Starbucks

Badrabbit

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

coffee aficionados gripe is about over roasted beans. even the greatest bean becomes bitter when roasted too long. I do home roasting usually ethiopian beans. Special taste when done right. all of Thai friends that know Starbucks say my espresso and capuchino is better. agree not everyone has commercial espresso equipment at home.

as a meeting place or relax place its ok but I must bite the bullet drinkingvtheir coffee. also they switched to fully automatic espresso machines infamous for less cream in espresso.

Life must be tough when you're so damn fussy about your coffee. I think you have a problem. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, tropo said:

Life must be tough when you're so damn fussy about your coffee. I think you have a problem. 

Knowing about something can dramatically increase the pleasure we derive from it.

To the person who is mindful of the history of espresso - the consumption of that can be a profound event — a minor miracle, in fact. To most people, consumption of espresso is not a miracle — it is just a strong little cup of coffee.

The founder of the La Pavoni company bought the patent and from 1905 produced espresso machines commercially on a small scale in Milan.

I went through a learning process starting with my mother’s percolator and then a french press, mocha pot and finally my first Pavoni.

Like anything some people are satisfied with a Ford and others want an Aston Martin DB4.

Luckily for me one can have the best espresso for much less than an Aston Martin.

pavoni.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Knowing about something can dramatically increase the pleasure we derive from it.

To the person who is mindful of the history of espresso - the consumption of that can be a profound event — a minor miracle, in fact. To most people, consumption of espresso is not a miracle — it is just a strong little cup of coffee.

The founder of the La Pavoni company bought the patent and from 1905 produced espresso machines commercially on a small scale in Milan.

I went through a learning process starting with my mother’s percolator and then a french press, mocha pot and finally my first Pavoni.

Like anything some people are satisfied with a Ford and others want an Aston Martin DB4.

Luckily for me one can have the best espresso for much less than an Aston Martin.

pavoni.jpeg

nice pavoni. you can do pressure profiling on that and don't need a multithousand euro machine like a lm strada.

Edited by atyclb

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

your empathy is truly heartwarming and I find solice within it.

Yes, I do feel for you. I can grab an instant coffee, a 3-in-1 coffee, a brewed coffee at home, a Starbucks coffee or a coffee from any one of a number of coffee shops in Thailand and be quite content. You can only drink stuff made by your expensive commercial equipment at home. That is hard work.

14 hours ago, tropo said:

Yes, I do feel for you. I can grab an instant coffee, a 3-in-1 coffee, a brewed coffee at home, a Starbucks coffee or a coffee from any one of a number of coffee shops in Thailand and be quite content. You can only drink stuff made by your expensive commercial equipment at home. That is hard work.

if u follow this topic and my posts you may become enlightened about 3 n 1, and All cafe at seven11. brewing an espresso takes 30 seconds or less. brewed American style coffee multiples of that.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

if u follow this topic and my posts you may become enlightened about 3 n 1, and All cafe at seven11. brewing an espresso takes 30 seconds or less. brewed American style coffee multiples of that.

It might be time for you to revise the OP here so you can become somewhat enlightened about the topic.

Here it is to save you the trip back to page #1:

Original Post: 

Badrabbit said:

Quote:

"Wow Starbucks just increased there prices, Latte 16oz now up by 15bht from 130 to 145bht, yes it's only 15bht you say but I come here a lot, oh well s%$t happens!"

Badrabbit is a Starbucks customer who is complaining about a price rise, not the coffee. He likes Starbucks. If he didn't he wouldn't be complaining about the price. Even if he doesn't like the price, I don't think a suggestion that he might want to consider buying a commercial espresso machine and going home to make his own coffee is relevant to this discussion.

The time it takes to brew an espresso at home is also totally irrelevant. How long would it take to go home, make the espresso, drink it, then travel back to the mall again? And then when I get back to the mall again I may want another coffee after the stress of dealing with traffic and parking the car. LOL The 15 baht price rise would be cheaper than the back and forth travel.

Perhaps a new thread dedicated to the value of commercial espresso machines would be appropriate. That would be a good place to voice your opinions on instant coffee and coffee shop coffee in general.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

It might be time for you to revise the OP here so you can become somewhat enlightened about the topic.

Here it is to save you the trip back to page #1:

Original Post: 

Badrabbit said:

Quote:

"Wow Starbucks just increased there prices, Latte 16oz now up by 15bht from 130 to 145bht, yes it's only 15bht you say but I come here a lot, oh well s%$t happens!"

Badrabbit is a Starbucks customer who is complaining about a price rise, not the coffee. He likes Starbucks. If he didn't he wouldn't be complaining about the price. Even if he doesn't like the price, I don't think a suggestion that he might want to consider buying a commercial espresso machine and going home to make his own coffee is relevant to this discussion.

The time it takes to brew an espresso at home is also totally irrelevant. How long would it take to go home, make the espresso, drink it, then travel back to the mall again? And then when I get back to the mall again I may want another coffee after the stress of dealing with traffic and parking the car. LOL The 15 baht price rise would be cheaper than the back and forth travel.

Perhaps a new thread dedicated to the value of commercial espresso machines would be appropriate. That would be a good place to voice your opinions on instant coffee and coffee shop coffee in general.

my twisted logic is making espresso or cappuccino when at home typically at the start of the day.

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
3 hours ago, atyclb said:

nice. It pulls the shot on the return up of lever, like my antique faema.

can it be directly plumbed in.

I don't see how.  Need to move up one model and that eliminates the lever in my experience. 

this is faemina I rebuilt. Works fine but no real temp control and outer body is not insulated so easy to burn yourself. Circa 1950-1960images (4).jpeg

Edited by atyclb

This thread has gone viral.

I guess half the people replying don't know a thing about good coffee.
Starbucks makes the novice coffee drinker feel special, part of a little club.
I understand why some like it. It's weak and mild for novices.
I just don't understand why people eat their food.
It has to be the poorest quality cakes.
Fake cream in the cakes.

I just don't get it.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I should have looked today as I went to the mall but how much for a Starbucks 1 shot espresso?

I paid 75 baht at Coffee World and took my own roll and extra coffee in a thermos and added it to

the Coffee World espresso.  I got a big Venezuelan coffee with an espresso crema and a Bread Talk roll.  

That is going to be my new procedure.  I make two longos of Nespresso and put them in an .35 L stainless steel thermos and but a shot of espresso at Coffee World.  I can sit at Coffee World or if they are bothered get it to go and sit at the food court at the mall and watch the girls go by.  I have my own Starbucks cups (black and white) and thermos. 

star.jpg

Fake cream in the cakes.

I just don't get it.

I guess everyone has different tastes. I can't see the appeal of a McDonald's, but it would seem it's popular with some people.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sebastion said:

Fake cream in the cakes.

I just don't get it.

Everyone has to conform to your likes?????

• Like 1

Everyone has to conform to your likes?????

No not at all. I never said that.
It's just that there is so many good coffee shops around but people choose this crap.
The food is a disgrace.

Apart from air conditioning and soft seats it offers nothing of value.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sebastion said:

It's just that there is so many good coffee shops around but people choose this crap.
The food is a disgrace.

"Apart from air conditioning and soft seats it offers nothing of value." - maybe the other cafes don't offer air conditioning and soft seats.  Maybe you pay for the air conditioning and soft seats, and get the coffee for free.  ?

5 hours ago, sebastion said:

The food is a disgrace.

Actually, their apple turnovers and cinnamon rolls are very enjoyable. I haven't found anything comparable in Ayutthaya.

17 hours ago, newatthis said:

Actually, their apple turnovers and cinnamon rolls are very enjoyable. I haven't found anything comparable in Ayutthaya.

Starbucks food is fine.  The negatives in this thread are the unusual preconceived ideas with no actual experience. 

That said I think "Bread Talk and Yamazaki bakery" I think are much better as you would expect from a bakery chain.

I tested my thermos bottles and got the following results after 2 hours.  From 212F.  Now I'm taking my coffee from home and buying breakfast form the bakery and eating in the mall food area. 

cof.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 3:40 PM, tropo said:

the all cafe signature hot coffee drink at 7 eleven imo tastes comparable to the starbucks drink and costs 30 baht. sat down in my hotel lobby with it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Starbucks food is fine.  The negatives in this thread are the unusual preconceived ideas with no actual experience. 

I think you meant "usual" but I agree.

I am not a big coffee drinker but like a cuppacino when I go out. Don't like strong and I find Starbucks ok for me and the food I have had from them is also ok. This is my preference only and not going to lose any sleep if someone else goes to a different coffee shop as it appears some people on here would.

10 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the all cafe signature hot coffee drink at 7 eleven imo tastes comparable to the starbucks drink and costs 30 baht. sat down in my hotel lobby with it.

What cup of coffee does Starbucks sell and for how much?  Since Starbucks does not sell a cup of coffee (ha ha) how are you going to compare it? 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What cup of coffee does Starbucks sell and for how much?  Since Starbucks does not sell a cup of coffee (ha ha) how are you going to compare it? 

i woul compare the 7 eleven drink to a starbucks capuchino

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 11:44 AM, Dazinoz said:

Never, ever been to Starbucks. So how do you know not a decent cup of coffee?

Drink black lavazza intense dark roast black coffee cold brewed at home

Have had starbucks in a few countries

All tasted disgustingly bitter like my dad's costco coffee that he makes with  2x the recommended amount of ground coffee.

Order an iced cap? You get hot coffee, ice and sent to mix your own sugars.. for 6$ i have to figure out how to make my own cap when im not qualified at all..

Starbucks is for the braindead. Even the 40 baht doi chang taste better. 7/11 iced cap is pretty good, just ask for less sugar.

Edited by bearpolar
  • Like 1