Early Breakfast?

timpatco

Hi,

Would experienced CNX'ers care to add a list of good western breakfast joints?

I have had good brekkies at the Laughing Lepracaun near Johns Bar, great food if a little pricey but unfortunaltely inconsistent in their opening.

Also in the old city near Mun Muang Soi 2 there is a jolly Isaan lady who serves up a value Mexican Breakfast set for 85 baht inc coffee and small orange juice.

And fairly new in Loi Kroh soi 3, is the Blue Parrot Cafe next to Buang Tong lodge that has excellent coffee, very upmarket surroundings, reasonable prices and a good range of fare PLUS they open at 7:00 AM EVERY day

Hi,

Would experienced CNX'ers care to add a list of good western breakfast joints?

I have had good brekkies at the Laughing Lepracaun near Johns Bar, great food if a little pricey but unfortunaltely inconsistent in their opening.

Also in the old city near Mun Muang Soi 2 there is a jolly Isaan lady who serves up a value Mexican Breakfast set for 85 baht inc coffee and small orange juice.

And fairly new in Loi Kroh soi 3, is the Blue Parrot Cafe next to Buang Tong lodge that has excellent coffee, very upmarket surroundings, reasonable prices and a good range of fare PLUS they open at 7:00 AM EVERY day

Mad Dog, just before Soi 2 on Moon Muang, opens at 08:30 and serves a full English that can be a challenge to finish.

JxP

The Laughing Leprechan is the best English breakfast in town IMO and the quality is worth the price, but it opens later.

Art Cafe at Thapae Gate and So Jos over by Panthip Plaza are probably the best American breakfasts in Thailand with Southern bisquits and gravy and buttermilk pancakes and great omelets and Egg's Benedict and so on.

Art Cafe opens about 8 am.

JJ Cafe near the Art Cafe opens at 6:30 AM and has fresh juices and good musili and egg dishes.

The Laughing Leprechan is the best English breakfast in town IMO and the quality is worth the price, but it opens later.

Art Cafe at Thapae Gate and So Jos over by Panthip Plaza are probably the best American breakfasts in Thailand with Southern bisquits and gravy and buttermilk pancakes and great omelets and Egg's Benedict and so on.

Art Cafe opens about 8 am.

JJ Cafe near the Art Cafe opens at 6:30 AM and has fresh juices and good musili and egg dishes.

I like the Art Cafe breakfast - the hash browns are great!

You people still have Western breakfasts? :D

You never get the craving? :D

But you do have a point, it is generally healthier to eat locally produced and in season foods and therefore easier if you follow a (mainly) local diet . . . . hel_l, I'll even bet that some of these people still use toilet paper! :o

JxP

I've pretty much never been able to eat anything but Western food for breakfast - one of the perils of being born in a civilized country - although I do like kow tum and can handle jok or gwai teo kai if I have to, but only every now and then.

I love Japanese food after noon, but fish and rice for in the morning just doesn't make it.

Waffles with scrambled eggs and bacon or buttered toast with hot cinnamon oatmeal and brown sugar, tastes much better to me.

Haven't used toilet paper for 15 years, thank you.

> Yep, I reckon so . . . . the clue was in the wording: toilet paper

Aaahh.. that got lost in translation then, on the way from 'toilet paper' to 'kradaht tissue' and ending up on the breakfast table. :o

(In the toilet we of course use a bamboo stick.)

...and So Jos over by Panthip Plaza are probably the best American breakfasts in Thailand with Southern bisquits and gravy and buttermilk pancakes and great omelets and Egg's Benedict and so on.

Breakfast is my favorite meal so based on what I read here on this thread, I ventured over to SoJo's this morning to check their place out. This was my experience.

Tirac and I arrived around 11 AM. I was immediately impressed with the decor and general ambiance of the place. It was bright, clean, spacious, and appointed with what I consider, very nice furnishings. Comfortable, sturdy seats with high backs and a large dining table. The speakers were playing good music at just the right amplitude as to not distract from conversation. A wonderful place to sit and enjoy a good breakfast I hoped.

With the exception of one other farang, who appeared finished with his order, we were the only customers. A waitress appeared with menus almost immediately and gave us a few minutes to look them over. When she came back, I ordered the buttermilk pancakes, scrambled eggs with cheese, and coffee. Tirac ordered the broccoli stir fry, rice, and coffee. Everything was looking promising for a great breakfast.

• Broccoli Stir Fry: 80 baht

• Scramble Eggs w/ cheese: 30 baht

• Coffee (2): 70 baht

• Buttermilk Pancakes (3): 55 baht

The coffee and condiments came in 5 minutes of ordering. Large cups with a generous portion of "joe" that tasted real smooth. No complaints. About 10 minutes later my pancakes and syrup appeared, but without any butter. While my pancakes quickly cooled, I waited, thinking the butter must surely be on the way. After 2-3 minutes, I walked to the back of the place where I found our waitress now wrapping the house silverware in napkins. I asked her, "butter please?" and I returned to our table and my now cold pancakes. Soon, she came with the butter. Luckily, the butter wasn't frozen solid (as is so often the case) and spread pretty easily on the cakes. Still the pancakes were cool and the syrup, which was obviously kept stored in the refrigerator, didn't do much to warm them either. I ate them cold.

Meanwhile, the one lone customer that had been there when we arrived, departed the premises.

About the time I was finishing the cold pancakes, the tirac's order of rice and broccoli showed up. Tirac enjoyed her dish as far as I could tell, although it was just broccoli and a few tomato slices, it did present well. My eggs arrived next and were cooked close to perfection. Not too soft or runny nor too hard.

As we were eating our second and third dishes, we saw 3 more customers come in and sit down. One of them, a lone young woman, sat at one of the outside tables for about 10 minutes without any of the SoJo's staff ever approaching her. She finally left without ordering, presumably because she was never given the opportunity. The other two customers, who arrived and sat together inside, left without ordering as well.

After requesting the bill, it soon arrived. I noticed there was a 110 baht charge for a "Healthy Start Breakfast" that I had not ordered. (I am very distrustful of anything labeled "healthy.") I pointed this mistake out to the waitress and with apologies she went back to fix our bill. It arrived in a "corrected" state and I paid the bill and included (by my standards) a conservative tip.

A table of 6 customers showed up as we were finishing our meal and their orders were taken just prior to our departure. We were gone by the time their orders arrived so I cannot say what their service was like.

From what I experienced, the person(s) in charge of SoJos really need to teach their staff some basic customer service skills. Although the food was relatively good and the atmosphere was wonderful, the service was seriously lacking. Our order was basically just three simple dishes, yet they arrived at our table seperately over a period of 20 minutes. The customer's full order needs to arrive in a reasonable amount of time and, if possible, all at one time.

And it doesn't take an MBA degree to know that a business is losing money when customers walk in, do not get service, and leave without ordering. Never mind the mistake on my bill, that happens now and then and I do not think it was intentional. If it happens the next time, it will be their LAST time with me.

I will go back to SoJos again because I did enjoy their food somewhat. I would hope the pancakes are served hot with the butter on the side. The syrup could be warmed in just a few seconds in a microwave. Hot syrup could have easily been the saving grace for those cool pancakes this morning.

For the owners and staff at SoJos: It would not take very much work to make your establishment a truely outstanding place to dine. Work on it.
Edited by Rice_King

...and So Jos over by Panthip Plaza are probably the best American breakfasts in Thailand with Southern bisquits and gravy and buttermilk pancakes and great omelets and Egg's Benedict and so on.

Breakfast is my favorite meal so based on what I read here on this thread, I ventured over to SoJo's this morning to check their place out. This was my experience.

Tirac and I arrived around 11 AM. I was immediately impressed with the decor and general ambiance of the place. It was bright, clean, spacious, and appointed with what I consider, very nice furnishings. Comfortable, sturdy seats with high backs and a large dining table. The speakers were playing good music at just the right amplitude as to not distract from conversation. A wonderful place to sit and enjoy a good breakfast I hoped.

With the exception of one other farang, who appeared finished with his order, we were the only customers. A waitress appeared with menus almost immediately and gave us a few minutes to look them over. When she came back, I ordered the buttermilk pancakes, scrambled eggs with cheese, and coffee. Tirac ordered the broccoli stir fry, rice, and coffee. Everything was looking promising for a great breakfast.

The coffee and condiments came in 5 minutes of ordering. Large cups with a generous portion of "joe" that tasted real smooth. No complaints. About 10 minutes later my pancakes and syrup appeared, but without any butter. While my pancakes quickly cooled, I waited, thinking the butter must surely be on the way. After 2-3 minutes, I walked to the back of the place where I found our waitress now wrapping the house silverware in napkins. I asked her, "butter please?" and I returned to our table and my now cold pancakes. Soon, she came with the butter. Luckily, the butter wasn't frozen solid (as is so often the case) and spread pretty easily on the cakes. Still the pancakes were cool and the syrup, which was obviously kept stored in the refrigerator, didn't do much to warm them either. I ate them cold.

Meanwhile, the one lone customer that had been there when we arrived, departed the premises.

About the time I was finishing the cold pancakes, the tirac's order of rice and broccoli showed up. Tirac enjoyed her dish as far as I could tell, although it was just broccoli and a few tomato slices, it did present well. My eggs arrived next and were cooked close to perfection. Not too soft or runny nor too hard.

As we were eating our second and third dishes, we saw 3 more customers come in and sit down. One of them, a lone young woman, sat at one of the outside tables for about 10 minutes without any of the SoJo's staff ever approaching her. She finally left without ordering, presumably because she was never given the opportunity. The other two customers, who arrived and sat together inside, left without ordering as well.

After requesting the bill, it soon arrived. I noticed there was a 110 baht charge for a "Healthy Start Breakfast" that I had not ordered. (I am very distrustful of anything labeled "healthy.") I pointed this mistake out to the waitress and with apologies she went back to fix our bill. It arrived in a "corrected" state and I paid the bill and included (by my standards) a conservative tip.

A table of 6 customers showed up as we were finishing our meal and their orders were taken just prior to our departure. We were gone by the time their orders arrived so I cannot say what their service was like.

From what I experienced, the person(s) in charge of SoJos really need to teach their staff some basic customer service skills. Although the food was relatively good and the atmosphere was wonderful, the service was seriously lacking. Our order was basically just three simple dishes, yet they arrived at our table seperately over a period of 20 minutes. The customer's full order needs to arrive in a reasonable amount of time and, if possible, all at one time.

And it doesn't take an MBA degree to know that a business is losing money when customers walk in, do not get service, and leave without ordering. Never mind the mistake on my bill, that happens now and then and I do not think it was intentional. If it happens the next time, it will be their LAST time with me.

I will go back to SoJos again because I did enjoy their food somewhat. I would hope the pancakes are served hot with the butter on the side. The syrup could be warmed in just a few seconds in a microwave. Hot syrup could have easily been the saving grace for those cool pancakes this morning.

For the owners and staff at SoJos: It would not take very much work to make your establishment a truely outstanding place to dine. Work on it.

My next door neighbor is a partner in SoJos. Every time I've been in there the food has been fantastic. Try the carrot cake!

Anyhow, it shouldn't be necessary, but in Thailand I find that it is: if you want something hot, be sure to tell the staff that. Thais eat food, hot or cold.

Wow some people eat big breakfasts! I have about 10 varieties of "crunchy air" (name given by my friend who is a fan of big fried breakfasts, which I am not) in the cupboard, to chooose from. Failing that ,my favourite Thai breakfast is sticky rice, nam phrik daeng and at least 5-6 kinds of steamed local vegetable, preferably including pumpkin!

Wow some people eat big breakfasts! I have about 10 varieties of "crunchy air" (name given by my friend who is a fan of big fried breakfasts, which I am not) in the cupboard, to chooose from. Failing that ,my favourite Thai breakfast is sticky rice, nam phrik daeng and at least 5-6 kinds of steamed local vegetable, preferably including pumpkin!

Yummy.. :o

I've pretty much never been able to eat anything but Western food for breakfast - one of the perils of being born in a civilized country - although I do like kow tum and can handle jok or gwai teo kai if I have to, but only every now and then.

I love Japanese food after noon, but fish and rice for in the morning just doesn't make it.

Waffles with scrambled eggs and bacon or buttered toast with hot cinnamon oatmeal and brown sugar, tastes much better to me.

Haven't used toilet paper for 15 years, thank you.

Is that why I keep getting books with pages missing :o

[quote name='Rice_King'

The Thai "habit" of delivering food piecemeal is very common.

When tirac's food is ready it is delivered and whilst she is eating you're sitting there like a spare p*&^k at a wedding.

Your food arrives and tirac sits there watching you eat.

Also food temperature is another thing they can't seem to get a handle on. Lukewarm is often the case and, to warm the plates first, "whatever are you thinking of, you must be mad"

If you tell the waitress "thuuk aharn maa promgun" you stand a chance of all the food arriving at the same time (it will however, still have been sitting in the kitchen going cold until all the components are ready to be served "at the same time") :o

Edited by john b good

Bl0ody he1l mate - do you work for Michelin?
:o

JxP