Galaxy Note FE

JAS21

I see these being advertised. I like the Note just for the pen ... more easy to 'hit' the letter that you aim at.

I have a Note4 ...but it's aging and eats my battery.

So anyone have one ...any expert have an opinion ... thanks

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Good phone and good value, I have had one for a few months also bought one for the gf. No problems except finding replacement covers (Thai girls like to change every month?) it is not a common phone.

Look on Lazada, there seems to be plenty there and delivered to your door free. Also thinking about changing to the Note 8 FE. When you have fat fingers the stylus is a blessing!

1 hour ago, uhuh said:

I have 2

Best value for money

It's a very nice phone, unfortunately 

I had to return mine in the 2016 callback but that was a long time ago now in phone terms..... 

Best value these days is in the Chinese brands and they don't sacrifice quality like they used to

• Confused 1

I had to return mine in the 2016 callback but that was a long time ago now in phone terms..... 

I believe, but by now have no real idea, that we are talking about the Samsung Galaxy Note FE (fan edition) which was announced in July 2017, and is available at Lazada for 12,378 baht here:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/samsung-galaxy-note-fe-fan-edition-64-gb-i245642638-s378205971.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.d4757262vYZ3X1&search=1

which doesn't exactly compare well to the Chinese Meizu 15 Plus available for 13,386 baht here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Meizu-15-Plus-4G-LTE-6GB-64GB-Exynos-8895-Octa-Core-5-95-2560x1440P-Fingerprint/32870231325.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.1.2c9ca644yfTTlC&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=76e2bdb1-ce07-4631-907d-798d6e24a78f

as the Meizu has a bigger screen, more memory, a faster processor, a bigger battery. a better camera, and better speakers:

https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/comparison/f3f1ffcfa

but the Samsung is narrower, had a very good camera and battery, and also good sound output, not to mention the stylus.  It is also a good value.

Edited by daocat555
fix typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daocat555 said:

I believe, but by now have no real idea, that we are talking about the Samsung Galaxy Note FE (fan edition) which was announced in July 2017, and is available at Lazada for 12,378 baht here:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/samsung-galaxy-note-fe-fan-edition-64-gb-i245642638-s378205971.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.d4757262vYZ3X1&search=1

which doesn't exactly compare well to the Chinese Meizu 15 Plus available for 13,386 baht here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Meizu-15-Plus-4G-LTE-6GB-64GB-Exynos-8895-Octa-Core-5-95-2560x1440P-Fingerprint/32870231325.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.1.2c9ca644yfTTlC&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=76e2bdb1-ce07-4631-907d-798d6e24a78f

as the Meizu has a bigger screen, more memory, a faster processor, a bigger battery. a better camera, and better speakers:

https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/comparison/f3f1ffcfa

but the Samsung is narrower, had a very good camera and battery, and also good sound output, not to mention the stylus.  It is also a good value.

For  the same money I'd probably get the poco 6/128 and I'm buying Samsung phones since the s2 came out.... 

• Like 1

I have one for ten months now, pretty good so far

the good point is that when I bought it (for 20,000 then)it was last year's flagship for middle tier price, at the price they're now just above 10,000 is great value.

Great features that make me reluctant to replace it with newer Samsung models for 2 reason: Probably the last model with finger print reader in front home button and no stupid Bixby button

Bad point is that cases are hard to come by, there's one in the box but if you go through that it's hard to find in the shop.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, digbeth said:

I have one for ten months now, pretty good so far

the good point is that when I bought it (for 20,000 then)it was last year's flagship for middle tier price, at the price they're now just above 10,000 is great value.

Great features that make me reluctant to replace it with newer Samsung models for 2 reason: Probably the last model with finger print reader in front home button and no stupid Bixby button

Bad point is that cases are hard to come by, there's one in the box but if you go through that it's hard to find in the shop.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-LINE-GEL-CASE-COVER-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-FOR-SAMSUNG-GALAXY-NOTE-FE-FAN-EDITION/192332043949?hash=item2cc7e216ad%3Am%3AmyxPmSAJ9PAm_P9LYCTaoUg&var=492287130163&LH_BIN=1

• Like 2

So the main difference between samsung note 8 and samsung note FE is the screen size ?

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8505&idPhone2=8683

6.3 inches, 101.1 cm2 (~83.2% screen-to-body ratio)

5.7 inches, 89.6 cm2 (~79.0% screen-to-body ratio)

Xiaomi mi max 3 seems better for the price, but the baboon at Mi shop didn't have a model to show (they had stock to sell but no model to show !) and didn't want to open it before I pay it, Xiaomi is not better than all the local idiots)

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8505&idPhone2=8683&idPhone3=8963

MI MAX 3 has the biggest screen

6.3 inches, 101.1 cm2 (~83.2% screen-to-body ratio) 5.7 inches, 89.6 cm2 (~79.0% screen-to-body ratio)

6.9 inches, 122.9 cm2 (~79.8% screen-to-body ratio)

Note FE screen is even smaller than MI A2, so this FE phone is quite useless for me, it has nothing interesting:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=9140&idPhone2=8963&idPhone3=8683

The only real choice is between

Xiaomi Mi A2 (Mi 6X)

5.99 inches 128 GB, 6 GB RAM

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-mi-a2-ram6gb-rom128gb-i248561090-s382779308.html

฿9,900.00

and

Xiaomi Mi Max 3

6.9 inches 64 GB, 4 GB RAM

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-mi-max-3-69-12-5-dual-camera-i253281931-s390902600.html

฿9,290.00

(I cannot find the 128 GB, 6 GB RAM version on lazada)

Edited by gaff

I think the OP wants a phone with a stylus.  The only two contenders that I can think of are the Samsung Galaxy Note FE and the Samsung Galaxy Note 9.  Lazada has the Note 9 for 29,800 baht.  I just read the complete review of the Note 9 on gsmarena and it is full of praise for the model. It has stereo speakers, a nice camera, a great battery, a reasonably compact form, and it is expensive.  

Looking for a phone with a stylus there are no other contenders.  If you are willing to do without a stylus then the Google Pixel 3 XL immediately comes to mind.  Per gsmarena is has a 94.4 % screen-to-body ratio, 491 ppi in a 6.71 in OLED screen, stereo speakers, and a more svelte body than the Samsung Note 9.  It will also be expensive, of course.

Here are the three phones compared at gsmarena:

Shifting to devicespecifications allows me to add a fourth phone, so I added the Meizu 16th Plus, which will not be available from Lazada (neither will the Google Pixel XL) but is available at Aliexpress.

Shifting to Kimovil I include the Xiaomi Mi Max 3 (which I personally do not like) and the Huawei Honor Note 10 (which I personally do not like except I like it a lot more than the Xiaomi).  The Huawei Honor Note 10 is available at Lazada for a not very good price of 19,799 baht and available at Aliexpress for 13,355 baht.  To me it is worth the extra 4,000 baht to get stereo speakers, a Super AMOLED screen, a more compact form, more memory,and almost twice the Antutu score.

I didn't include the Xiaomi Mi A2 in any of my comparisons here, because in my opinion it is a flawed model which will fade away with hopefully not too many people actually buying it.

Here are links for Aliexpress for the Huawei Honor Note 10 and the Meizu 16th Plus.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The Huawei Honor 8X Max is now at Lazada and it blows the doors off of both the Huawei Honor Note 10 and the Xiaomi Mi Max 3, and for 10,699 baht in the 4/64 model it is very affordable as big screen big battery phones go.

It has a 5000 mAh battery, a 7.12 in screen, Dolby stereo speakers, and a 210 gram weight with a body width of 86.3 mm which is far from ideal but is the price you must pay for a 7.12 in screen.  It has okay but far from very good cameras.

8 hours ago, daocat555 said:
The Huawei Honor 8X Max is now at Lazada and it blows the doors off of both the Huawei Honor Note 10 and the Xiaomi Mi Max 3, and for 10,699 baht in the 4/64 model it is very affordable as big screen big battery phones go.

It has a 5000 mAh battery, a 7.12 in screen, Dolby stereo speakers, and a 210 gram weight with a body width of 86.3 mm which is far from ideal but is the price you must pay for a 7.12 in screen.  It has okay but far from very good cameras.

Honor note 10 is one of the best  monster phones in most of the comparison tests

6.95" screen  is probably a bit big for pockets if you plan to carry it around

• Like 1

Here are some comparisons:

Ks45627; I agree with you that the Huawei Honor Note 10 is one of the best monster phones and it's combination of AMOLED screen, big battery, big screen and screeching fast 207,590 Antutu score outperforms all the compared phones except the Samsung Note 9 which is far more expensive with a smaller screen,

I guess it comes down to which features a buyer wants.  The biggest screen (Honor 8X Max), the easiest to carry in a pocket (Honor 8X or Samsung Note 9), the most affordable (Honor 8X)?  What Antutu score do you want?  What size screen?  What weight and battery size?  Do you want a high end camera (Samsung Note 9, Meizu 16th Plus).

For me, if someone were to offer me one of the above as a gift I would want the Samsung Note 9 but I will not be voting with my debit card on this matter.  It's too expensive and my cup of tea is a small and light phone, I study these big boys more as an exercise in engineering.

And just to end with another fantasy phone model, the Pixel 3 XL will be pure Android Pie out of the box, is expected to have a 94.44% display area so that the 6.7 in AMOLED screen comes in a very compact body size for such a screen size and add wireless charging and NFC and a price tag higher than the Samsung Note 9 and you get a very nice total package at a very high price.  Here it is compared to the newly announced Apple iPhone XS Max, which to me it outperforms making the Pixel 3 XL the leading monster phone of the pack.

4 minutes ago, daocat555 said:
Here are some comparisons:

Ks45627; I agree with you that the Huawei Honor Note 10 is one of the best monster phones and it's combination of AMOLED screen, big battery, big screen and screeching fast 207,590 Antutu score outperforms all the compared phones except the Samsung Note 9 which is far more expensive with a smaller screen,

I guess it comes down to which features a buyer wants.  The biggest screen (Honor 8X Max), the easiest to carry in a pocket (Honor 8X or Samsung Note 9), the most affordable (Honor 8X)?  What Antutu score do you want?  What size screen?  What weight and battery size?  Do you want a high end camera (Samsung Note 9, Meizu 16th Plus).

For me, if someone were to offer me one of the above as a gift I would want the Samsung Note 9 but I will not be voting with my debit card on this matter.  It's too expensive and my cup of tea is a small and light phone, I study these big boys more as an exercise in engineering.

And just to end with another fantasy phone model, the Pixel 3 XL will be pure Android Pie out of the box, is expected to have a 94.44% display area so that the 6.7 in AMOLED screen comes in a very compact body size for such a screen size and add wireless charging and NFC and a price tag higher than the Samsung Note 9 and you get a very nice total package at a very high price.  Here it is compared to the newly announced Apple iPhone XS Max, which to me it outperforms making the Pixel 3 XL the leading monster phone of the pack.

Over $1000 is  getting into the too much money category imo, especially as phones get better /cheaper every quarter 

But if you want to buy something that's on the bleeding edge of technical engineering then that's fine ( I did myself for many years) but I'm pretty hard on phones and have broken/lost a good few in the last decade

Now I think the distance is closing and you can save a fortune buying last year's flagships that are just a shade worse in the benchmarks but nothing you would notice

207,000 in antutu is still a respectable score and won't feel "slow" for a couple of years I think

A Pocophone xl might get me interested if it had the same fast internals coupled with a 6.9" amoled screen and a 5500mah battery etc 

So far I'm pretty happy with the mate 10 pro, 4000mah but Huawei supercharge gets it to 60% in half an hour but no doubt the upcoming  mate 20 Pro will probably make it look like electronic scrap... ? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 10:36 PM, digbeth said:

My original case is still holding up. Now that you have reminded me I might go to Power Buy next month after I get into town and see if they can source any original cases and keep one for spare. Otherwise I will try to buy one in Hong Kong, but not so easy as the FE was only sold there as a grey model. Some Note 7 stuff still knocking around though.

On 10/5/2018 at 10:16 PM, SheungWan said:

My original case is still holding up. Now that you have reminded me I might go to Power Buy next month after I get into town and see if they can source any original cases and keep one for spare. Otherwise I will try to buy one in Hong Kong, but not so easy as the FE was only sold there as a grey model. Some Note 7 stuff still knocking around though.

Order it from the ebay link for ~$0.99

I get them all the time