Bangkok: City of Stress

rooster59

Bangkok: City of Stress

By THE NATION WEEKEND

4381a001ce4c2d99e7c8268266af9117.jpeg

Photo by...Rachanon Intharaksa

Bangkok residents’ daily struggle for transportation, personal space and quality of life has prompted the emergence of a sarcastic hashtag among netizens.

b1aad17f38c9b482f31d943f9c239a65.jpeg

5e300c24afc40aa4123ea8894235256c.jpeg

“Krunthep Cheevit Dee Dee Thee Long Tua” (Bangkok: living the good life where everything falls into place) mocks the Thai capital’s motto – “Bangkok … City of Life”.

517052438a00510ea044077d500cfeb0.jpeg

Commuters wake each morning to the stress of getting around the teeming metropolis in crowded rush-hour buses and trains. Many join snaking queues that can spill from footpaths onto the road, peering through traffic fumes for their ride to work. The daily scene at Mo Chit Skytrain Station’s bus stop is enough to trigger nightmares for even the hardened Bangkok commuter. 

ad4a4e53e77d7f8ed2988d4222e2a6e2.jpeg

Already a difficult task in the sunshine, conditions worsen in the rain when a few moments of torrential downpour can leave you drenched from head to toe. Lately, city commuters have had their misery compounded by malfunctions in the Skytrain and subway systems.

6eb4f53ebf2d93ff6dfadd0ddd45233d.jpeg

Interference with signal frequencies has seen trains delayed and a door opening while train is in motion, while someday water also leaked into carriages. Passengers have been left waiting on crowded platforms as operators seek a fix. 

68b42d9835c20e590da7bef33c2d74d9.jpeg

Thailand is now home to about 66 million people but Bangkok is by far the most densely populated corner of the Kingdom, cramming in 5.6 million residents. With that figure still growing, the crush is unlikely to ease anytime soon. 

711bb8edf3c81acb85de39373bb53f32.jpeg

d09c743278febbd5548d835c68d693ca.jpeg

a2306360c62d704bd704860816538056.jpeg

62e777554801ec254df1eb5ff5b0ba7c.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353448

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-01

BKK is gradually sinking (anyone bothered yet?) and soon Isaan land prices will rocket up.

I'm not sure where to invest my hard earned - but fast depreciating dosh - land for the family or bitcoin.

Edited by owl sees all

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Since when has Bangkok 5.6 million residents?

That's likely just the number of people registered with a house book in the city of Bangkok.

I checked the number of the last governor elections (2013).

Counting the votes and turnout results in a laughable number of 3.6 million eligible voters. Might fight the 5.7 total.

City of Bangkok: the felt numbers are also much higher because the city and the neighboring provinces have basically melted to a big lump. And many daily commute to the city.

If you drive from Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi: do you feel you have left the city and entered a neighboring province or just driving through suburbs?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Can anyone name a major/capital city that does not have the same issues.  Every city in Canada does and NYC and L.A. In the states.  

That is life in the big city nothing you can do about it

At last..common sense and maturity.

At a premium on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And since the boys in green took control the city is more expensive and less fun.  I use to do a lot of walking to avoid crowds and stress.  The occasional happy hour helped too. 

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Can anyone name a major/capital city that does not have the same issues.

Taipei has lots and lots of rail.  Hong Kong, Singapore do as well.  Hong Kong's stations are too small though.   During the mornings, it is a drag. 

Bangkok is headed for far worse problems given the number if cars that are added on a daily basis.  More mass transit is needed. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Can anyone name a major/capital city that does not have the same issues.  Every city in Canada does and NYC and L.A. In the states.  

That is life in the big city nothing you can do about it

Singapore?

Bangkok is a huge city in a tropical third world country. That is why it has some of

its problems, just like Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma, and even India that has tons of

pollution and crowded streets, of course India has all those coal fired powerplants

that do not help. Stress Indeed!

Geezer

Bangkok is a fun place to visit every now and then, but living/working there...no way Jose, would end up too jaded and run down. 

On 9/1/2018 at 10:18 AM, owl sees all said:

I'm not sure where to invest my hard earned - but fast depreciating dosh - land for the family or bitcoin.

If you are thinking Isaan for land, then I'd probably go for a plot on the outskirts of Korat or Khon Kaen cities in the not too distant future. Land is still reasonably priced now around these cities. Although, I wouldn't bet on it still being like that once they have that new train line up and running in a couple of years...especially Korat. You'll be able to live in Korat and work in Bangkok and vice versa.

• Like 1