Can a new visa overlap the old one?

I recently found out that Vientiane's early morning session has much longer lines later in the week, compared to Monday/Tuesday.

This makes me curious: If I have a visa stamp valid until June 1, but I go to Vientiane early and hope to receive a new visa that starts on May 29, for example, will this cause any problems? I assume not since the old stamp I think would be invalidated, but I wanted to ask you guys.

I assume you mean that you have a visa sticker in your passport with an ‘enter before’ date of June 1st, and want to get a new visa before June 1st.

The answer is usually yes. They will cancel the current visa when issuing the new one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

The current visa was "used" when you entered Thailand with it. So it's no problem to get a new visa.

Not if it is a multiple entry visa, old one will be cancelled and you can enter on the new one. 

• Like 1

Hi, I am in a somewhat similar situation as the OP.

I currently am residing in Thailand on a multiple entry visa which is valid till November 25.

But I will be in my home country in September/October and plan to apply end of October once again for an METV as that would be valid till end of April 2019, which would be much more convenient for me.

But doing so there would be an overlap of approx 1 month of both visas.

Will that cause a problem when applying for the new visa or would the Thai embassy just stamp/cancel the old - but still valid - one?

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi, I am in a somewhat similar situation as the OP.

I currently am residing in Thailand on a multiple entry visa which is valid till November 25.

But I will be in my home country in September/October and plan to apply end of October once again for an METV as that would be valid till end of April 2019, which would be much more convenient for me.

But doing so there would be an overlap of approx 1 month of both visas.

Will that cause a problem when applying for the new visa or would the Thai embassy just stamp/cancel the old - but still valid - one?

This was answered by PoorSucker just one post above ?

• Thanks 1