Top aides scurry to disavow NYTimes opinion piece, Trump jets to rally

webfact

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

THis wasn't whistle blowing about an illegal act. Rather it was an admission of sabotage and betrayal. This isn't going to be protected by the 1st Amendment.

In reality, it probably is whistle blowing in general about a bunch of illegalities that have occurred among Trump and his gang. Obstruction of justice, conspiracy, lying.

But that clearly wasn't the purpose of the op-ed piece. The purpose was to illuminate just what kind of president the U.S. has, and how dangerous and demented he is to the country, its democracy and its well-being, as most clear-thinking people already pretty much have concluded.

As for the opinion piece itself:

1. the NYT wouldn't have published it as an anonymous piece unless it was from a very senior official with direct contact/exposure with Trump.

2. the NYT as the nation's newspaper of record, after promising confidentiality and knowing they would be going up against Trump, wouldn't have promised it and published the piece unless they were committed to keep their promise, no matter what.

• Like 1

"Some officials interviewed by The Daily Beast cheered the underlying message of the anonymously written op-ed. But several worried about its lasting impact, beyond provoking a familiar Washington parlor game: outing a dissenter. There was even a fear that the op-ed would hand Trump a pretext to purge his administration of the very bureaucratic scapegoats the op-ed writer portrayed as being crucial to saving America from Trump. "

https://amp.thedailybeast.com/we-see-ourselves-as-rebels-trumps-internal-resistance-celebrates?__twitter_impression=true

This week has seen impeachment under the 25th Ammendment placed in the news and into mainstream political discourse.

Sen. Sally Warren (D) has now called for White House officials to invoke the 25th and begin the process of removing Trump.

Trump supporters will of course ignore the views of Warren, a Democrat, but their denials are not the issue.

The public discourse is now hearing ‘Impeachment under the 25th’.

Voters across America will be hearing that in the context of Trump’s behavior and the continual stream of leaks concerning the state of his mind coming from his WH.

Anything Trump does Now is simply prolonging his suffering.

Illiberals get your denial glasses on, the truth will (despite Trump’s best efforts) out!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

First lady is spot on with this Twitter.

Cowardly gutless people  resort to things like this when the are losing. They cannot stand to be on the losing end and will do what ever it takes to make others look bad. 

"...on the losing end"...???  This person is a part of Trump's Administration.  What "losing" are you referring to?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This week has seen impeachment under the 25th Ammendment placed in the news and into mainstream political discourse.

Sen. Sally Warren (D) has now called for White House officials to invoke the 25th and begin the process of removing Trump.

Trump supporters will of course ignore the views of Warren, a Democrat, but their denials are not the issue.

The public discourse is now hearing ‘Impeachment under the 25th’.

Voters across America will be hearing that in the context of Trump’s behavior and the continual stream of leaks concerning the state of his mind coming from his WH.

Anything Trump does Now is simply prolonging his suffering.

Illiberals get your denial glasses on, the truth will (despite Trump’s best efforts) out!

Politically it is a bold move by Warren. The dems refused to talk about impeachment before, most likely so that they have a better chance of taking the house and senate after the midterms. Impeachment talk may rally Trump's base. And without a majority there will not be an impeachment anyway. What's also understood is that if Trump is either removed or resigns Pence will take over. And then he will have a decent change to be potus for the next 6+ years. Even with Pence implicated in the entire Russia thing als also out of the picture, Paul Ryan as speaker of the house will be the next president. 

None of these outcomes are favorable to the dems. So there best bet was to wait after the midterms with any impeachment proceedings, so they can force both Trump and Pence out, and a democratic speaker would take over the presidency. He/she would likely pick Clinton as VP, and soon after taking office would resign. Then would make Hillary the potus. The full release of the Mueller report showing Trump's and many of his enablers' misdeeds would prevent too much public outrage.

So looking at all the above speculation, the person who wrote the piece in the NYT decided to thwart that plan, by bringing the timeline of impeachment forward prior to the midterms. The only one to gain from this would be Paul Ryan! With a successful impeachment he will become president, and with a failed impeachment or process past the midterm elections at least the republicans showed they still put country before party, and may keep majority of either Congress or Senate.

i just don't know why Warren took the bait though. 

3 hours ago, Morch said:

Allow me to doubt you ever held a "senior position". Nothing in your posts recommends such a notion. Another indication would be the inability to focus - as in replying to the point. My post wasn't about your "draft-gate" nonsense, but rather on expressing selective outrage on things related to Trump (while claiming not to be a supporter).

I could not care less what you think about my "position" but you would be surprised. Now concentrate, difficult for you I know, on the issue. The letter was a draft not to be signed ergo...?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, helpisgood said:

You failed to address my question. 

And, I am sure you got drafts.  However, you were not the boss at the White House.  Heck, I wouldn't even touch a discarded Big Mac wrapper off of Trump's desk or even my own previous bosses' desks, without their permission.  It's on the president's desk for his imprimatur, not open for "deliberation."  

You also failed to mention the following:

"Cohn made a similar play to prevent Trump from pulling the United States out of the North American Free Trade Agreement...Under orders from the president, Porter drafted a notification letter withdrawing from NAFTA. But he and other advisers worried that it could trigger an economic and foreign relations crisis. So Porter consulted Cohn, who told him, according to Woodward: “I can stop this. I’ll just take the paper off his desk.”" 

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a22984425/bob-woodward-donald-trump-aides-steal-off-desk/

In other words, don't even let the president even get the chance to read it for "deliberation."  They don't seem to have much confidence in this guy.  And yeah, he did steal the letter.  That's the point!  Cohn was willing to steal it because he and others feared Trump advancing such a discussion. 

No touchdown.  Illegal procedure. 

Some fair points but you understand that this has been 'spinned' into "prevent POTUS signing" when you accept this is impossible with a draft. There are many iterations before policy is determined and a final letter goes out.

I'd like to hear Cohn and Porter on this as they are admitting to theft from the POTUS office. Have they confirmed?  If Cohn confirms he stole it then fair enough I accept his word but he only stole a draft is my point and it stopped nothing.

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well I will admit to enjoying the bad news about Trump.

Both it’s sordid details confirming what I already thought of him and the sheer quantity of bad news.

It’s a constant stream of delighted upon which there is the sweetness of observing illiberals trying ever harder to deny reality.

Yes we all know about TDS. Have you talked to a doctor about your mental health issues. I am sure you can return to some level of normalcy with treatment. 

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MajarTheLion said:

How does anyone know this poorly-written opinion piece was written by a Trump official? And if so, what does "senior official" mean? Head janitor?

My liberal BS meter is going off the charts. Nonetheless, this latest, desperate "get Trump!" move isn't going to do anything.

I guess ignorance is bliss ?.  This won’t to anything about what?

44 minutes ago, MajarTheLion said:

Amen to that. Leftists are literally going insane over Donald Trump at this point. The kook protesters at Kavanaugh's hearing are yet even more evidence of that. Frankly, some of them literally look like they need to be in an asylum. It's hilarious that Democrats don't understand these nut cases make them look bad.

04-cavanaugh-protestor-thrown-out.w700.h467.jpg

.jpg

Look at the people at Trump rallies ?  the type of people that should be targeted in call center scams.  White trash that don’t want to learn a new trade or anything that the new economy requires.  The liberals should pay for trips to other countries to pop their ignorance bubbles

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I could not care less what you think about my "position" but you would be surprised. Now concentrate, difficult for you I know, on the issue. The letter was a draft not to be signed ergo...?

My post had nothing to with your contrived "draft" drama, but dealt with expressing selective outrage. Deflect away.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

As Trump flew to Billings, Montana, for a rally where he was likely to rip into the article, more of his top advisers joined the crowd denying any responsibility for its authorship.

More like Cry Baby Trump appeared at the rally. Blubbering and moaning to his followers.

"There going to impeach me."

"Waah Waah!"

"And it will be all your guys fault!"

"You need to protect me from those awful Democrats!"

"Waah Waah!"

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Morch said:

My post had nothing to with your contrived "draft" drama, but dealt with expressing selective outrage. Deflect away.

Contrived?  my point is substantive and valid. No one signs draft letters and so Woodward's claim 'letter waiting to be signed' is blatantly wrong. Drafts are iterative. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Silurian said:

More like Cry Baby Trump appeared at the rally. Blubbering and moaning to his followers.

"There going to impeach me."

"Waah Waah!"

"And it will be all your guys fault!"

"You need to protect me from those awful Democrats!"

"Waah Waah!"

He said "if they win they might impeach me and it will be your fault as you did not get out to vote". Totally different meaning and you are trolling.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

He said "if they win they might impeach me and it will be your fault as you did not get out to vote". Totally different meaning and you are trolling.

I’m impressed with your certainty in what he said, I myself had great difficulty understanding his slurred speach.

He didn’t sound at all well.

• Like 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m impressed with your certainty in what he said, I myself had great difficulty understanding his slurred speach.

That's true he sounds like the megalomaniac that's out of control that he is but... we should report fairly. That was what I heard him say. Basically it's your fault if they win and I get impeached because you didn't go and vote. MSM is spinning it and taking it out of context. In my view if the left focused and forgot the 'noise and bluster' they should easily be able to take him out in 2020 with a good, balanced, candidate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Some people hear a person with a pre- or post-stroke/Alzheimer mumbling and some people hear a whiny little beotch. A matter of perspective.

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Contrived?  my point is substantive and valid. No one signs draft letters and so Woodward's claim 'letter waiting to be signed' is blatantly wrong. Drafts are iterative. 

Contrived. As in you focus on a minute detail, and try to paint it as the make-or-break of this story. Here's for better deflection in the future. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

Contrived. As in you focus on a minute detail, and try to paint it as the make-or-break of this story. Here's for better deflection in the future. Cheers.

What's contrived? its a draft that's not a deflection it's an observation.  You're just trolling.

Edited by BobBKK

14 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

You think POTUS signs drafts?  "stopping POTUS signing it" has been the liberal screams.  Please stop harassing and trolling me.

I'm not the one casting it as "draft-gate", you are. Basically you take one element of a single instance, apply your assertions and ignore anything else. But do go on about trolling, by all means...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Morch said:

I'm not the one casting it as "draft-gate", you are. Basically you take one element of a single instance, apply your assertions and ignore anything else. But do go on about trolling, by all means...

You miss the point. A draft is iterative why steal it?  another updated version comes along soon.  

Just now, BobBKK said:

You miss the point. A draft is iterative why steal it?  another updated version comes along soon.  

Actually, another draft would only come along if the President responds to the one on his desk. If that disappears, given his limited attention span and general ignorance,  there's a good chance he would never notice and the issue would just disappear.

• Like 2