Bringing medicine with pseudoephedrine into Thailand?

bermondburi

I've brought in over 10 boxes of Eltor from Canada on several occasions.  More recently I've been bringing in Zertec-D from Singapore.  I've had it in my carry-on and never had any issue at all.  I think customs and immigration is more concerned with things like heroin, elephant tusks, bombs, balloons full of white powder etc.   I've never seen an officer read the fine print on a box of medicine, nor do I think pseudoephedrine is high on the list of concerns for anyone.  Considering how much Yaba is in the country a few boxes of sinus medicine wouldn't be a factor even if you did have bad intentions.  

No, I don't manufacture meth, I have serious sinus trouble.  I've had 3 sinus surgeries and even my doctor told me to bring in the meds I need.  

Rule is: 30 day supply, labelled containers and if possible have a doctor's note or prescription with you but if note, as long as quantity is small and it is in original boxes/labelling should be OK.  Where you would get into real trouble would be if bringing in a suitcase full.

4 hours ago, action said:

I've brought in over 10 boxes of Eltor from Canada on several occasions.  More recently I've been bringing in Zertec-D from Singapore.  I've had it in my carry-on and never had any issue at all.  I think customs and immigration is more concerned with things like heroin, elephant tusks, bombs, balloons full of white powder etc.   I've never seen an officer read the fine print on a box of medicine, nor do I think pseudoephedrine is high on the list of concerns for anyone.  Considering how much Yaba is in the country a few boxes of sinus medicine wouldn't be a factor even if you did have bad intentions.  

No, I don't manufacture meth, I have serious sinus trouble.  I've had 3 sinus surgeries and even my doctor told me to bring in the meds I need.  

Yeah, they're making meth (yaba) in Burma by the freaking ton, and Thailand has it's knickers in a twist about pseudoephedrine for personal use.  The logic truly escapes me.  The only option being is spending the money to go to a private or provincial hospital, but then you end up paying a ton of money for a very small amount of medicine.  Heck, I can't even get it at the local ampher hospital.  Pseudoephedrine is 'evil' and must be controlled lest the populace starts making backyard yaba. <headshake>  It's beyond belief.

Edited by connda

Several years ago pseudoephedrine was banned. It disappeared from pharmacies, including hospital pharmacies across the nation almost over-night. At that time it was said (don't remember who) that 5 tables or more could land you in prison. I have not heard of pseudoephedrine being allowed but last week my girlfriend was sold 10 tablets by a local hospital.

Sorry that the above does not contain much definitive information for your particular case, but it suggests that there is a good chance that if somebody happened to check you could be in for a lot of misery. Rather than guessing or taking the word of strangers over the internet, you might want to contact Thai customs directly.

http://en.customs.go.th/content_special.php?link=contact_form.php&lang=en&top_menu=menu_contactus

You may also want to download these two pdf files from the customs department

Click below to find out if your medication requires you to fill out the permit form.

http://permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th/Upload/guidance-for-travelers-to-thailand-version-2.1.pdf

Click below to fill out the form if you have identified from the guidelines that your medicine is a controlled substance.

http://permitfortraveler.fda.moph.go.th/Upload/Application for Carry In (IC-1).pdf

Edited by RickFarang

18 minutes ago, connda said:

Yeah, they're making meth (yaba) in Burma by the freaking ton, and Thailand has it's knickers in a twist about pseudoephedrine for personal use.  The logic truly escapes me.  The only option being is spending the money to go to a private or provincial hospital, but then you end up paying a ton of money for a very small amount of medicine.  Heck, I can't even get it at the local ampher hospital.  Pseudoephedrine is 'evil' and must be controlled lest the populace starts making backyard yaba. <headshake>  It's beyond belief.

pseudophedrine is actually a great medication. clears sinuses without drowsiness.

wish no one had discovered its use in making meth

40 minutes ago, atyclb said:

pseudophedrine is actually a great medication. clears sinuses without drowsiness.

wish no one had discovered its use in making meth

yeah! it just ain't right, for Sudafed to be given such a bad name... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Rule is: 30 day supply, labelled containers and if possible have a doctor's note or prescription with you but if note, as long as quantity is small and it is in original boxes/labelling should be OK.  Where you would get into real trouble would be if bringing in a suitcase full.

@Sheryl On that subject, I'm planning to stay in Thailand 2-3 months and bring a sufficient quantity of Lercandipine (1 per day for Blood Pressure).

They're in boxes of 28 (so i'll bring MAX 3 boxes), They're printed with my name and instructions and additionally I've asked my UK GP practice for an official letter showing it's prescribed medication

I imagine that even without the letter, I'll be OK....what do you think? 

Thanks.

Edited by VBF

VBF, I return to USA each year to bring back a one year's supply of 3/4 different meds. Never been questioned and my carry on was only X-rayed one time and no questions asked. You are worried about nothing.

Edited by kokopelli

2 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

VBF, I return to USA each year to bring back a one year's supply of 3/4 different meds. Never been questioned and my carry on was only X-rayed one time and no questions asked. You are worried about nothing.

Thanks. ?

Actually, that was pretty much what I thought, and a friend of mine does what you do (even more so with his medical needs) but Sheryl seems to be the "Guru" on things medicinal here on TV so never hurts to get informed opinions.

Obviously if not checked, anything gets through. It is in the unlikely (but possible) event of being checked that one wants to be prepared.

Technically the rule is 30 day supply. In practice they usually let a little more slide as ling as it looks condistent with persinal use and is not a controlled substance. 3 boxes of Lercandipine in clearly labelled boxes and with a doctor's note should be fine.

Worst case scenario, if they object to the quantity they will hold 2 of the 3 boxes in customs and you can reclaim on way out. But that is extremely unlikely to occur.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Obviously if not checked, anything gets through. It is in the unlikely (but possible) event of being checked that one wants to be prepared.

Technically the rule is 30 day supply. In practice they usually let a little more slide as ling as it looks condistent with persinal use and is not a controlled substance. 3 boxes of Lercandipine in clearly labelled boxes and with a doctor's note should be fine.

Worst case scenario, if they object to the quantity they will hold 2 of the 3 boxes in customs and you can reclaim on way out. But that is extremely unlikely to occur.

Thank you Sheryl ? - to be fair, in all my years of coming to Thailand (first in 1985) I've had my suitcase X-rayed once entering SUV and even then they didn't seem very interested!

Always carry all my medication in checked luggage all 7 months worth. This includes blood pressure and statin medication. The only ones I worry about are the high strength paracetomol/codeine boxes for my back pain. They would have a field day finding them. I bring with me my repeat prescription from the doctor.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VBF said:

@Sheryl On that subject, I'm planning to stay in Thailand 2-3 months and bring a sufficient quantity of Lercandipine (1 per day for Blood Pressure).

They're in boxes of 28 (so i'll bring MAX 3 boxes), They're printed with my name and instructions and additionally I've asked my UK GP practice for an official letter showing it's prescribed medication

I imagine that even without the letter, I'll be OK....what do you think? 

Thanks.

Lercandipine belongs to a class of medicine sold over the counter no rx in Thailand. anyone could buy a 5 year supply without issue.

Lercandipine belongs to a class of medicine sold over the counter no rx in Thailand. anyone could buy a 5 year supply without issue.

That is true, (of this and many other drugs) but by law you can only bring in 30 day supply. I believe the intent is to protect the lical pharm industry. In practice they do not count out numbers of tablets nor seem to mind 2-3 months worth as long as they believe it is for personal use. I have heard of seizure of amounts above that, though.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:
58 minutes ago, atyclb said:

That is true, (of this and many other drugs) but by law you can only bring in 30 day supply. I believe the intent is to protect the lical pharm industry. In practice they do not count out numbers of tablets nor seem to mind 2-3 months worth as long as they believe it is for personal use. I have heard of seizure of amounts above that, though.

interesting point.  curious about someone entering with a 1 year visa and having rx insurance back home that covered 1 year worth of rx prior to departure from home country.

18 hours ago, atyclb said:

interesting point.  curious about someone entering with a 1 year visa and having rx insurance back home that covered 1 year worth of rx prior to departure from home country.

Technically not allowed.

The official position being that if you live here you should buy your medications here.

But in practice, would depend on (1) whether bags checked and (2) the decision of the customs officer.

A number of TV members in this situation. Some have it mailed to themselves by regular post in small quantities at a time.

(Would not try this with a controlled substance, though).

• 3 months later...

Fyi, back in the US lately and went to a Target/CVS pharmacy to ck on pseudo... (Its been so many years, wasnt sure where the US was on pseudo these days...)

Upshot, was able to buy pseudo OTC just with my ID recorded, I presume, for quantity tracking puposes. No prescription needed.

But the interesting part that was totally new to me was, the package had a big symbol on it with the word METH and a disgonal line thru it, with the text "Tarex tamper resistant - Meth blocking technology."

The text explanation says whatever they're doing prevents more than 98% of the medicine quantity from potrntial conversion to meth.

So if that is really true and effective technology exists, why isnt it being used in Thailand and have the govt stop treating sinus sufferers like potential drug suspects?

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Fyi, back in the US lately and went to a Target/CVS pharmacy to ck on pseudo... (Its been so many years, wasnt sure where the US was on pseudo these days...)

Upshot, was able to buy pseudo OTC just with my ID recorded, I presume, for quantity tracking puposes. No prescription needed.

But the interesting part that was totally new to me was, the package had a big symbol on it with the word METH and a disgonal line thru it, with the text "Tarex tamper resistant - Meth blocking technology."

The text explanation says whatever they're doing prevents more than 98% of the medicine quantity from potrntial conversion to meth.

So if that is really true and effective technology exists, why isnt it being used in Thailand and have the govt stop treating sinus sufferers like potential drug suspects?

Not to mention clogging the hallways and waiting rooms of government hospitals with cold and allergy  sufferers. ????

My guess is that the technology hasn't made its way here yet. Hope it evenetually doers as this situation is absurd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not to mention clogging the hallways and waiting rooms of government hospitals with cold and allergy  sufferers. ????

My guess is that the technology hasn't made its way here yet. Hope it evenetually doers as this situation is absurd.

sri lanka government bans pseudofed but otc no rx morphine tablets freely available to purchase at pharmacies 

On 12/12/2018 at 11:00 AM, Sheryl said:

One of the interesting things about both of my pharmacy encounters in the U.S. was when in talking with the pharmacists on duty on both of my visits, I mentioned that the official supposed substitute for pseudo (phenylephrine) has never worked for me, and the pharmacists on both visits replied -- doesn't work for most other people also. So even the pharmacists aren't making a pretense of pretending that phenyl is a good or effective substitutute for pseudo. And yet, all the mainstream sinus meds have been reformulated in past years to use phenyl as the main active ingredient instead of pseudo.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK