Starbucks

Badrabbit

4 hours ago, joe999 said:

You don't go to Starbucks for coffee, overpriced, sucks, like most coffee in Thailand. Bitter and roasted for too long, to hide the low quality of the beans. Best expressos are from Portugal, better than Spain's and Italy's, by a mile! Nespresso is a good and tasty alternative, the best that you can get here. Simple to make, consistent and no need to become a barista. 

FWIW I like the Doi Wiang beans which I use to make my own coffee at home. Excellent coffee in my humble opinion.

Man, there are just too many other places to get a good coffee without going to Starbucks <as in their prices are out-of-this-world ?$?$?฿>.  But thanks to their corporate virtue signaling, they are a good place to use the loo.  :whistling:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

If it is any consolation.This may help you deal with the price hikes at Starbuck's: if you consider you can read the Bangkok Post or Nation for free. Factor that savings into the price and it may not hurt so much.

In the USA don't they pay college tuition for all employees who want to go to school?

On 9/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, Psimbo said:

I'd rather have a decent cup of coffee at home. Never, ever, been in a Starbucks and don't plan to.

LOL> it's not about drinking coffee. It's about relaxing somewhere while the wife is shopping for makeup, clothes and other girly things. I also have plenty of coffee at home. Just in case you didn't know, they have a lot of non-coffee beverages and very tasty cakes and other food items.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:16 AM, schlog said:

Real espresso you will find in italy. Not at Starbucks or with a Nespresso.

BTW paid last week each time about 1 Euro for my espresso in Milano.

I'm sure the members of Milano Visa will soon tell you that you paid too much for your espresso and the best Italian espressos are brewed in Rome.

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2018 at 3:16 PM, schlog said:

Real espresso you will find in italy. Not at Starbucks or with a Nespresso.

BTW paid last week each time about 1 Euro for my espresso in Milano.

i agree about italy being great for espresso but you can find what an italian calls real espresso outside italy. in thailand a small % of shops are capable through training, experience, good technology and good properly roasted beans.   

i have roasting, barista and espresso machine repair experience. have owned espresso lever and electric pump machines both home and commercial.   in thailand the segafredo coffee shops do a decent job at espresso. theres also some thai owned places that are preferred destinations by italian expats.

i used to use a small nespresso machine for travel. given its portability and coffees available imo its not half bad.

in pattaya Benjamit Coffee Roasters is quite like being in rustic italy and they do espresso right. grinders are set up right and a new la marzocco leva machine is used.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:
2 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

If it is any consolation.This may help you deal with the price hikes at Starbuck's: if you consider you can read the Bangkok Post or Nation for free. Factor that savings into the price and it may not hurt so much.

In the USA don't they pay college tuition for all employees who want to go to school?

only if you major in gender studies

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Why in the hell would you drink Starbucks with so many thai coffee venders on the streets. 

By the same token, "why in hell" would you drink coffee at a coffee vendor on the streets when you can grab a cheap jar of coffee at the local supermarket and make it at home?... or you could make a thermos full of coffee and carry it around. That will save you money.

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, swissman53 said:

This is my coffee machine from Lazada, 2000 Bath. Makes an exellent coffee. Makro has nice coffee for a good price.

Starbuks has no idea how to make a good coffee and is far to expensive....

bb2fc8dde45d831595a4521c2db4c66a.jpeg

problem with such a machine is typically the water tem3p control is not good and it used pressurized portafilter baskets. unless you use pods still need a decent grinder. these machine are usually light and will dance around when you insert the portafilter.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

By the same token, "why in hell" would you drink coffee at a coffee vendor on the streets when you can grab a cheap jar of coffee at the local supermarket and make it at home?... or you could make a thermos full of coffee and carry it around. That will save you money.

given the choice of starbucks very overpriced flavored milk with coffee or seven eleven 14 baht sweetened milk coffee i choose seven eleven.  many seven elevens have mini coffee shops and make starbuck comparable drinks for much less.

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
14 minutes ago, tropo said:

By the same token, "why in hell" would you drink coffee at a coffee vendor on the streets when you can grab a jar of coffee and make it at home?... or you could make a thermos full of coffee and carry it around. That will save you money.

What about the crema?

a survey on this forum would not yield a high % know what crema is though italian expats sure would

6 minutes ago, atyclb said:

given the choice of starbucks very overpriced flavored milk with coffee or seven eleven 14 baht sweetened milk coffee i choose seven eleven.  many seven elevens have mini coffee shops and make starbuck comparable drinks for much less.

Standing around in or outside a 7Eleven to save money on coffee is rather desperate. You're probably getting 14 teaspoons of sugar in that sweetened milk coffee too - bargain!