Wife Using Her Forigen Licence to Get a Thai one

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

She could have updated her Thai ID and then come back.

Yes she could, but we're not sure all the hassle of changing her name would be worth it. She managed a UK driving and theory test, so should be able to get through the Thai test, if she ever gets round to it.....

To the OP; most of the answers here are about foreigners driving, we're OK for a while on a foreign licence + IDP.  As your wife is Thai, the rules may be different, there will be few on here who can answer authoritatively on  your somewhat unusual circumstances.  

IMO, to be safe, inquire directly with the Land Transport Office for the area you're visiting - have your wife do it by email in Thai, print & keep the answer in case the BIB argue.

12 hours ago, Tofer said:

My Thai wife was refused an automatic issue of a Thai 

licence as she hadn't change her name on her Thai ID and passport from her maiden name. Her UK licence was in her married name and therefore did not match her Thai ID - refused!

I walked out with a Thai licence and my wife has to sit the test.

As others have said she could have changed her name on her ID simple and free. Takes around 20 minutes. Problem solved.

My wife had a new ID in married name, licence in single name she didn't have a problem getting a new licence, seems it's what DLT you use.   

11 hours ago, fredob43 said:

As others have said she could have changed her name on her ID simple and free. Takes around 20 minutes. Problem solved.

My wife had a new ID in married name, licence in single name she didn't have a problem getting a new licence, seems it's what DLT you use.   

Not so simple when you consider there is land / property, cars and motorbikes, tabien baan, wi-if & phone contracts, etc. etc. to change the name to also!

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Not so simple when you consider there is land / property, cars and motorbikes, tabien baan, wi-if & phone contracts, etc. etc. to change the name to also!

We had the same problem with changing names M/C have left in madden name. Also house/land. Phone Wi/fi we changed when we went in to pay one time took about 2 minutes. Likewise the insurance on house.

She can still use her madden name if she wants to pay things, like electric water.

Car in in my name she doesn't get everything.

Archived