Name of this fruit in English?

katzistan

Came across this fruit at Or Tor Kor today, it's called ลูกรังแข in Thai, but can't find an English translation. I found it as 'lang khae' on a couple sites. It's kind of like a smaller, sweeter version of a santol. The fruit is very sweet, almost cotton candy-like. The rind is very hard and requires a knife to cut. Anyone know if there's an English name for this?

langkhae2.jpg

langkhae.jpg

langkhae3.jpg

According to a book I have (PROSEA No 2 Edible Fruits and Nuts), tampoi is a Malaysian name for Baccaurea ramiflora, with English name Burmese grape. The Thai names given for this species are mafai, somfai and hamkang. There are other species of Baccaurea, so the fruit in your photo may be from one of the other species; perhaps Baccaurea dulcis? (With English name shown as "Ketupa" but no Thai name is given). 

• Like 1

By the way, I noticed in the photo that the durian is priced at 150 baht/kg. That alone is a lot of money to pay for fruit but when you deduct the weight of the shell and seeds, I guess the price per kilogram of edible flesh is going to be at least 2 times that. That's an incredible price for a tree fruit produced in Thailand. The reason it is so high is because China is sucking out most of the durian produced in Thailand. Consequently I bet per capita consumption of durian by Thai people is lower that it was say 10 - 20 years ago.  A similar trend has happened with avocado in Mexico. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, JungleBiker said:

According to a book I have (PROSEA No 2 Edible Fruits and Nuts), tampoi is a Malaysian name for Baccaurea ramiflora, with English name Burmese grape. The Thai names given for this species are mafai, somfai and hamkang. There are other species of Baccaurea, so the fruit in your photo may be from one of the other species; perhaps Baccaurea dulcis? (With English name shown as "Ketupa" but no Thai name is given). 

Huh - when you google 'tampoi', you come up with pictures that look like this - check out the Wikipedia page here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccaurea_macrocarpa. (Note that it's baccaurea macrocarpa, not ramiflora.) Definitely had 'mafai' here, and these were not that. Mafai is normally translated in English as 'Burmese grape'.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 8:27 AM, JungleBiker said:

Consequently I bet per capita consumption of durian by Thai people is lower that it was say 10 - 20 years ago.  A similar trend has happened with avocado in Mexico. 

Could be BUT, they produce more of it than they did 20 years ago, so maybe not. A whole lot more.