Wife Using Her Forigen Licence to Get a Thai one

So Mrs CLB has not been in Thailand for many years, he license has expired. Can she use her unrestricted Australian one to go to Chaing Wanttana driving centre and get one based on the Aussie one Like I did ?

She has PR, no Aust Passport yet.

What's the latest on using a $10 International one based on the Aussie one ?

Only planning to be in country for a week, but  would like to drive still of course.

Thx.

50 minutes ago, Chao Lao Beach said:

So it's called a International Driving Permit (IDP) $39

Do you still need them in Thailand, Thais don't need them in Oz. 

Says here, the mob wanting $39 that you need one. https://www.aaa.asn.au/international-motoring/driving-overseas/

From what I understand an Oz DL needs a IDP because there DL's are all issued in different states,  many Thai police have got IDP on the brain so best to get one to save any aggro while your here.

Thai law is not 100% clear if an IDP is required (if the license is from a country which also signed and ratified the 1949 IDP convention), but to be safe you better have one (one according to the 1949 IDP convention)

Officially you need a 1949 IDP to convert it to a Thai license, but this may be handled differently by each DLT

37 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Thai law is not 100% clear if an IDP is required (if the license is from a country which also signed and ratified the 1949 IDP convention), but to be safe you better have one (one according to the 1949 IDP convention)

Officially you need a 1949 IDP to convert it to a Thai license, but this may be handled differently by each DLT

That maybe the law, but everyone I know who has a full driving licence from UK OZ USA & EU has been able change that to a Thai one without a test. And that includes me.

48 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

That maybe the law, but everyone I know who has a full driving licence from UK OZ USA & EU has been able change that to a Thai one without a test. And that includes me. 

And on this forum you will find several reports of people who were denied to do so. As said before, depends on the DLT.

As far as I know, a foreign, non-Thai driving license is only legal to use in Thailand for the first three months.

In my case I needed an IDP, proof of residence (valid visa), medical certificate, lots of fotocopies. My driving license from back home wasn't asked for.

Looks like you'll just have to go to the authorities with all the documents you have + fotocopies and find out.

45 minutes ago, cooked said:

In my case I needed an IDP, proof of residence (valid visa), medical certificate, lots of fotocopies. My driving license from back home wasn't asked for.

That is just proof that the DLTs really don't know their asses from their elbows. IDP is only valid when used in conjunction with the foreign licence it was issued for.

If they asked for both, that might make sense !!

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

That is just proof that the DLTs really don't know their asses from their elbows. IDP is only valid when used in conjunction with the foreign licence it was issued for.

If they asked for both, that might make sense !!

not sure whether I was treated by an elbow or a bum

I got my first DLs in Udon Thani,

I provided the following;

my IDP, my passport, medical ticket, and a GF with copy of ID-card and Tabien Baan,

then they counted my eyes and checked that I could distinguish between green, yellow and red

quick quick 20 minutes and out with my two DLs.

2 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

I just got a Thai DL based on my Queensland (Australia) DL and Int DL. They seemed equally interested in both documents and wanted signed photocopies of same. Mercifully no exam, just the Medical Report, colour, reaction time and depth perception tests.

what is a depth perception test  ??

8 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

what is a depth perception test  ??

Firstly that's my name for it but let me describe it. A device with a square window of 20 x 20 cm is about two meters in front of you. Inside the window are two vertical white poles, pencil shaped and size. One is closer to you, the other is further away. You are given a control box and use a knob on it to cause the pole on the left to move forward towards you. The objective is to stop the pole adjacent to the fixed pole. The examiner watches side on to the device. Both the Thai wife and I got it first time. (TW was extending her DL to a five year version.)

23 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Not me. I have the old style UK driving licence (large piece of paper, no photo ID.) Wasn't accepted by the Land Office and had to do the full test.

13 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

Firstly that's my name for it but let me describe it. A device with a square window of 20 x 20 cm is about two meters in front of you. Inside the window are two vertical white poles, pencil shaped and size. One is closer to you, the other is further away. You are given a control box and use a knob on it to cause the pole on the left to move forward towards you. The objective is to stop the pole adjacent to the fixed pole. The examiner watches side on to the device. Both the Thai wife and I got it first time. (TW was extending her DL to a five year version.)

thanks,

think I understand that, have never seen anything like it though

(kinda digression, but still; I have an old friend, professor emeritus in psychiatry

one of his pet subjects is that the human eye/brain cannot perceive depth as such at a glance,

he claims that human's immediate perception is 2-dimensional only

the understanding of depth comes from empirii (years of training/experience) and cognitive processes

he has demonstrated that on TV several times, putting people in an unfamiliar environment on the stage,

fooling their vision with some unknown objects  and some mirrors - and people just fall over - they just can't stand up)

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not me. I have the old style UK driving licence (large piece of paper, no photo ID.) Wasn't accepted by the Land Office and had to do the full test.

Don't know which Land Office you went to, but I have the old-style British licence - now just about to expire - and I had no problem obtaining a Thai licence on the back of it. Though that was last year. 

Wonder if you had to do the same 'full test' as Thai 'drivers'.

17 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Don't know which Land Office you went to, but I have the old-style British licence - now just about to expire - and I had no problem obtaining a Thai licence on the back of it. Though that was last year. 

DLT near Pattaya. And yes, same test as Thais. Quite an experience. Will post my experience later, if it's not too off topic.

25 minutes ago, Spidey said:

DLT near Pattaya. And yes, same test as Thais. Quite an experience. Will post my experience later, if it's not too off topic.

Many thanks. This is interesting. Took my old style paper UK licence into local police station and asked if valid. Was told if currently valid in UK then valid in Thailand.

If she has previosly held a Thai driving license  and let it expire it does not mater that she has a Aus license she will have to retake the Thai driving test again.This happened to my wife even though she had a Uk license and International Driving Permit and could legally drive inThailand they made her retake the test.

US citizen for Drivers license 1 year 8 months ago without having to take the written and driving test.

Current US drivers license (Car and Moto),IDL, health check (ability to hand  payment across the counter without assistance).As well as the items others listed above. 

Red,Yellow,Green light and braking test......

Thaat at was it. Make sure to tell them your applying for car and moto (if your country DL shows). US is one license coded are car an moto when applicable. Thailand has one license for car, one license for moto.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

I also had one of those when I did my first licence. They didn't like it but accepted it once I pointed out what the things meant at the bottom of it. Ended up with both a M/C & a Car one.

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Here is the story of my driving test, unembellished and verbatim.

After being refused to convert my UK licence to a Thai licence, I booked a driving test.

Went back for the test armed with the relevant paperwork. Handed it all in for processing and was told to go to a small room with rows of wooden benches and no air con, where I would be shown 3 one hour videos ( the Thais were watching their videos in a large air conditioned room with seats).

Half way through the 1st video a German guy and myself, desperate for a cigarette and a drink went outside. We did this a couple of times during the first 2 videos. After the second video, everyone stood up and started filing out as they were under the impression that there were only 2 videos. I warned them that there was another video but they didn't believe me. Before the last person had left the room, the admin girl was ushering them back into the room and put a 3rd video on. She also warned us that if anyone left the room again we would all have our tests cancelled.

During the 3rd video I began to sweat profusely as the room was very hot and I was running a temperature due to a chest infection. I went to the back of the room and stood in the entrance of the open door to try and cool down. A large woman (sumo wrestler) wearing an army uniform and half a ton of gold braid rushed out of the office opposite, grabbed my arm and tried to push me back into the room, shouting "You go back in NOW!". I explained my predicament and also pointed out that I could see the video perfectly well from where I was stood. She was having none of it and continued to push me and I finally lost it and gave her a mouthful. She then said, "Give me your name, I get your passport and send to immigration. They deport you." Being slightly worried by this I decided to give a false name, "Mickey Mouse" I replied, she asked me to repeat it, which I did and she marched off to look for my passport. Shortly afterwards the video finished and we were told that, as we had been naughty, we would all have to watch a fourth video. Half way through that video we were told to go home and return the next morning for our practical test.

To be continued.....

My Practical Test

I arrived ahead of time, the next morning, and reported to the office, who told me to go and wait at the test track. This consisted of a track running round a grass square 200m in circumference. The 3 elements of the test were arranged round the far side of the track. In between these three elements, on the grass was a "sentry box" with the examiner stood in it, behind a small desk.

I immediately saw the army officer (now in civvies) stood talking to him and motioning over at me. It was obvious what she was saying.

An hour or so later the tests got under way. Of the group of people that had watched the video with me the previous day, I was the last through. I drove round to the first element, a broad yellow line ran alongside the curb with a one metre wide box section at the end of it. The object of the exercise was to park with your nearside wheels touching the yellow line and your front bumper (fender) within the one metre wide box. No problem. Once stopped, I had to wind my window down and put my arm out of the car. The examiner asked me for my name and proceeded to look for my paperwork. After a cursory shuffle through is paperwork, he said to me, "I not have your paperwork". I knew this was untrue and argued the point with him. All he would say was "I not have, go to office, go, go, go!".

I went back to the office and spoke to the girl who had been administering everything. She insisted that she had definitely given the examiner my paperwork and told me to go back and look for it myself. I went back to the examiner, told him what the girl had said and he had another pathetically cursory shuffle through his paperwork and again declared, "I not have". I snatched the paperwork from him and went through it myself. My paperwork wasn't there. I then noticed one set of paperwork on a shelf under his desk and went to grab it. He beat me to it, held the paperwork above his head and declared "Oh, I have!". He then allowed me to restart the test. I completed the first element without issue and he waved me on to the second element which consisted of a "parking space" deliniated by a number of poles set into little concrete blocks. Before he allowed me to proceed he came over to the box and moved the end row of poles inwards by a metre thus reducing the length of the box. When I questioned his actions he said, "You have small car". Fine, no problem still easy to reverse into the box using 9 gear changes or less. I reversed straight into the box, no gear changes and stuck my arm out of the window. "You fail, go, go, go." he said to me. Steam was now coming out of my ears. I jumped out of the car and asked him how I had failed. He walked across and pointed to the pole nearest my nearside rear and said "You touch". I pointed out to him that I had reversed into the box in one movement and my car was nowhere near the pole. Impossible that I had touched it. He was adamant, "You fail, go, go, go."

I left the track, went back to the office and was told that I could return the next morning, to retake the test. I did this, different examiner, woman, and sailed through the test in 5 minutes. The last element being to drive through a 30 metre line of parallel poles and then reverse back through them. Not a problem.

I was then told to return in the afternoon for the theory test.

To be continued...….

I just showed my aussie licence to get my car and bike licence here but they wouldnt give me a truck licence(I have a heavy truck licence in Australia), the guy at the truck licence desk wanted money to approve it

My Theory Test.

After lunch, I was shown to a room full of computer terminals and sat down at one. I then notice that the guy supervising the test was the examiner who had failed me on my practical test, the previous day. I wasn't too worried as I couldn't see how he could possibly frig the test.

The test consisted of 50 multi choice(out of 4) questions. The pass mark was 45/50. I hadn't revised in any way as I assumed my common sense would carry me through. I had one hour to complete the test. There were only 35 different questions so 15 of them were repeated.

The questions were obscure and obtuse. The ones containing graphics hard to see and some were road signs written in Thai. One of the questions was " When should you not drive a car?" I answered "When you've been drinking". The correct answer was, "When you are having a heart attack".

I probably guessed 50% of the answers and achieved a score of 35. Fail. I was told to return the next day at noon to resit the test.

I arrived at noon to find the DLT closed for lunch and was told that the test would take place at 1 p.m.

I sat in my car playing with my 'phone and found 2 sites on the internet with the 35 questions and answers.

One site had the questions and multi choice answers, with the correct answer highlighted. The other was inter active, you did the test online and were given your score at the end. I spent 30 minutes revising with the 2 sites and was eventually able to achieve a score of 50/50.

I went in at 1pm, sat down and did the test. I completed the test in 10 minutes and achieved a score of 49/50. 

Finally, after 5 days, I had my licence!

My first car licence, 2 yrs expired June last year. With IDP and my Vic licence I didn't have to take the theory or video tests and was on a METV which I couldn't renew. All finished in 20 min.

Two weeks ago I applied for new licence, on Non Imm visa and rules have all changed. Even though my licence expired more than one year ago, they gave me a 5yr licence this time. I still have current IDP and Vic licence, but had to sit by the new rules in place for anyone, Thai, and or farang. Seven hours in and out and full test include video theory and computer test. Pass is 90%, so 45 correct from 50 questions. Luckily I had 45 correct, but some questions have ridiculous answers, be warned. You can download some Q+A of 30 test questions. 

On 9/8/2018 at 12:39 PM, fredob43 said:

My Thai wife was refused an automatic issue of a Thai 

licence as she hadn't change her name on her Thai ID and passport from her maiden name. Her UK licence was in her married name and therefore did not match her Thai ID - refused!

I walked out with a Thai licence and my wife has to sit the test.

Archived