Parmesan Cheese? I don't think so.

giddyup

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Thai translation issues?  

There is English on the label as well, doesn't say it there either. I'm not being pedantic, I just think if Parmesan is the main ingredient that should be spelled out clearly. The taste is certainly no indication.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There is English on the label as well, doesn't say it there either.

It does in the link I provided - for some reason I can not copy and post here but the cheese is listed first in the ingredient list which by law means it is the primary content.  

3 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Nobody mentioned that Kraft was in trouble last year for putting cellulose, i.e. sawdust, in their green containers of Parmesan so why pick on this company that practises the same thing.  Incidentally, Parmesan Reggiano and other Parmesan cheeses are from the parma region of Italy, including Modena, Bologna, and Matua.  Grana Padano comes from all over the Po region and contains less fat content than Parmigiano and is given more time to mature.

Anybody who buys any cheese in those cylinders, regardless of the type of cheese, should first read the label then buy the real thing, which is far superior, is not blended with cellulose, etc., works out to be cheaper when grated onto your pasta, etc., and as pointed out, can be safely stored in the refrigerator.

'nuf sed

In agreement with you.  Grating your own is easy and the quality, smell, taste and melt-ability is superior. If you want it to stay easy to shake put a bit of cornstarch in it. 

Edited by marcusarelus

Just now, wotsdermatter said:

Nobody mentioned that Kraft was in trouble last year for putting cellulose, i.e. sawdust, in their green containers of Parmesan so why pick on this company that practises the same thing. 

If I'd bought Kraft and it didn't clearly identify the contents, my post would be Kraft related.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It does in the link I provided - for some reason I can not copy and post here but the cheese is listed first in the ingredient list which by law means it is the primary content.  

Primary could mean 51%, the percentage should be identified.

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I mainly use Parmesan on top of my pizza sauce before the other cheeses go on my Pizza.  I wonder if after the sauce, and pepper and sausage and other cheeses if I can tell the difference.  

I doubt if you would still be able to taste the Redwood Farm, it's pretty bland.

12 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

☺️

Olive oil

Garlic clove(s) (chopped )

Chopped tomatoes

Oregano (dried )

Basil (dried)

Unrefined molasses sugar

Black pepper (ground)

Sea Salt

Sour dough crust from my own sour dough starter and the pizza dough ferments at room temp for 18 hours.

Sausage 

ground pork collar steak
    red wine vinegar
    salt
    cracked black pepper
    dried parsley
    garlic powder
    onion powder
dried basil
Smoked paprika
crushed red pepper flakes

Cooked with sauteed red onions in butter

Fresh Italian Mozzarella and 3 different hard cheeses

Fresh basil leaves

Do you think I can tell what kind of Parmesan?

Makro also sells decent pepperoni if you want to buy the whole stick 900 baht and slice it yourself.

The Italian Pizza flour at Makro comes out in little balls necessitating you sift it which is odd.  Maybe it's old. 

Edited by marcusarelus

25 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Nobody mentioned that Kraft was in trouble last year for putting cellulose, i.e. sawdust, in their green containers of Parmesan so why pick on this company that practises the same thing.  Incidentally, Parmesan Reggiano and other Parmesan cheeses are from the Parma region of Italy, including Modena, Bologna, and Matua.  Grana Padano comes from all over the Po region and contains less fat content than Parmigiano and is given more time to mature.

Anybody who buys any cheese in those cylinders, regardless of the type of cheese, should first read the label then buy the real thing, which is far superior, is not blended with cellulose, etc., works out to be cheaper when grated onto your pasta, etc., and as pointed out, can be safely stored in the refrigerator.

'nuf sed

You are getting your maturities mixed up. Grana Padano matures more quickly than Parmigiano Reggiano. 

Grana Padano can be certified at nine months. Parmigiano Reggiano, twelve months.

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Olive oil

Garlic clove(s) (chopped )

Chopped tomatoes

Oregano (dried )

Basil (dried)

Unrefined molasses sugar

Black pepper (ground)

Sea Salt

Sour dough crust from my own sour dough starter and the pizza dough ferments at room temp for 18 hours.

Sausage 

ground pork collar steak
    red wine vinegar
    salt
    cracked black pepper
    dried parsley
    garlic powder
    onion powder
dried basil
Smoked paprika
crushed red pepper flakes

Cooked with sauteed red onions in butter

Fresh Italian Mozzarella and 3 different hard cheeses

Fresh basil leaves

Do you think I can tell what kind of Parmesan?

Makro also sells decent pepperoni if you want to buy the whole stick 900 baht and slice it yourself.

The Italian Pizza flour at Makro comes out in little balls necessitating you sift it which is odd.  Maybe it's old. 

I have no idea as to why you have listed those ingredients. Is there some relevance?

What is "Fresh Italian Mozzarella"? Is it something you bought in a supermarket in Big C? In brine or already grated?

Which three different hard cheeses?

Olive oil? Is that Extra Virgin Olive Oil? From whence? Spain?

Dried basil? Why not fresh herbs? 

Throwing that cheesy powder on to your food, negates any good work that you may have done.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I have real Parmesan in a jar that I grate.  It is whiter and has a more stinky smell (Thai description).  The Redwood stuff is a finer grind than I use and more of a yellow color.  I think Makro sells Stella.  Not sure.  Foodland has the Parmesan wedge from Italy.

stella.JPG

No my friend. That is not 'Parmesan'. Much less "real Parmesan".

Even ignoring that it was made in the USA, real 'Parmesan' is matured for a minimum of twelve months. That thing is matured for ten months. Closer to a Grana Padano.

Then likely there are very many other regulations that are likely flouted in making this cheese.

It's just a travesty that they are allowed to call it Parmesan.

But if you are used to eating low quality products, how would be expected to know better?

We don't allow those crappy products to be sold.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Even ignoring that it was made in the USA, real 'Parmesan' is matured for a minimum of twelve months. That thing is matured for ten months. Closer to a Grana Padano.

Then likely there are very many other regulations that are likely flouted in making this cheese.

But if you are used to eating low quality products, how would be expected to know better?

A rose by any other name is still a rose..

You better be Italian, otherwise it's you that's being pedantic and argumentative. You have "appellation controlee" or whatever the cheese version is, as a sop to the Italians and French.

Producers outside the EU have every right to call their cheese parmesan.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Since this is a Thai forum I assume "we"  means Thailand and that's a surprise to me.  I wrote that Foodland has Italian Parmesan cheese not that Stella was Italian.  I don't remember if I saw any Italian Parmesan cheese at Makro. 

40 minutes ago, bobbin said:

A rose by any other name is still a rose..

You better be Italian, otherwise it's you that's being pedantic and argumentative. You have "appellation controlee" or whatever the cheese version is, as a sop to the Italians and French.

Producers outside the EU have every right to call their cheese parmesan.

Ignorance is bliss....

That's probably because you are used to eating low quality produce.

I prefer to have some confidence that my food is produced to certain standards.

You can carry on eating your GM crap, chlorinated chicken, hormone injected beef....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Since this is a Thai forum I assume "we"  means Thailand and that's a surprise to me.  I wrote that Foodland has Italian Parmesan cheese not that Stella was Italian.  I don't remember if I saw any Italian Parmesan cheese at Makro. 

No. "We" refers to entities that maintain high standards of food production. I'm afraid I cannot include Thailand in that description.

'Parmesan' is from a region of Italy. Anything else is perhaps made in the style of Parmesan.

We should have standards to ensure the quality of what we are eating. Otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry can produce any old poo and trick people into thinking they are buying something else.

So these classifications provide for quality control.

For instance, I purchased Houmous in Big C that was imported from Australia. It isn't cheap.

It went straight in the bin after the first taste. Absolutely disgusting

If that is to what you have become accustomed, how would you know better?

So, thank goodness we have standards. 

It's not Parmesan. It might be made in the style of Parmesan.

I bought 'parmesan' in the USA. It's a joke. Completely different. Melts like Mozzarella.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

No. "We" refers to entities that maintain high standards of food production. I'm afraid I cannot include Thailand in that description.

'Parmesan' is from a region of Italy. Anything else is perhaps made in the style of Parmesan.

We should have standards to ensure the quality of what we are eating. Otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry can produce any old poo and trick people into thinking they are buying something else.

So these classifications provide for quality control.

For instance, I purchased Houmous in Big C that was imported from Australia. It isn't cheap.

It went straight in the bin after the first taste. Absolutely disgusting

If that is to what you have become accustomed, how would you know better?

So, thank goodness we have standards. 

It's not Parmesan. It might be made in the style of Parmesan.

I bought 'parmesan' in the USA. It's a joke. Completely different. Melts like Mozzarella.

I guess there is only one kind of lager beer?  Or only one kind of pale ale?  Or one kind of porter?  Or one kind of Cheddar cheese? Or one kind of Bourbon? Or one kind of Caesar dressing? Or one kind of Brie?

The words Parmigiano-Reggiano stenciled on the rind mean that the cheese was produced in the areas of Bologna, Mantua, Modena, or Parma (from which the name of this cheese originated).

Parmesan is the English and American translation of the Italian word Parmigiano-Reggiano.

In the United States, the word "Parmesan" is not regulated. A cheese labeled as Parmesan in the United States might be genuine Parmigiano-Reggiano, but it's more likely to be an imitation. Most U.S. versions are typically aged a minimum of 10 months.

In the United States, the word "Parmesan" is not regulated. A cheese labeled as Parmesan in the United States might be genuine Parmigiano-Reggiano, but it's more likely to be an imitation. Most U.S. versions are typically aged a minimum of 10 months.

For example I like Castello Brie.  I've tried 50 other kinds and what you see below is my favorite.  I don't know where it is made or what you think about it.  It is my favorite brie.  I don't care what "We" think about it. 

Being an American I think Parmesan is a style of cheese and not a brand name.  I don't care what anyone else thinks about it.  To me that is a meaningless discussion.  Try a cheese if you don't like it don't buy it after doing due diligence like reading about it on ThaiVisa.  

Brie.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I guess there is only one kind of lager beer?  Or only one kind of pale ale?  Or one kind of porter?  Or one kind of Cheddar cheese? Or one kind of Bourbon? Or one kind of Caesar dressing? Or one kind of Brie?

The words Parmigiano-Reggiano stenciled on the rind mean that the cheese was produced in the areas of Bologna, Mantua, Modena, or Parma (from which the name of this cheese originated).

Parmesan is the English and American translation of the Italian word Parmigiano-Reggiano.

For example I like Castello Brie.  I've tried 50 other kinds and what you see below is my favorite.  I don't know where it is made or what you think about it.  It is my favorite brie.  I don't care what "We" think about it. 

Being an American I think Parmesan is a style of cheese and not a brand name.  I don't care what anyone else thinks about it.  To me that is a meaningless discussion.  Try a cheese if you don't like it don't buy it after doing due diligence like reading about it on ThaiVisa.  

Brie.jpg

I didn't bother to read it all.

Eat what you like. Your opinion doesn't matter to anyone but yourself.

Now if I had to eat your food, it would be a different story.

The fact that it isn't regulated speaks volumes in itself. Americans are so used to eating crap, that they actually think that it is good.

I was stunned by the poor quality food products I saw on a daily basis sold in the USA.

Of course not everything is crap. But I feel sorry for people who don't have much money in the USA, because they get the worst of the worst.

So if you think that is Parmesan....up to you.

• Like 1

The point is not that the cheese was parmesan reggiano or not but that it was cut with 25%(from Thai label) cassava, wheat and corn flours where as in English it just list 'Food Starch'  'Cellulose' could have also been sawdust (Joking of course, they do have their use)

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

There's only one kind of Champagne though

To be fair 'Parmesan' is not a protected origin term, Parmigiano-Reggiano

If you think of it as more of a 'trademark' then there's only one kind of Coke too