Mustang to arrive in October

snoop1130

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Having a fast car in Thailand is for masochists. Where you going to go, the motorway?

Yes from BKK to Pats, was driving my friends Jaguar at well over 100 MPH  (193KPH) and go passed by a Lamborgini doing probably 160 MPH (258 KPH) Was at night 2 AM no traffic.

3 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Yes from BKK to Pats, was driving my friends Jaguar at well over 100 MPH  (193KPH) and go passed by a Lamborgini doing probably 160 MPH (258 KPH) Was at night 2 AM no traffic.

What was the dollar value of that singular experience?

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Sure you can.  You just can't buy the land it's on.  You have to lease that, or let your Thai loved one own the land.  The house can be in your name.

So in other words you can not buy a house in Thailand. No such thing as a house in your name as the Chanot relates to the land only irrespective of whatever is on it. You want the right to live in whatever on the land you don't own then the only way to guarantee that is via a usufruct  and in any event it is the land, which you can not own,  which appreciates, whereas all Thai house , without exception depreciate as they are basically crap quality and workmanship.  However you can if you have a WP or other confirmation of residence,  buy the Mustang in your own name.   The chances are after 20 years it will still be worth more than the building (not the land) and there is an even greater probability the roof of the Mustang will not leak like the majority of Thai homes.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Having a fast car in Thailand is for masochists. Where you going to go, the motorway?

Actually there are many other countries where it's way more masochistic. In many western countries there are speed limits of 110 or 120km/h which are even seriously enforced, so for what do you buy a fast car there?

In Thailand you can go fast, speed limits are hardly enforced and if you get caught the fines are minor. So if somebody buys a fast car in Thailand (not a supercar with 3cm ground clearance, with the roads here that's indeed kind of ridiculous) i can much more relate to this person, than to a person who buys a fast car in let's say USA.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Actually there are many other countries where it's way more masochistic. In many western countries there are speed limits of 110 or 120km/h which are even seriously enforced, so for what do you buy a fast car there?

In Thailand you can go fast, speed limits are hardly enforced and if you get caught the fines are minor. So if somebody buys a fast car in Thailand (not a supercar with 3cm ground clearance, with the roads here that's indeed kind of ridiculous) i can much more relate to this person, than to a person who buys a fast car in let's say USA.

Had no trouble finding places to go fast in Canada. In a place where people have lane discipline and tend to look before pulling into traffic, It was rarely a death defying act.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Sure I do.  But waiting 51 years for a tiny chance that something will be worth what you paid for it again hardly seems like a good bet.

Just out of curiosity, what's an '84 Mustang worth today?  Or a '95 Camaro?  Or, for that matter an '85 Vette?

The vast majority of cars will never be classics.   Especially mass market cars that are the 8th generation of the ones that did become classics.

Edit: and if your friend had put that same $10,000 into a stock that averaged a 10% return, he'd be sitting on $1.3 million, and wouldn't have spent a dime on new tires or $8,000 paint jobs every few years.  (Before you scoff at 10%, keep in mind that period included the '70s when real inflation itself was running higher than that)

Picture of '84 Ford Mustang located in Florida - $26,500.00 Offered by  - NDXZ

GT350 Anniversary convertible. Ony 1,213 GT350 convertibles were produced with the 302 cubic inch HO motor. Some with manual transmission, Read More ›

$26,500
Picture of '85 Corvette - $42,995.00 - O4VR

1985 Chevrolet Corvette. Frame-Off Restoration. This vehicle has been transformed into a phenomenal machine. Virtually every nut, bolt and washer Read More ›

$42,995
  • Did you or many other young Americans put $10,000 in stocks and now have 1.3 milion in the bank? I don't think so. He bought a flashy red car that he raced on the street and track and later took to motor shows and had fun.  Now as he gets ready to retire he will sell it ($250,000 )and buy say rental property here plus have a home and his retirement pension. Don't think that was a bad deal.

44 minutes ago, Tony125 said:
Picture of '84 Ford Mustang located in Florida - $26,500.00 Offered by  - NDXZ

GT350 Anniversary convertible. Ony 1,213 GT350 convertibles were produced with the 302 cubic inch HO motor. Some with manual transmission, Read More ›

$26,500
Picture of '85 Corvette - $42,995.00 - O4VR

1985 Chevrolet Corvette. Frame-Off Restoration. This vehicle has been transformed into a phenomenal machine. Virtually every nut, bolt and washer Read More ›

$42,995
  • Did you or many other young Americans put $10,000 in stocks and now have 1.3 milion in the bank? I don't think so. He bought a flashy red car that he raced on the street and track and later took to motor shows and had fun.  Now as he gets ready to retire he will sell it ($250,000 )and buy say rental property here plus have a home and his retirement pension. Don't think that was a bad deal.

First, you're comparing mass market mustang with a Shelby.  That's like comparing a black velvet painting of Elvis with a sketch by Picasso.

Your buddy did make a great deal.  He bought a one in a thousand car.  But for every one who did, there were 100 others who bought a hot car and watched its value plummet every month they held onto it and every mile they put on it.

And posting a price from a frame-off restored Vette is a hoot.  A restoration like that costs more than the car is worth.

On 8/30/2018 at 6:27 PM, Just1Voice said:

I've owned 3 of them in my younger days, and told my wife years ago that if they ever sold them in Thailand, I'm buying on.  Well, they finally are, and I will.

Me too.

Trouble is wife wants one as well. 

OK....money no problem but she wants a pink one !

Do they have a pink option from the dealer or will she have to pay for an 

expensive respray herself ?

7 hours ago, Tony125 said:

You don't know much about Classic Cars I guess, they appreciate in value . ..

I had a grade school/high school buddy who had a nice 1967 Pontiac GTO.  Big block, manual trans.  Years later at a reunion, I asked about it.  He still had it and about 10 more!  Boy loved his Pontiacs.  I can't imagine what they are worth today.  He also still had his dad's 1947 Nash which was in good condition.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:51 AM, impulse said:

For starters, the house will be going up in value.   The Mustang, not so much. 

Even forgetting the interest on any payments (or the opportunity cost of not investing the cash elsewhere), the cost of having that 'Stang in your driveway will run into $$$ USD thousands a month- just on depreciation. 

rhe·tor·i·cal
rəˈtôrək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: rhetorical
  1. relating to or concerned with the art of rhetoric.
    "repetition is a common rhetorical device"
    synonyms: stylistic, oratorical, linguistic, verbal
    "rhetorical devices"
    • expressed in terms intended to persuade or impress.
      "the rhetorical commitment of the government to give priority to primary education"
      synonyms: extravagant, grandiloquent, magniloquent, high-flown, orotund, bombastic, grandiose, pompous, pretentious, overblown, oratorical, turgid, flowery, florid; More

• (of a question) asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.

3 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Burt Reynolds own Trans Am was sold recently. his name on the papers, truly immaculate, missed the exact price, but noted at the time it seemed low.

The Pontiac Trans Am owned by Burt Reynolds and based on the one in his movie Smokey and the Bandit sold at auction for $450,000. The car was only expected to fetch between $60,000 to $80,000, but fans of the 1977 movie started a bidding war that pushed the price up

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

The Pontiac Trans Am owned by Burt Reynolds and based on the one in his movie Smokey and the Bandit sold at auction for $450,000. The car was only expected to fetch between $60,000 to $80,000, but fans of the 1977 movie started a bidding war that pushed the price up

Well his personal lo mileage one went through Mecum Auctions fast this month with little attention or little fans. Wish id payed more attention myself, but nothing like 450. It did include his Hat that fell out the window, i remembers that bit.!

5 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Well his personal lo mileage one went through Mecum Auctions fast this month with little attention or little fans. Wish id payed more attention myself, but nothing like 450. It did include his Hat that fell out the window, i remembers that bit.!

Google is your friend

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/04/16/burt-reynolds-pontiac-turbo-trans-am-sold-for-big-bucks.html

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

4 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Dear Old Google were not at Mecum Auctions obviously 3 weeks ago, You Tube is your Friend You can find it if you wade through the Mercum Live Site.  Turbo.?. Ah well.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:51 AM, impulse said:

For starters, the house will be going up in value.   The Mustang, not so much. 

Even forgetting the interest on any payments (or the opportunity cost of not investing the cash elsewhere), the cost of having that 'Stang in your driveway will run into $$$ USD thousands a month- just on depreciation. 

Not the thread for realism. 

*Puts on 'Walter' eyewear, and cocks Eagle sidearm* 

This is a F***ing MUSTANG Dude!  

The car that won the Vietnam war,  Dude! 

https://goo.gl/images/de6vFj

Archived