Day trip to Ayutthaya

schweizer

Hi

I have family arriving in a few months and they have expressed an interest in visiting Ayutthaya.

we shall be staying in Bangkok and are considering a day trip, so expecting we will be there for about 5 or 6 hours can anyone suggest the best parts to visit, based on order of preference so we can get the most out of the day

most travel books etc cover whats there but don't list a best order in which to visit, just in case time is a problem with time

thanks for your help

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your replies, I will be traveling by car not boat

has anyone got actual knowledge of the place, thanks

Yes , I live in Ayutthaya

A bicycle tour is certainly the best way to see the sights which are mostly covered by the historical park.
The ancient city, now mostly ruins, covers a large area but it is all flat and very easy to get around if all members of your group are able to ride a bicycle of course.
You can hire a tuk tuk , or two , for the day and they will ferry you around to all the regular sights.
There is a floating market ( 200 baht entry for foreigners) and elephants nearby you can feed or take a ride if this takes your fancy.

Here is a bicycle map for guidance:

IMG_8683.JPG

25 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes , I live in Ayutthaya

A bicycle tour is certainly the best way to see the sights which are mostly covered by the historical park.
The ancient city, now mostly ruins, covers a large area but it is all flat and very easy to get around if all members of your group are able to ride a bicycle of course.
You can hire a tuk tuk , or two , for the day and they will ferry you around to all the regular sights.
There is a floating market ( 200 baht entry for foreigners) and elephants nearby you can feed or take a ride if this takes your fancy.

Here is a bicycle map for guidance:

IMG_8683.JPG

Thanks for the info, my mother will be there and at 83 probably past cycling, so maybe a tuk tuk would be best, it would be good to know in which order to visit based the list at the bottom are the highly recommended better?

Thanks for the info, my mother will be there and at 83 probably past cycling, so maybe a tuk tuk would be best, it would be good to know in which order to visit based the list at the bottom are the highly recommended better?

Okay, the above map is based on the optimum bicycle route. As that is now out of the question I’ll take a look and recommend the ones that I think will be most of interest to you.
There is one major Wat which is not mentioned on the bike map as it’s not within the historical park ( inside the river boundaries) and in my opinion is one of the major attractions.
Give me a day or two to create a list worthy of your visit.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, the above map is based on the optimum bicycle route. As that is now out of the question I’ll take a look and recommend the ones that I think will be most of interest to you.
There is one major Wat which is not mentioned on the bike map as it’s not within the historical park ( inside the river boundaries) and in my opinion is one of the major attractions.

thats great thanks very much for your help

Okay, as you will be coming from Bangkok you should approach Ayutthaya via Highway 32. After passing junction 16 you will see City Park Mall on your left ( unmistakable with the Robinsons/Lotus sign ) shortly after Big C.
Exit the 32 here, take a right then a left as if you are entering the Mall, on your left there are several Tuk Tuks waiting for tourists like yourself ( Robinson’s store will be on your right ). Park up in City Park and grab yourself a Tuk Tuk ( there is one with a Union Jack roof who is very friendly, I’ve used him myself).

X marks the Tuk Tuks

IMG_6258.JPG

First on your Tour should be:
Wat Chaimongkol which is close and on the way to Historical Park

IMG_6251.JPG

Then onto Historical Park where the vast majority of the old city ruins lie:

Wat Chai Wattana Ram is a large collection of ancient buildings in close proximity:

IMG_6252.JPG

Next Wat Mahathat:another collection of ruins featuring the Buddha head in the tree.

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6254.JPG

Next Wat Phra Sri Sanphet:

IMG_6255.JPG

Wat Thammikarat:

IMG_6256.JPG

Wat Lokayasutharam:

IMG_6257.JPG

I think after this lot you will be all “ templed “ out. !
But the ride in the Tuk Tuk and seeing the extent that the ancient city covers will be very interesting for your guests ( hopefully ).

A couple of recommendations:

You could save these photos on your phone in order to show the Tuk Tuk driver.

I would avoid Sunday if possible as it’s the busiest day and traffic can be tiresome.

If you parked in City Park or outside near the Tuk Tuks then on returning to Bangkok you should continue up the frontage road and take the slip road as if going onto 32 North ( sp Nakhon Sawan ). Before actually rejoining the Highway there is a U-turn bridge sign, try not to miss this as I believe it is the last U-turn bridge on this road and the other u-turns are under the Highway, few and far between and poorly marked.

Or if you are smart you can follow this map to get back on frontage road and turn right onto frontage road going past Big C and crossing the U-turn bridge which puts you back on 32 going south.
( X marks Tuk Tuk )

IMG_6259.JPG

( Frontage Road changes from 2 way to 1 way where you exit 32 Highway, causes all sorts of fun and games I can tell you )

Hopefully this will help you enjoy your day in Ayutthaya, if there is anything not clear or if you need more info please don’t hesitate to ask .

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, as you will be coming from Bangkok you should approach Ayutthaya via Highway 32. After passing junction 16 you will see City Park Mall on your left ( unmistakable with the Robinsons/Lotus sign ) shortly after Big C.
Exit the 32 here, take a right then a left as if you are entering the Mall, on your left there are several Tuk Tuks waiting for tourists like yourself ( Robinson’s store will be on your right ). Park up in City Park and grab yourself a Tuk Tuk ( there is one with a Union Jack roof who is very friendly, I’ve used him myself).

X marks the Tuk Tuks

IMG_6258.JPG

First on your Tour should be:
Wat Chaimongkol which is close and on the way to Historical Park

IMG_6251.JPG

Then onto Historical Park where the vast majority of the old city ruins lie:

Wat Chai Wattana Ram is a large collection of ancient buildings in close proximity:

IMG_6252.JPG

Next Wat Mahathat:another collection of ruins featuring the Buddha head in the tree.

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6254.JPG

Next Wat Phra Sri Sanphet:

IMG_6255.JPG

Wat Thammikarat:

IMG_6256.JPG

Wat Lokayasutharam:

IMG_6257.JPG

I think after this lot you will be all “ templed “ out. !
But the ride in the Tuk Tuk and seeing the extent that the ancient city covers will be very interesting for your guests ( hopefully ).

A couple of recommendations:

You could save these photos on your phone in order to show the Tuk Tuk driver.

I would avoid Sunday if possible as it’s the busiest day and traffic can be tiresome.

If you parked in City Park or outside near the Tuk Tuks then on returning to Bangkok you should continue up the frontage road and take the slip road as if going onto 32 North ( sp Nakhon Sawan ). Before actually rejoining the Highway there is a U-turn bridge sign, try not to miss this as I believe it is the last U-turn bridge on this road and the other u-turns are under the Highway, few and far between and poorly marked.

Or if you are smart you can follow this map to get back on frontage road and turn right onto frontage road going past Big C and crossing the U-turn bridge which puts you back on 32 going south.
( X marks Tuk Tuk )

IMG_6259.JPG

( Frontage Road changes from 2 way to 1 way where you exit 32 Highway, causes all sorts of fun and games I can tell you )

Hopefully this will help you enjoy your day in Ayutthaya, if there is anything not clear or if you need more info please don’t hesitate to ask .

that is really great and thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated, people like you make the world a better place

• Like 1

If you find that you ( or your guests) are tired of temples and just want a place to chill for a while and rest those aching feet I can more than recommend this place.

IMG_5401.JPG

30 km up Highway 32 , you can see the statue from the Highway.
Short walk down a single street market full of local delicacies ( we always buy 10 banana muffins, made in house) , a small food court with typical Thai food ( no KFC or Mickey D’s here !! ).
The statue is on an island in a small lake with a walkway.

IMG_1687.JPG

Very peaceful and relaxing and seemingly only locals, been there many times and never seen any foreigners.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thank you! I'm heading up next week. I'm going to take either the train or boat and stay overnight. Any hotel you recommend. My daughter is flying in from China and wants to go. You advice is truly appreciated.

Edited by Nyezhov

Thank you! I'm heading up next week. I'm going to take either the train or boat and stay overnight. Any hotel you recommend. My daughter is flying in from China and wants to go. You advice is truly appreciated.

I only ever stayed in one hotel ( Kantary ) when I was working here about 3 years ago, I’m guessing the day rate will be more than 2,000 baht, close to centre of Ayutthaya and the red light district! , so probably not appropriate for you and your daughter.
Many, many guesthouses here which will probably suit your needs better as will be more in the touristy area and most will offer bicycles or mc’s for rent.
One area which is popular with falangs and has many choices to stay is Market Chao Phrom or Soi Falang ( probably not its real name but only known as this locally).

I suggest you google this area to find something suitable for your budget.

Thanks! 

My kid is quite demanding and will want a pool and luxury because daddy is paying for it. Despite the fact that Daddy is retired and she makes three times as much money as Daddy does. Despite the further fact that when she travels on her own, all over Asia, she stays in hostels. But it's very hard for me to argue with a child who went to University and graduate school without costing me a dime, other than making me buy her drinks and fix her car. ???

Thanks! 
My kid is quite demanding and will want a pool and luxury because daddy is paying for it. Despite the fact that Daddy is retired and she makes three times as much money as Daddy does. Despite the further fact that when she travels on her own, all over Asia, she stays in hostels. But it's very hard for me to argue with a child who went to University and graduate school without costing me a dime, other than making me buy her drinks and fix her car. [emoji56][emoji56][emoji851]

Okay, I had envisioned you and her cycling round the ancient city on a couple of rusty old bikes rented from the local guesthouse but that seems unlikely now [emoji23]

As I said I only ever stayed in the Kantary , it has a sister hotel ( Classic Kameo ) nearby that I believe is good also.
There are a couple of Hotels on the river ( not surprisingly as Ayutthaya is surrounded by rivers) which I believe would be good but not having stayed there myself don’t want to recommend 100%.
If you are going to get a Tuk Tuk to give you a tour then the Kantary is very close to City Park ( and Tuk Tuks ) or the other place where Tuk Tuks gather is Soi Falang where the vans pick up and drop off.

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thanks! 

My kid is quite demanding and will want a pool and luxury because daddy is paying for it. Despite the fact that Daddy is retired and she makes three times as much money as Daddy does. Despite the further fact that when she travels on her own, all over Asia, she stays in hostels. But it's very hard for me to argue with a child who went to University and graduate school without costing me a dime, other than making me buy her drinks and fix her car. ???

There are a few other hotels, on the river and in the centre with multiple restaurants on the river as well that also provide dinner or lunch cruises for small and large groups.

These are all situated on the banks of the river that you have to cross by bridge when entering the old city...

Andrew his tour proposal is perfect...

Thanks guys! I'm too old and fat to be riding a bicycle anyway. Although I know the first words out of her mouth or going to be gee, let's rent a bicycle. 

No let's rent an air-conditioned limousine.

She hasn't even mentioned Ayyuthaya in the past week, she is focusing on Sephora in Siam. She is bringing an empty bag. Obviously, as we all know, Shanghai may be big and International, but the shopping is all in Bangkok

Thanks guys! I'm too old and fat to be riding a bicycle anyway. Although I know the first words out of her mouth or going to be gee, let's rent a bicycle. 

No let's rent an air-conditioned limousine.

She hasn't even mentioned Ayyuthaya in the past week, she is focusing on Sephora in Siam. She is bringing an empty bag. Obviously, as we all know, Shanghai may be big and International, but the shopping is all in Bangkok

Take the boat up and the train back. The boat ride is great, assuming you like boats...