Elon Musk 'to be sued in Thailand, London and US’ by cave diver he called 'paedo' in baseless remark

webfact

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

That is not true .

Maybe not true, BUT unfortunately very often the reality….

Edited by ttrd

11 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

Your forgetting that the man who can afford the best lawyer wins, not who is right legally.

S'all good, man. Unsworth has one of the top libel and defamation lawyers in the US fighting his corner... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Lin_Wood

Edited by lamyai3
Saul Goodman, geddit?

Musk is paying for his lawyers up front. Unsworth isnt. And Musk has potential criminal fish to fry in another matter.

If I had an investment in his company, I would be looking somewhere else.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

Your forgetting that the man who can afford the best lawyer wins, not who is right legally. Musk wins.

I think it might be more accurate to say that the man who has the best lawyer usually wins - but in this case, that appears to be Unsworth. As lamyai3 pointed out, L. Lin Wood is one of the best libel, defamation and First Amendment lawyers in the US and so probably better than whoever Musk has representing him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I think it might be more accurate to say that the man who has the best lawyer usually wins - but in this case, that appears to be Unsworth. As lamyai3 pointed out, L. Lin Wood is one of the best libel, defamation and First Amendment lawyers in the US and so probably better than whoever Musk has representing him.  

Plus he probably realises that he has a good case against Musk - easy money by his standards! However, I personally think that Musk will eventually be persuaded to settle out of court. 

On 9/11/2018 at 7:23 PM, owl sees all said:

Especially if Musky has some inside info'!!

What kind of 'inside info'? BuzzFeed has a staff of some 20 investigative reporters. They looked into Unsworth's background, checking with the authorities in both the UK and Thailand, including talking to Thai immigration and checking for any signs of a criminal record in either country. They could find not a single shred of evidence to back up any of Musk's claims.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Plus he probably realises that he has a good case against Musk - easy money by his standards! However, I personally think that Musk will eventually be persuaded to settle out of court. 

If he has any smarts he would, a sincere written and published apology along with a undisclosed big fat cheque, the alternative is to have it dragged thru' the courts. To Unsworth it makes no difference either way as he wins. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

If he has any smarts he would, a sincere written and published apology along with a undisclosed big fat cheque, the alternative is to have it dragged thru' the courts. To Unsworth it makes no difference either way as he wins. 

Unsworth is an older man than musk, I'm sure he doesn't want to spend the next few years of his retired life defending himself against pedofile allegations 

I wouldn't say its win/win for the stress factor but it's a sure win for the money

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

As I mentioned earlier, Unsworth has not lived in Thailand more or less permanently for half a life time. His lawyers have stated in court papers that he made his first trip to Thailand in 2011 - a fact they would hardly have stipulated to if they were not sure of it.

It has also been stated in several previous newspaper articles that he spends about half the year in England and half in Thailand - staying with his girlfriend in Chiang Rai. That being the case, I would say there's a reasonably good chance that he's never been to Pattaya.

I also think there seems to be a basic misconception about what the phrase "stick his submarine where it hurts" really meant. First of all, it's a decidedly less offensive version of the relatively common colloquial British expression, "You can stick your [whatever] up your *rse." 

Aside from the somewhat colourful language in the original expression (which Unsworth made a point of not using) it is simply a way of indicating your disdain for a particular thing. It is not meant to be taken in any way literally, nor is it (as Musk claimed) an invitation to perform a sexual act.

For instance, try Googling "You can stick your independence up your *rse." You'll find a number of YouTube videos with this title, which were made around the time of the Scottish independence referendum. Independence is a concept, so it can't be physically inserted anywhere. Same with the Royal Wedding, you'll find a number of videos where people express their feelings about it using the same expression. Again, you can't insert a wedding into a bodily orifice. Although not the politest way of talking, it's a colloquialism, nothing more.

RE - I also think there seems to be a basic misconception about what the phrase "stick his submarine where it hurts" really meant. First of all, it's a decidedly less offensive version of the relatively common colloquial British expression, "You can stick your [whatever] up your *rse."

I believe it also Count in what setting you present such an Expression which will not be to Vernons advantage.

Also of importance to not forget that it was Vernon who throw the first punch

The cultural excuse falls on its own absurdity the same second you present it live for the world as if not Musk could claim the same for his expressions.…. 

It appears the biggest problem would be preventing Musk from making further future allegations. He already issued one apology under pressure from his Board....only to resume accusations a month or so later.

He does not appear to be capable of controlling himself.

May need a cease and desist order from a judge .

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, ttrd said:

RE - I also think there seems to be a basic misconception about what the phrase "stick his submarine where it hurts" really meant. First of all, it's a decidedly less offensive version of the relatively common colloquial British expression, "You can stick your [whatever] up your *rse."

I believe it also Count in what setting you present such an Expression which will not be to Vernons advantage.

Also of importance to not forget that it was Vernon who throw the first punch

The cultural excuse falls on its own absurdity the same second you present it live for the world as if not Musk could claim the same for his expressions.…. 

"You can stick your [whatever] up your *rse."

Another less offensive comment OFTEN used is :- "You can shove it!" -  leaving the statement unfinished, but leaving the recipient in no doubt as to its meaning! (However, sometimes the statement is completed by  "where the sun don't (doesn't) shine!")

In any case, IMHO, the comment was an off the cuff remark which in no way deserved the venomous and unsubstantiated accusations by Musk, and just because he is a billionaire doesn't give him the right to shout his mouth off with whatever unsubstantiated abuse happens to spring to mind at the time.

Basically, as I (and others) have said before, Musk may be a very successful businessman, but I think the the pressure is getting too much for him, ("Losing the plot?") and he needs a break before HE himself breaks!

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What kind of 'inside info'? BuzzFeed has a staff of some 20 investigative reporters. They looked into Unsworth's background, checking with the authorities in both the UK and Thailand, including talking to Thai immigration and checking for any signs of a criminal record in either country. They could find not a single shred of evidence to back up any of Musk's claims.

Yes, the whole idea of Musk having insider information in this situation is absurd. He even made the comment that he had no idea who Unsworth was, and hadn't seen him around the site at all while he was there. It was plainly obvious it was nothing more than a hot headed reaction after seeing Unsworth have the audacity to diss his sub in a high profile CNN interview.

As has already been documented, Unsworth wasn't the first one to say the contraption was unsuitable, so it's not even really true that he started the argument. Musk was already riled by the Chiang Rai governor's comments (reported by the BBC) to the extent that he publicly attacked the rescue chief's credentials, so by the time the CNN interview was aired the world was already baffled by this mad scientist's behaviour. This was all happening at the time when the whole world was heaping nothing but praise and admiration on the successful outcome of the rescue, so if Musk had kept his comments and ego in check he'd have come out of this looking like a winner too, regardless of whether or not the sub was used.