Setup electrical power generator for small business in Thailand

ghworker2010

There are several threads in this forum on just this subject.

How much it costs depends upon how much you want to spend and how much you want to DIY.

From another thread it seems that Global House supply automatic start diesel gensets and the relevant transfer hardware for a DIY (or your local sparks) install although we don't currently know the actual costs.

Have a look at this thread 

The PEA regularly come to our hotel to let us know they'll be switching off the power all day tomorrow, in order to cut back trees, or swap out a transformer, or some such like. Makes my p:s$ boil, on the one hand it happens a lot, and on the other I don't find it sufficient to be informed at 17:00 HRS on the afternoon they'll be switching off the power. So, generators are a favourite subject of mine. Presently I only have a three phase diesel genset capable of running reception, restaurant, swimming pool pumps and other essential services. It's capable of cranking out around 50Kw per phase but it's old and doesn't work properly. I'd like to run the entire business on backup power but we have 4 transformers so realistically we'd need 4 generators to keep it simple. I've not convinced 'the money' that this investment is necessary yet.

In summary you need to calculate your power needs and diversity. Depending on the size of your business you might want to get a consultant in, this is a costly error if you get it wrong. If you're a very small enterprise, the key decisions (other than power needs) are petrol vs diesel, single phase vs three phase, noise a problem, noise not a problem.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1