From marriage to retirement visa

After 27 years of marriage to a Thai woman (yes, I've paid for my youthful sins) it is my wife who has finally cracked over the visa trip to immigration at Chiang Mai. For the past 6 years we have made the 200kms trip, arrived late, lied, cajoled and begged our way, usually within 2 days, to a successful conclusion. I've got the necessary funds in an account for 1 year so she has 'suggested' I go get a retirement visa which she doesn't need to be there for. So whats the story at Chiang Mai for a retirement visa? What documents or papers do I need and will they be suspicious that I'm going from the marriage variety to a different visa? 30 years here and it has always got harder, please tell me this is quick and easy. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I go get a retirement visa which she doesn't need to be there for.

Your wife will need to accompany you for your first retirement extension application since the officers may wish to seek her reassurance that she is content with your switch from marriage to retirement.

Documentation is pretty much the same as for a marriage extension - and, indeed, some items which you might hitherto been providing (e.g. an updated Khor Ror wedding certificate, photos of you and your wife together and a hand-drawn map showing the location of your humble abode) will probably no longer be required.

Edited by OJAS

When I changed from marriage to retirement extension four years ago in Chiang Mai, in addition to all the documents required for the retirement extension the following was required:  Wife had to be present, copy of her CPR, copy of her bluebook, copy of our marriage certificate and a copy of our marriage registration. Don't know if they still requires those, but better to be safe than sorry considering the distance you have to travel.

When I made the switch, for car sick travel reasons, here in Bangkok about 15 years ago indeed wife was required to be present to let them know it was not being done behind her back (about to leave with the maid syndrome).   After pleading to two officers was told that if she really could not attend a medical certificate/note of understanding change would be accepted - but they much preferred she attend.  In fact we both went the next day and they did not even consult her - just her presence was all that was required.

Thanks to those who have offered advice. Despite her dislike for the journey and humiliation it looks like the wife has to suffer yet another year. I make no bones about it, after 30 years of constant form filling and adherence to rules that constantly change, never get better, and are ultimately endless I hate the whole charade. As a young man with a positive attitude I expected that one day it would end. No such luck. I may now just carry on with the cheaper marriage visa and make the missus bite the bullet.

• Like 1