5 Ghz wifi faster than Ethernet

janclaes47

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

WiFi routers on 2.4GHz reach about 45 mtrs indoors and 90 outdoors.

You can't specify like that. It depends on their antennas and the interference on the way (like a kitchen with lots of metal, microwave etc). My moms 2.4GHz router doesn't even provide proper signal less than 15m away. There's a huge difference between individual routers. Btw a 45 meter radius would cover 4 Rai of indoor space which is highly unlikely unless you have a really good unit.

The general rule of thumb is that 2.4GHz gets you further reach (can penetrate walls easier) but has more intereference from others operating on the same frequency. 5GHz has less devices using it but less reach.

But back on topic, a router which gets proper speed on 5GHz wifi should easily be able to deliver the same speed over ethernet. Will be interesting to hear what the final discovery will be.

@janclaes47 have you tried with a seperate known good cable directly plugged into the router instead of using the ones going through your walls? Also make sure you're on the latest firmware for your router, just in case.

35 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You can't specify like that. It depends on their antennas and the interference on the way (like a kitchen with lots of metal, microwave etc). My moms 2.4GHz router doesn't even provide proper signal less than 15m away. There's a huge difference between individual routers. Btw a 45 meter radius would cover 4 Rai of indoor space which is highly unlikely unless you have a really good unit.

The general rule of thumb is that 2.4GHz gets you further reach (can penetrate walls easier) but has more intereference from others operating on the same frequency. 5GHz has less devices using it but less reach.

But back on topic, a router which gets proper speed on 5GHz wifi should easily be able to deliver the same speed over ethernet. Will be interesting to hear what the final discovery will be.

@janclaes47 have you tried with a seperate known good cable directly plugged into the router instead of using the ones going through your walls? Also make sure you're on the latest firmware for your router, just in case.

The router was new from 3BB last week. Do you mean that 5GHz WiFi will be the same speed as ethernet? I am getting 110Mb/s via ethernet. Unfortunately my 'new' phone 9Huawei Y9) does not support 5GHz ! I got a G-Link 20 metre CAT6 cable, drilled a few holes thru some walls, and that goes into my NUC, which I use as a media player in my lounge upstairs. All seems to wirk OK. BUT, please could you explain why I cannot get Channel 4 (UK) on my NUC with Zen VPN turned ON, says content not available in your area, but I can get it perfectly on my phone via 2.4GHz WiFi. Cheers.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

I have been very busy with other things today, but what you ask is actually a hole different story.

First of all, 3BB doesn't issue firmware updates for their routers.

My PC is connected directly to the router with the LAN cable that came with the router.

I have changed cables and ports several times, but ever since I have internet VDSL or fibre, on Windows the speed test to UK will show a maximum of 10 Mbps.

3BB technicians have used their laptops and also unable to achieve anything higher than 10 Mbps, though on 5Ghz wifi they also achieve 60 - 70 Mbps on that same laptop.

This is not specific to this router or fibre, as this has been exactly the same on VDSL and on other routers.

It is also not limited because of Ethernet port settings, because at the same time can get 70 Mbps to Singapore on that same PC.

My test speed to Singapore on PC connected directly to router

singapore.JPG.4bf4aa7eb4d7abb3a20db2a655b4d7de.JPG

My test speed to UK on PC connected directly to the router ( 3BB technicians get same result on their laptop hardwired to the router )

London.JPG.d32550dcc0980abb0ef73eb214fcdc0b.JPG

My test speed to UK over 5Ghz wifi on my phone, with a 25 cm cavity wall between room where the router is and my office.

191564857_ondon5ghz.JPG.ae7e5cc3d353c60b7a2b6123543e9bc3.JPG

That's interesting. So you do get much better speed over ethernet to SG, only to UK it's slow. And with your phone it's fast to UK as well. First I'd say sounds like a VPN that routes your UK (but not SG) traffic through it and you simply don't have that on your phone. But if the 3BB techs also get such a slow speed then that doesn't seem to be the case.

In fact, I've just tried the same as you and am getting also very different results depending on the device. My laptop is getting less than 10mbps to that UK server and my phone gets more than triple that. But here's the catch: both are connected over Wifi to the same wireless network /router which is then connected over ethernet to the 3BB router. So clearly there's something going on with the speed test website depending on device type and not connection type. Try over Wifi with your computer and see what you get. If it's like mine, then it should be equally slow over Wifi and ethernet.

I've just re-tried and flipped my laptop's user agent to Android FF and my phone's user agent to desktop FF. Same results as before. So it's not just the user agent. Funky stuff going on there.

I tried 2 different speed test sites: speedtest.net and fast.com and on both I get similar speeds on both my laptop and my phone. So I'm pretty sure that testmy.net is the root cause for the weird results.

On 9/4/2018 at 4:20 PM, eisfeld said:

I've just re-tried and flipped my laptop's user agent to Android FF and my phone's user agent to desktop FF. Same results as before. So it's not just the user agent. Funky stuff going on there.

I tried 2 different speed test sites: speedtest.net and fast.com and on both I get similar speeds on both my laptop and my phone. So I'm pretty sure that testmy.net is the root cause for the weird results.

On my PC with Singapore VPN enabled. Speedtest.net and fast.com are not credible test sites in my opinion, because they use multithread to test, so you always get the maximum speed

image.png.c71242974ac37b8b701e39904896e6e5.png

45 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

On my PC with Singapore VPN enabled. Speedtest.net and fast.com are not credible test sites in my opinion, because they use multithread to test, so you always get the maximum speed

I'm not sure how credible the results from testmy.net are if they differ so much for me between devices on the exact same connection. I'd be happy though if I could figure out what the cause of this is because I can't come up with an explanation.

Have you tried via Wifi from your PC?

Just now, eisfeld said:

I'm not sure how credible the results from testmy.net are if they differ so much for me between devices on the exact same connection. I'd be happy though if I could figure out what the cause of this is because I can't come up with an explanation.

Have you tried via Wifi from your PC?

My PC doesn't have wifi.

Testmy.net test on a single connection, while speedtest.net starts with a single connection, then adds threads until it get thee maximum speed, similar to a torrent.

A internet connection never delivers the same speed all the time, that is also why you see that middle variance with testmy.net, while with other speed test you only see the speed ever increasing during a test.

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

image.png.c71242974ac37b8b701e39904896e6e5.png

Download a very well seeded torrent like a popular Linux distro or something a few gb in size and it will max out your connection if there's a few thousand people seeding 

Speedtests can be  hit and miss from one minute to the next 

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

A internet connection never delivers the same speed all the time, that is also why you see that middle variance with testmy.net, while with other speed test you only see the speed ever increasing during a test.

Increasing speed during a test can simply be an increase in TCP window size, this can make quite a big difference especially when latencies increase. That's why transfer speeds usually need a bit of time to pick up pace.

But at testmy.net I am getting consistently and reproducibly very different results between my phone and my laptop on the exact same Wifi. I can't explain that and I can't reproduce it with anything else like a simple file download from a server in EU.

Archived