5 Ghz wifi faster than Ethernet

janclaes47

I had recently 3BB fibre installed.

Doing a testmy.net speed test to Europe gives me about double the speed over 5 Ghz WIFI compared to any other device connected directly to the router with Cat5e LAN.

Like UK will give me +60Mbps over the WIFI, but if I'm lucky I get 30 Mbps connected by LAN.

All cables are Cat5e, all ports are Gigabit ports, and even if they were lower grade they should still cover the 60Mbps.

Ping to router is less than 1 ms.

I have googled this and there seem to be plenty of similar questions available, but I haven't found a credible answer in any of the many results available.

Anyone know the real answer?

Unplug everything, turn off all wifi, then connect just one ethernet cable to do your test. If that works, add things one by one testing each time until you get to the one that is causing the problem. If it doesnt properly work at all with just one device, try another single device and another cable. If no devices work alone then your router is probably faulty or there is something odd about your speed test.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Unplug everything, turn off all wifi, then connect just one ethernet cable to do your test. If that works, add things one by one testing each time until you get to the one that is causing the problem. If it doesnt properly work at all with just one device, try another single device and another cable. If no devices work alone then your router is probably faulty or there is something odd about your speed test.

Thanks for your reply, but I think you missed the point.

Router is brandnew, I doubt that all 4 ports are faulty, and also all 4 lan cables and all 4 devices.

The clue should be here

7 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I have googled this and there seem to be plenty of similar questions available, but I haven't found a credible answer in any of the many results available. 

If you Google it there are many people who experience the same. That can't be a coincidence

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&ei=0yqNW8PaIdb79QPDvYWoAQ&q=5ghz+wifi+faster+than+ethernet&oq=5ghz+wifi+faster+than+ethernet&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.19304.20926.0.22092.8.8.0.0.0.0.108.790.4j4.8.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.8.784....0.R0lOO5AO-YE

Check your network adapter properties settings, not exactly sure where, that your Ethernet is set to Gigabyte/full duplex. No way can a wifi, 2.4 or 5Ghz can be faster than something connected via cable. I have just got 3BB 100Mb/s FTTH, and get 130 MB/s sec on my phone connected to the wifi right next to the router, which drops to less than 60 upstairs. Got another PC connected via CAT6 cable upstairs...........120MB/s. 

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Check your network adapter properties settings, not exactly sure where, that your Ethernet is set to Gigabyte/full duplex. No way can a wifi, 2.4 or 5Ghz can be faster than something connected via cable. I have just got 3BB 100Mb/s FTTH, and get 130 MB/s sec on my phone connected to the wifi right next to the router, which drops to less than 60 upstairs. Got another PC connected via CAT6 cable upstairs...........120MB/s. 

Where did you buy your cat6 cable?  

Just now, 4evermaat said:

Where did you buy your cat6 cable?  

Lazada, 20 metres, white, Bht 220 COD.  First I got a Powerline set from Invate IT for Bht 4500.......'kin useless. Sent it back. Oh, and 2 packs of cable clips Bht 40.

16 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Check your network adapter properties settings, not exactly sure where, that your Ethernet is set to Gigabyte/full duplex.

You think Ethernet adapter wrong settings on at least 4 devices?

By the way, why would i need gigabyte to receive 60Mbps?

Did anyone bother to click on the Google link?

7 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Agreed. So you have 100MB/s coming in from 3BB or who ever, so that's your maximum speed. But connecting PCs on a private Gigabyte network means you can transfer files, films etc between them at Gigabyte speed. But no way will you get faster than the IP provider is pumping into your home. Your bandwidth will be divided by the number of PCs/phones connected AND downloading at the same time. No?

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

You think Ethernet adapter wrong settings on at least 4 devices?

Did anyone bother to click on the Google link?

It could be a fault cable. Or a faulty port (less likely)

It could be the settings of the computer (DNS) or other network settings.

It could be the drivers are out of date.

I think the advice to test each unit that can connect to the ethernet port individually until you see which one(s) are slow is the best way to diagnose the problem.  If they are all slower than normal, than maybe it is the cable.  a proper CAT 5e or CAT6 should be plenty for 100Mbps as the theoretical max is 1-10Gbps.

But if the ethernet cable is bent out of shape severely, it can degrade the speed quality.  Excess cable should be bound in a circular style with maybe 10-20 degrees max bend. 

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I think you mean Mb/s (small b) , 8Mbits is equal to 1MByte, no internet connection runs at 120 MegaBytes. 

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Agreed. So you have 100MB/s coming in from 3BB or who ever, so that's your maximum speed. But connecting PCs on a private Gigabyte network means you can transfer files, films etc between them at Gigabyte speed. But no way will you get faster than the IP provider is pumping into your home. Your bandwidth will be divided by the number of PCs/phones connected AND downloading at the same time. No?

I have 100 Mb fibre, that is to Thai servers ONLY.

I test with testmy.net to Europe, as I wrote in the OP.

I get on the 5Ghz wifi +60Mbps to Europe, on 2 different devices, a phone and a laptop,

I get hardly 30Mbps to the same server on every other device that I have in my house connected directly to the router, and with only 1 device active at any time.

As I said click on the Google link, there are many people all over the world who report the same

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you mean Mb/s (small b) , 8Mbits is equal to 1MByte, no internet connection runs at 120 MegaBytes. 

Sorry Peter getting my mb/s and mB/s mixed up. mb is for speeds and mB is for storage, yeh?

45 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Router is brandnew, I doubt that all 4 ports are faulty, and also all 4 lan cables and all 4 devices.

Not that all four ports are faulty, I would agree with kittenkong, something appears to be affecting the wired LAN speed and taking everything else off the router will help find it, could be something like 2 wired devices want the same IP address, wired devices are connected to more than one LAN, different DNS, subnets etc.

In the goggle example you gave it turned out to be a second LAN network.

Maybe start by also removing any unnecessary protocols from LAN adaptors, compare to wireless adaptor settings.

12 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I have 100 Mb fibre, that is to Thai servers ONLY.

I test with testmy.net to Europe, as I wrote in the OP.

I get on the 5Ghz wifi +60Mbps to Europe, on 2 different devices, a phone and a laptop,

I get hardly 30Mbps to the same server on every other device that I have in my house connected directly to the router, and with only 1 device active at any time.

As I said click on the Google link, there are many people all over the world who report the same

Is you 5GHz wifi not coming from your router's wifi? So it cannot be faster than what your IP provider is pumping in. And if THailand is slowing down the signal from abroad,.....

Just now, wgdanson said:

Is you 5GHz wifi not coming from your router's wifi? So it cannot be faster than what your IP provider is pumping in. And if THailand is slowing down the signal from abroad,.....

Slowly.

I get +60Mbps on the wifi to Europe.

I get 30mbps on the LAN to Europe.

Same test service, same router, same isp

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Slowly.

I get +60Mbps on the wifi to Europe.

I get 30mbps on the LAN to Europe.

Same test service, same router, same isp

Yep, seems illogical. I can get Channel 4 (Countdown) perfectly via my Zenmate VPN on my phone, and cannot see Rachel at all on my 50 inch Samsung. Ooooh 50 inches of Rachel Riley..... and Susie Dent of course.

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yep, seems illogical. I can get Channel 4 (Countdown) perfectly via my Zenmate VPN on my phone, and cannot see Rachel at all on my 50 inch Samsung. Ooooh 50 inches of Rachel Riley..... and Susie Dent of course.

I know it is illogical, and it seems that more people all over the world experience the same, but in all the similar topics I found so far on Google there is none with a valid answer

6 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I know it is illogical, and it seems that more people all over the world experience the same, but in all the similar topics I found so far on Google there is none with a valid answer

The google example you posted earlier links off to below and the guy fixed it, turned out to be wired devices connecting to more than one LAN.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/893366-fixed-pc-ethernet-slower-than-wireless/?page=2

45 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I get 138/40 and I pay for 100/30  so it's possible to get a bit extra for free

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry Peter getting my mb/s and mB/s mixed up. mb is for speeds and mB is for storage, yeh?

Now you mixed it up even more...

M usually is for Mega (factor one million)

m usually is for Milli (one thousand-th)

B usually is for Byte

b is for Bit (one eight of a Byte)

So before you were off by a factor of 8 because you used Bytes instead of Bits. Network speed is usually written in Bits/s. Now "mb" would be millibit so a thousandth of a bit. If people are lazy, they will write something like 10mb/s which of course is wrong but usually clear from the context. But when you also introduce mB into the mix, things get very wrong.

If you want to speak about network speeds, maybe use the Mbps (mega bit per second) notation. That makes it usually clear, even if you lazily write "mbps" (people wont misunderstand it for milli bit per second).

Just as a matter of facts and engineering, there's no way in the world that a NORMAL/non faulty Ethernet Cat 5 or 6 cable connection should be significantly slower than a 5 GHz wifi signal coming from the same ISP source/router. Gotta be something in the router settings or cabling.

I've got 3BB 200/100 Mbps fiber at home, and pretty much get close to my full download capacity when I test on my desktop PC connected via Ethernet for a local source in Thailand. But when I switch that same PC to a 5 GHz wifi signal broadcast by the same router with the PC located right next to the router, that drops to about 60 Mbps max DL.

AC wifi on 5 GHz generally's going to be faster, and N wifi on 2.4 GHz is typically going to be slower. But neither of them should ever get close to the speed of a straight line Ethernet cable connection.

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

The clue should be here

I didnt miss anything and I was not suggesting that all cables or devices were faulty.

Do the test exactly as I described. It will allow you to pinpoint where the problem is. No other procedure will allow this, and you must rule out these basic potential issues first before looking at anything else.

Just now, Ks45672 said:

I bought dodgy ethernet cables from Lazada before that I had to return as my testing proved they were cheaper cables mislabled 

The fake ones I got were white with a blue connector on each end 

My whole house is hardwired with Cat5e, with minimum 2 connection points per room.

So I can isolate everything by just unplugging cables from router and/or network switch.

I doubt they are wrong labelled, but even if they were only Cat5 that would be sufficient to transfer 60Mbps.

I have also 4 wifi routers spread over the house, unfortunately only the 3BB router that supports 5Ghz.

Tomorrow i'm gonna connect another 5Ghz router to a connection point where I have now an Android device connected, and see what result i get there.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

My whole house is hardwired with Cat5e, with minimum 2 connection points per room.

So I can isolate everything by just unplugging cables from router and/or network switch.

I doubt they are wrong labelled, but even if they were only Cat5 that would be sufficient to transfer 60Mbps.

I have also 4 wifi routers spread over the house, unfortunately only the 3BB router that supports 5Ghz.

Tomorrow i'm gonna connect another 5Ghz router to a connection point where I have now an Android device connected, and see what result i get there.

That was precisely the issue 

My average speedtest on installation was ~140/40 but I needed some  longer cables for aesthetics 

On the dodgy cable I couldn't get over 58-59 even though it was listed and sold as cat 6 (the one with the blue connectors) 

I bought another  on the same day from different manufacturer , the same length and rating  but the one from glink actually delivered 140/40  a hundred metres away so In my case it was easy to pinpoint it to the cable being subpar

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Now you mixed it up even more...

M usually is for Mega (factor one million)

m usually is for Milli (one thousand-th)

B usually is for Byte

b is for Bit (one eight of a Byte)

So before you were off by a factor of 8 because you used Bytes instead of Bits. Network speed is usually written in Bits/s. Now "mb" would be millibit so a thousandth of a bit. If people are lazy, they will write something like 10mb/s which of course is wrong but usually clear from the context. But when you also introduce mB into the mix, things get very wrong.

If you want to speak about network speeds, maybe use the Mbps (mega bit per second) notation. That makes it usually clear, even if you lazily write "mbps" (people wont misunderstand it for milli bit per second).

So to get it right, network and transfer speeds should be in M (Mega) bits per second....Mb/s, and a good home network would be a GigaBIT network, not GigaBYTE  as usually quoted, and storage in MBytes/GBytes. If it is quoted as GIGABYTE, that is 8GIGABITS which is impossible, I think. Correct?

Just looked at my router spec, and it does say 4 x GIGABIT ports.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

So to get it right, network and transfer speeds should be in M (Mega) bits per second....Mb/s, and a good home network would be a GigaBIT network, not GigaBYTE  as usually quoted, and storage in MBytes/GBytes. If it is quoted as GIGABYTE, that is 8GIGABITS which is impossible, I think. Correct?

Just looked at my router spec, and it does say 4 x GIGABIT ports.

Correct. Network speed is usually written right now for home internet connections as Mb/s or Mbit/s or Mbps. Servers usually are in the Gbps range and home fiber connections start to also stratch on that speed.

A standard home ethernet network should be using Gigabit ports (1 Gbps). Faster servers can use 10 Gbps ports. If you see "Gigabyte" on your router, then things get slightly confusing because there's a manufacturer which has the name Gigabyte so that might be it. 8 Gigabits isn't impossible but usually ethernet speeds are 1 or 10 Gbps. 8 Gigabits/s could also mean 8 1Gbps ports...

Now, a spec of 1 Gbps on a port doesn't mean that the router actually is able to deliver that full speed. Modern and/or higher spec ones should easily be able to though.

But network speed is not always quoted in Bits/s. Download tools, Browsers etc like to display in Bytes/s.

It's all a bit confusing and personally I think it would help everyone if the Bits/s was ditched.

And if things are not confusing enough, there's actually two different prefix systems (binary prefix and SI/metric prefix) which get used for some things but not others. One uses a factor 1024 (base 2), the other 1000 (base 10). It's all a bit of a big mess (pun intended).

Further reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix

Archived