Dual band wi-fi: USB dongles v. plug in cards

NanLaew

I am considering upgrades to the family gaming desktop and my 5 year old laptop to use the 5 Ghz wi-fi option that my routers provide.

The desktop has a regular Zycel 2.4 GHz NIC. I am assuming that changing that up to a card that also handles the 5 GHz band, the kids can get a better, faster gaming experience. Correct?

Is a plug-in USB type 5 GHz network adapter a better option?

For the laptop, the USB dongle is the only way to go so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

NL

CAT cabling is an option but not a preference right now. Although the house was built with CAT5 (10 years ago?) outlets in each room, the actual wiring was never run since wi-fi was good enough and the wiring job went on a back-burner, then we moved away. It might be one of those jobs to do in the cooler months while I'm idle. I assume that the wall-mounted Haco brand LAN connectors will be OK and I just need to use CAT6 cable behind them?

The distance between the router and desktop is about 12 m through one, regular red-brick, cement-faced, interior wall. I will stick the router(s) up high in the corner of the master bedroom to see what signal improvement I get.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Depending on how far away from your router the laptop is, a 20 metre CAT6 cable from Lazada @ Bht 210 is far faster than any WiFI......1000Mb/s.

It's 1000Mbs max if the router is a gigabit router. If not, he will get 100Mbs making the wifi a better option.

23 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

It will support up to 1300Mb/s but that depends on what you put into it, as you said previously. I think most modern routers are Gigabit outputs.