Protein Powder

connda

I used to buy protein powder from Sandy's on the CM-Lamphun frontage road before 118, but it looks as though their store is closed or out of business as well as the nearby Rimping.  Unfortunate because they were conveniently located and had ample parking.  So now looking for a new place to purchase protein powder.  I'd rather buy from a local store as opposed to a mega-chain like GNC which are generally mall-based and overpriced.  Anyway, other suggestions? 

There's a Vita Xtrong shop on 107 chontana rd
107, Tambon Chang Phueak, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50300

https://goo.gl/maps/6vFUDWjdM3T2

Only 1 brand but it's fairly good stuff.

There's a sandy stall in airport plaza 2nd floor.

I think it's pharma plus that also sells some protein powders.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, flare said:

Sandy just recently opened a branch at Airport Plaza on the second floor (near Nike.)- did that close as well?

I haven't been to Airport Mall recently.  If they opened in the Mall though I'm not sure I'd want to buy there.  Most mall-based stores jack up the retail prices to cover that extra expense of renting in a mall.  I have a reason to go soon so I'll check it out.

33 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

There's a Vita Xtrong shop on 107 chontana rd
107, Tambon Chang Phueak, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50300

https://goo.gl/maps/6vFUDWjdM3T2

Only 1 brand but it's fairly good stuff.

There's a sandy stall in airport plaza 2nd floor.

I think it's pharma plus that also sells some protein powders.

VX is hit and miss.  Traffic-wise it a pain in the butt to get to (heavy traffic and one-way with limited ability to u-turn) and really limited parking.  I try to avoid that area.

58 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why don't you use the internet to buy protein powder ?

Fitwhey.com

clubprotein.com

I used them both .. cheaper than in malls.

Club Protein looks like a good option for future orders.  I can get whey protein for about 400+ THB less than most store-front shops.  :thumbsup: 

1 minute ago, connda said:

Club Protein looks like a good option for future orders.  I can get whey protein for about 400+ THB less than most store-front shops.  :thumbsup: 

The whey from club protein has no added flavor.. keep that in mind. I don't mind as i add stuff myself. I buy casein from fitwhey.

Club protein is always quite fast used them a lot. 

26 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Ok, thanks for the gratitude.

Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate the suggestion.  Thanks much!  It's just a tough place to get to in a car.  When I used to live in downtown Chiang Mai I'd use my motorcycle so dealing with traffic and parking wasn't a problem.  But nowadays I drive in from outside of Chiang Mai in a car and I try to steer clear of that area.   You drive all the way up there in that always hellish traffic on 107 and then find that there is no parking, it's frustrating.  :thumbsup:

1686999876_Screenshotfrom2018-09-0612-35-46.png.a4d0a7ec0c813260b9f354d0b0068fce.png

Edited by connda

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

The whey from club protein has no added flavor.. keep that in mind. I don't mind as i add stuff myself. I buy casein from fitwhey.

Club protein is always quite fast used them a lot. 

Actually, I'd rather have flavor free but haven't been able to find it in the past.  I'll make fruit shakes and add protein powder to that.  Much tastier imho!  And if I want something like chocolate or vanilla, I can put fresh cocoa powder or vanilla extract in a shake (or both).  So flavor-free is actually great!!!  I've currently reached the 'elderly' category so my lifting isn't anything like it was in past years.  I'm simply lifting to maintain lean muscle mass so my only need is whey protein and that in moderate amounts. Thanks much for the suggestion!  

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

there is a Sandy's past the central festival mall on the highway.  That little complex that has the Macdonald's there is a Sandy's there still

However I been picking up my protein lately on Lazada, I get the same protein on Lazada for 899 Baht and sent for free, usually takes two or three days to arrive.  The same protein at Sandy's is 1399 Baht

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 10:40 PM, hyku1147 said:

How does protein powder compare nutritionally to eggs and chicken breasts?

In my opinion it is always better to eat real food for protein.  I find protein useful when I am in a hurry or just looking for a quick shake with some berries after working out etc.  I would not rely on it as a meal replacement, once in a while sure that is okay but not frequently.  Real food is better! 

• Like 1

With respect for the religious zeal, and  (secret) tender feelings, of the members and initiates of the male cult of weight-lifting, with no offense intended to Zeus, Mars, Odin, Mithra, Murugan, Mixcoatl , Vulcan,  Ares, Thor, Sly Stallone, Arnold, The Hulk, et. al.:

You can get just as much protein ... from the same milk sources ,,, at less than half the cost of these over-hyped powders: and, this source is available locally in many stores.

Try Nestle Carnation infant formula for age 3+ ... I buy it by the case from Lazada. Mix with local fresh-made soy-milk for a very nutritious drink. In my case, this drink is literally life-sustaining.

in corpore sano, ~o:37;

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 4:46 PM, krey said:

In my opinion it is always better to eat real food for protein.  I find protein useful when I am in a hurry or just looking for a quick shake with some berries after working out etc.  I would not rely on it as a meal replacement, once in a while sure that is okay but not frequently.  Real food is better! 

The problem is attempting to eat 30 grams of high quality protein in one sitting within an hour of heavy resistance training.  For example, you would have to eat 8 large egg whites to get that amount.  Yeah, eggs are a better and a more complete protein, but downing a whey isolate shake is a heck of a lot more convenient.  This isn't really a 'meal replacement' as it is getting sufficient protein in your body at the optimal time to maximize protein synthesis.   Personally I only use it after resistance training which is two or three times a week. 

3 hours ago, connda said:

The problem is attempting to eat 30 grams of high quality protein in one sitting within an hour of heavy resistance training.

I don't mean to divert the thread, or challenge you: I'm just genuinely curious about the evidence this practice is beneficial. Doesn't your body need rest and recuperation after a heavy work-out, with maybe just lots of liquid, and a few carbs, maybe some electrolytes ... won't a major protein intake in a short period of time interfere with recuperation by increasing blood flow to the digestive system, etc. ?

cheers, ~o:37;

On 9/19/2018 at 9:27 PM, orang37 said:

I don't mean to divert the thread, or challenge you: I'm just genuinely curious about the evidence this practice is beneficial. Doesn't your body need rest and recuperation after a heavy work-out, with maybe just lots of liquid, and a few carbs, maybe some electrolytes ... won't a major protein intake in a short period of time interfere with recuperation by increasing blood flow to the digestive system, etc. ?

cheers, ~o:37;

Hope you have no aversion to reading scientific literature as opposed to some dumbed-down main-stream news article.  I prefer the former.  There is more literature on scientific studies in this area, but I'll leave it to you to search for it on your own if you're so inclined. Here's your starting point.   Bon apatite!

Timing of postexercise protein intake is important for muscle hypertrophy with resistance training in elderly humans

Here's the bottom line - "timing" means within a short window of time after resistance training.

"In conclusion, this study investigated the importance of the timing of protein intake after each exercise bout over 12 weeks of resistance training on morphological and strength characteristics of skeletal muscle in elderly individuals. Based on the findings in the present study it appears that the timing of protein intake after strength training bouts can be important for protein synthesis and hypertrophy of skeletal muscle in elderly individuals..."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2278776/

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 5:57 PM, connda said:

The problem is attempting to eat 30 grams of high quality protein in one sitting within an hour of heavy resistance training.  For example, you would have to eat 8 large egg whites to get that amount.  Yeah, eggs are a better and a more complete protein, but downing a whey isolate shake is a heck of a lot more convenient.  This isn't really a 'meal replacement' as it is getting sufficient protein in your body at the optimal time to maximize protein synthesis.   Personally I only use it after resistance training which is two or three times a week. 

yes the convenient factor is why I buy it.  I have just seen people actually rely on it, like 2 or 3 meals a day is a shake and not real food.  I usually have one shake a day after a workout around lunch time with some frozen berries and a handful of almonds.. but that would be my only time I use it and that wouldnt be every day but 3 or 4 times a week.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

The cheapest protein isolate I have seen in Thailand works out to 1 baht per gram of protein.

You can get 1g of protein from eggs in Thailand for 50 satang or 1g of protein from peanuts for 25 satang.

The issue for me is convenience and not price (and I only speak from myself considering I'm the OP of this thread).  As I mentioned before, a 12 oz protein and fruit shake is easy to carry to the gym than 8 egg whites, the 12 oz shake is easier to consume than wolfing down 8 bland eggs white, and it's easier to transport.  Simple!

18 hours ago, connda said:

... important for muscle hypertrophy ... with resistance training in elderly humans

I stopped reading right there: hypertrophy as a goal is a health risk, and almost always reflects some distortion of body-image and related psychological and sexual issues. And, for the "elderly," dangerous, as well as just plain absurd.

There are many better ways to be fit, to protect your health, maintain physical and mental and physical energy, strengthen your immune system, avoid typical age-related issues like lower-back pain, etc. And, lots of good science to demonstrate the benefits of those ways, which include weight-training.

By, the way, this primate meat-package in which both human and orangutan mind/souls cohabit does lift weights, at a physical age of about 1050 moons ... carefully, wisely.

~o:37;

13 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit.

The complete quote from Oscar Wilde: "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.”

Edited by orang37
memory recovered after alien abduction
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

"Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/

That's an excellent article that clearly debunks many of the myths in vogue among members of the hypertrophy-cult as they offer their fear of aging, and sweat, at the shrine of the god anabol, and calls into question many of the current fads.

• Haha 1

:clap2: Omg!  Ok kids, I work out twice a week to maintain lean muscle mass.  Drinking a protein drink before and after workout seems like a good idea and is backed by enough science to satisfy me.  My 'sexy man with a hot body' days are over, and Mrs. Connda would kick any gal's butt who came on to me because I had a sexy body.  Lol.  Me and Right Said Fred. "I'm too sexy for my shirt...!  Enough said on my part.  Robblok thanks for the tip.  I'll leave the thread for those who wish to duke it out about weight lifting, protein. timing, and whatever the heck ya'll want to talk about.  Bye!!!  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

If you're trying to eat 5-7 (seven is tough;)) small meals per day to build muscle mass, added one or two protein shakes to the mix is about the only way to do it.  Shakes (and some simple foods like egg whites) are digested in a couple hours or less (and you can have one before heading to the gym without feeling full and bloated).  Shakes are 'supplements' that should be used in addition to regular meals, not 'replacements' (unless you're on some sort of weight-loss diet, and even then they're not the best nutritional choice)- for convenience, they're hard to beat.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:42 PM, connda said:

Timing of postexercise protein intake is important for muscle hypertrophy with resistance training in elderly humans

Here's the bottom line - "timing" means within a short window of time after resistance training.

"timing of protein intake after strength training bouts can be important for protein synthesis and hypertrophy of skeletal muscle in elderly individuals..."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2278776/"

I read the article, thanks ! I see the use of the word "hypertrophy" in this research as simply referring to increased muscle strength and tone (the enlargement just a secondary effect). That is very different than the "hypertrophy" that members of the body-building-testosterone cult aim for, and for which the protein-overdose dietary practices on this thread are referring to.

Professional athletes, performers, etc. : different ball-park.