.(that's my figure). Otherwise how do all the women in Thailand rip them off.

He said he has changed his mind about coming now.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:02 AM, madusa said:

Can't agree,

Naive, is a young man thinking he's buying himself a house. As most of us learned back in the west, it's always her house.

Stupid, is repeating the same action in Thailand, and expecting the outcome to be different.

I was 'naive' in the UK age 23, so far I've managed to avoid 'stupid' in Thailand. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't agree,

Naive, is a young man thinking he's buying himself a house. As most of us learned back in the west, it's always her house.

Stupid, is repeating the same action in Thailand, and expecting the outcome to be different.

I was 'naive' in the UK age 23, so far I've managed to avoid 'stupid' in Thailand. 

Word... experienced opinion...

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Can't agree,

Before anything else, BritMan, the young lady in santa claus outfit looks really cute.

Thailand gives you the illusion that you can get a new life from the old boring one in your own home country. So being naive you fell for it. Just standing in the bar talking to the bar girls makes you look stupid however you are not aware of it of course. There are girls or women you could talk to and find yourself a partner without looking stupid.

5 minutes ago, madusa said:

Thailand gives you the illusion that you can get a new life from the old boring one in your own home country.

Just standing in the bar talking to the bar girls makes you look stupid however you are not aware of it of course.

I've managed to reproduce while in Thailand. New life achieved!

Haven't been in a Thai bar so far this year, the women visit me at my home.

It's what smartphones are for.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1