Public warned against paying for 'romantic' gifts

webfact

35 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

That statement sounds like it comes from a very "naieve" person.

Exactly the type of people that get caught up in these scams?

You might be right about the 'naive' bit.

When I was 10 I swopped half a mars bar for a 'champion conker' that broke in two the first time I used it.

Bummer.

18 hours ago, Vacuum said:

How about warning gullible farangs to by houses, cars, motorcycles etc. for their newfound love?  But the money 'invested' will of course stay in Thailand, so no harm done.

Then if you live in Thailand with your newfound love: is there anything to regret?

18 hours ago, Vacuum said:

How about warning gullible farangs to by houses, cars, motorcycles etc. for their newfound love?  But the money 'invested' will of course stay in Thailand, so no harm done.

Try the Sin Sod payments on top of that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Borzandy said:

The real problem about these "romantic gifts" is the money is going out Thailand.

Yes, and it's also a problem for me. 

I was scammed out of 10,000 EUR when I emigrated to Thailand, but my money when to the UK instead of Thailand where it was meant to be invested. 

Guess these scammers are only copying a common Western business model.

23 minutes ago, overherebc said:

When I was 10 I swopped half a mars bar for a 'champion conker' that broke in two the first time I used it.

Bummer.

Such experiences can scar a person for life. Decades later it comes back to haunt you and you'll carry the memory to your grave ?

I do not even know how one even begins to feel affection for someone they met online, but have never met in person, much less send them all kinds of cash. It boggles my mind. One or two exchanges, are we going to meet, when, and where? And I am giving you 30 minutes. Over coffee. This is an audition. Nothing more. Lets get on with it.

I see guys falling head over heels for women they met online. They invest hundreds of hours calling and texting, with someone they never met. And 90% of the time, when they meet, there is no spark. Duh. 

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

I find it difficult to believe anyone in any country can be stupid enough to fall for this idea.

I think some of this is made up for good PR.. 
Plus the amounts recovered always seem to be heavily discounted..

Perhaps they take the finders fee off?

11 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I think some of this is made up for good PR.. 
Plus the amounts recovered always seem to be heavily discounted..

Perhaps they take the finders fee off?

The figures they refer to are what my post is really about.

Recently I had a parcel of 'romantic car parts' sent from UK valued at £1000 and was charged 5000 baht on it.

Use those figures to work out the value of a romantic gift where customs want 100,000 baht to be paid on it.

How romantic can you get????

20 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I don't. Lately I've been renovating an old house, the IQ of the attending somchais must be four digits in the minus. The longer I stay here the more convinced I become the majority of Thais are not equipped with a fully functioning brain.

They have the hardwear but due to the appalling Thai education system, they dont have the softwear, i.e., they have brains but they are not taught how to use them.  And more worryingly this also applies to those running the country, unless they have been educated overseas!

Education, education, education! Or, rather lack of it!

This is such a good scam because there are so many naive and ignorant women out there who continue to fall for the obvious. 
Greed + Loneliness = 'Mark par Excellent!!!'  A fool and her money are soon parted.

20 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I don't. Lately I've been renovating an old house, the IQ of the attending somchais must be four digits in the minus. The longer I stay here the more convinced I become the majority of Thais are not equipped with a fully functioning brain.

Taken you a long time on my first visit to Thailand some 25 yrs ago, as a two week tourist I realised the whole Thai nation haven’t got a brain the size of a pea between them. Thick as shit.

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Bummer.

That was paying well over the odds.