Visa options for unmarried dependent partner

I've got myself a job in Thailand and have the necessary letter from my employer and Labour Ministry to apply for a B non-immigrant visa. The London embassy will only give a single entry, not multiple - but I can get an extension of stay and re-entry permit once in Thailand.

However, the embassy will not issue a non-O visa for my partner (British) as my dependent, as we do not have a marriage certificate. I tried to present the case that we are common law spouses by providing documents like voter registration at the same address, joint bank account, but it's a no. They said they can give him a single entry tourist visa (SETV). He's hoping to find work in Bangkok but it would make life much easier if we were able to get him an extension of stay that matches mine.

Would there be an option for trying at Chaeng Wattana, to have his visa changed on the basis of him being my dependent, and get him an extension of stay to match mine? Is there any flexibility towards non-married couples? Or will our only options be to

a) do visa runs for new SETV every 90 days or

b) wait till he finds a job and he gets a new visa (e.g. from Lao) and extension of stay based on that or

c) get married? (which also creates bureaucratic headaches!)

Thanks in advance - there are very few recent forum posts about unmarried dependents and how they can join their partners...

Unless you are legally married (male/female) your partner will not get a visa or extension of stay as your "common law spouse". There is also no visa/extension available as a dependent. Until he finds work he will need to get by on SETV's

An option (unless you want to pay 500K of a PE visa) could be for him to sign up for an education course and get a Non-Immigrant 'ED' visa/extension. He could then stay in the country with extensions of stay every 90 days. Not ideal unless he actually wants to actually study and attend classes.

Thanks Elviajero. I think it is possible to change the visa for dependents according to options 1 and 2 on this list https://immigration.go.th/content/change_visa but I think a marriage certificate is still necessary  (also while the headings talk of being an immediate family member,  there is nothing in the list of required documents related to this so it's rather confusing).

5 minutes ago, sussex said:

Thanks Elviajero. I think it is possible to change the visa for dependents according to options 1 and 2 on this list https://immigration.go.th/content/change_visa but I think a marriage certificate is still necessary  (also while the headings talk of being an immediate family member,  there is nothing in the list of required documents related to this so it's rather confusing).

It is shown on this page. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_75

"9.1 A copy of evidence proving that the applicant is father, mother or children or certificate of marriage or birth certificate;*"

1 hour ago, sussex said:

Even if the word dependent is used dependancy (financial) doesn't come in to it; it is based on relationship. They will only issue visas/extensions to family members. Unfortunately unless you are married you won't qualify.

Here are the documents listed in the Police Orders issued to immigration for them to consider an extension.

2.20 In the case of being a family member of an alien permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom under Criteria 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17, 2.21, 2.22, 2.26, or 2.29 hereof or Section 34(1) (2) an (7) including family of alien granted non-immigration visa which contains “A” letter at the end of visa code, (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children) except for Non-Immigrant code L- A:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Copy of the passport of the alien who has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom

4. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate,

registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency
5. In case the children, adopted children or spouse’s children of 20 years old with illness or disability and is not able to carry on life alone, and in need of father or mother’s maintenance, a letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay issued by physician from the hospital admitted or relevant state medical institute is required.

Thanks all. Can I just confirm that if he travels to Bangkok on a SETV we should book a flight for him out of Thailand to show airline check in at london, just in case? Presumably out of Thailand within 60 days rather than 90? Does he also need proof of funds in case immigration at Bkk airport require it?

1 hour ago, sussex said:

Thanks all. Can I just confirm that if he travels to Bangkok on a SETV we should book a flight for him out of Thailand to show airline check in at london, just in case? Presumably out of Thailand within 60 days rather than 90? Does he also need proof of funds in case immigration at Bkk airport require it?

If he travels with a visa he shouldn’t be required by the airline to have an onward flight. Immigration at BKK generally don’t ask to see a flight either.

It’s highly unlikely he’d be asked to show funds on arrival at BKK airport, but it’s a good idea to have the equivalent of 20K THB. It could be part or all in GBP.